Project Hydra Warfleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Project Hydra Warfleet

Post by Arcalane »

The first vessel in Hydra's fleets has been identified as the Harbinger. It is a fairly common sight, and is a fast and durable combatant employing beam weapons.

This early shot was released by Hydra itself, presumably so that we would not accidentally fire upon the ships.

Things have changed a little since that release, and these were the first versions we saw on the field. Unsurprising, since old tactical reports suggest that ships were regularly upgraded or refitted, perhaps several times in one day if the situation called for it.

The weapons, dubbed "slicers", are, as with almost all of Hydra's weapons, merely heavily adapted mining tools. Whilst their roots are primitive, the firepower possessed by these mere mining beams is nothing to shrug off. Their combined output can easily rival some heavier beam platforms.

The Harbinger has yet to be seen in action yet, and we have not fully identified all it's subsystems. We expect there to be shielding and point defense systems integrated somehow. Stay tuned.

~~

The second ship in Hydra's armada has been identified as the Forerunner. Somewhere between a battle barge, a support ship and broadsider, the Forerunner packs four turrets capable of dispensing deadly phase torpedoes, as well as a number of defensive slicing beams and a pair of large beams for fire support. It can engage from a fairly respectable range as well.

The Forerunner is small, but fast and powerful. Do not underestimate it - phase torpedoes are initially quite weak, but heavy bombardment can shred even the most durable of ships. Adding insult to injury, the new phase torpedoes are even more powerful than before, and move faster.

The Forerunner is an oddity, but will no doubt prove it's worth in battles to come, where it's long-ranged support firepower will gradually weaken enemy ships to allow others to strike the finishing blow.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

First post updated with the Hydra Forerunner.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

Nice ships Arc, Though the wings/rods on the Harbringer make it look ungainly. And why does the Forerunner remind me of Kira's ships? (OT: Where'd he go?)
PS: Is this somehow related to your sentient robotic warship thing?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Hydra has released an image of a new vessel we may well be seeing a lot of in the near future. The aptly named Holocaust (Dreadnaught class, by MRA standards) looks like quite the bruiser. Whilst no weapon or module data has been released, Hydra will no doubt be fielding heavy offensive weaponry on these ships, possibly using assimilated technology from the war which forced it into hiding.

Shielded engines, numerous hardpoints and heavy armour are the Holocaust's key features. At this rate, it will certainly live up to it's name.

~~

(N.B. for those thinking of starting a lynch mob over the name; the word "holocaust" has been around since well before that incident, and is roughly equivalent to genocide, albeit primarily by fire, or a sacrifice that is completely consumed by flames.)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

neat ships, maybe a little bit heavy on the black coloring?
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

They're very nice, though the internals get iffy at points.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:neat ships, maybe a little bit heavy on the black coloring?
It's dark grey, not black. Get it right. I at least make sure they're visible without lighting behind them. :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

It's dark grey, not black. Get it right. I at least make sure they're visible without lighting behind them. :P
still, making it a little brighter couldn't hurt. will probably look better with the turrets, but still, maybe some more blue?
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:
still, making it a little brighter couldn't hurt. will probably look better with the turrets, but still, maybe some more blue?
We don't need another Spootech fleet flying around. :lol:
I think it's fine as it is, perhaps with some false gradients so the color changes aren't so abrupt.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

We don't need another Spootech fleet flying around. :lol:
no we don't, the original was bad enough /jk :wink:

he could always use the original red color scheme he has on the first 2 ships. anything that would break up the hull, maybe give it a more interesting appearance.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Dark grey/red is rather cliche, though, so I'm only using it for the smaller warships. Dark grey/blue will be the domain of the true capital ships.

Besides, adding more blue could actually make it harder to see - pure blue is a very bad edging colour and I try to use it sparingly and only on internals.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

Dark grey/red is rather cliche, though, so I'm only using it for the smaller warships. Dark grey/blue will be the domain of the true capital ships.

Besides, adding more blue could actually make it harder to see - pure blue is a very bad edging color and I try to use it sparingly and only on internals.
I defer to your extra 2000 posts of experience. blue it is. when's the next update? (eagerly awaits finished cap ship)
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Right now!

Armament;
10x Energy Bolt Cannon
12x Energy Dispersal ("Flak") Bomb Launcher
6x High-Efficiency Hydrogen Bore
6x Shredder Autogun
14x Flak Cannon
2x Point Defense Laser

Defenses;
16x Directed Particle Shield Generator

Not finalized, but getting there.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Update:

Many of the new arrivals were detected with strange fields of what was first assumed to be space debris around them. Closer observation revealed that these scraps of metal were in fact miniscule fighters. Described by Hydra as little more than a reciever, an engine/microreactor and a pair of pulse laser turrets, this new interceptor has been dubbed the Locust, due to their tendency to operate in packs to swarm down on superior fightercraft.

Whilst the Locusts are barely armoured and prone to falling apart at the slightest impact, they are fast and brutally effective against enemy fighters as they prevent far too many targets to easily engage, and are often swift enough to evade enemy fire.

The turrets employ what is described as an 'organic superlubricant' by the Hydra mainframe. It remarks that it's great stuff, and allows the turrets to make a 180° rotation in the blink of a human eye, but that you really have to watch it closely, as it'll try to slide away from you the first chance it gets.
Last edited by Arcalane on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

MASSIVE EXHAUST

I really wish we could change that
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003