Holy Imperial Fleet (Wet navy, 3 Frigates done)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Holy Imperial Fleet (Wet navy, 3 Frigates done)

Post by Kanosint »

After quite some time of absence here, I finally decided to build a ship again. Of course, there'll be a whole fleet with backstories and such, but for now I mainly want some helpful comments on the aesthetics of the hull and loadout.

The fleet consists of high-tech, mainly Torp-oriented religious zealots.
Their bridge also doubles as a place of worship.

Hiyoshi-class Exploration Frigate

This frigate is rather tiny, the bridge only consists of a small chapel, most of the space occupied by electronics. It's sleek, and has powerful radars to make it perfect for exploration and reconaissance. It does not perform well in combat, but it's capable enough in its role.

It has 2 different gun types:

-2x Turret-mounted 6" Naval Guns: Slow-turning, rather weak in damage compared to higher-calibre guns, but for a scouting vessel it's effective enough.
-4x Casemate-housed 5" Naval Guns: Swifter-firing, but not as damaging, shorter-ranged, but useful in close-ranged engagements.

As defence, it has 4 Spirit Fields. These generators each contain one crucified faithful who, through sheer faith and constant chanting, forms a mystical barrier of energy to stop enemy projectiles.
These form quite a grisly sight at that, for they are displayed right at the very top of the bridge, as a circle around all antennae and satellite dishes.

Umenomiya-class Interceptor Frigate

Another light vessel, it only carries a small chapel. It lacks any decent defence and armament, but its speed is high enough to allow for hit and Run tactics. The odd shape also makes it harder to detect, perfect for covert operations.

It has 4x 6" Naval Guns in half-turrets, and 2x 5" casemate-housed guns.
Two taller, arched casemates feature Spirit Fields. During storms, the water will rush over the legs of those thus crucified, which often end up rotten and covered in barnacles.

Yoshida-class Torpedo Frigate(Not finished yet!)

Compared to the previous two Frigates, these silvery beasts are ponderous and huge. They don't carry much in the way of naval guns, but with a sizable church for a bridge, and three torpedo tubes, this frigate is a force to be reckoned with. Its main role is anti-destroyer and anti-cruiser warfare, but the Imperium is developing a powerful anti-capital torpedo which may very well end up on this ship.

With a single rear-turreted 6" naval gun, and only 2x 5" casemate housed guns, it is nigh-on defenceless at the rear and sides, considering there's only a single crucifix mounted on board, the plentiful glass-in-lead windows in the church overlooking their protector. Below deck, lower castes toil away to load the torpedoes, which weigh a little over a ton a piece.
Last edited by Kanosint on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Theres a couple gaps near the back which are disconcerting, but a decent enough ship. Even if you get flamed for it, the 'wet' battleship idea is at least original, and I can appreciate it from trying for the same look on some of my ships. I assume your gonna try bigger ones at some point?
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Hmmm? Oh yes, those... yes, I realized they'd get critique, but somehow I didn't find a way to get 'em closed without looking ugly... Any tips on how to decently solve that?

Thanks for the compliment.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

well section 20s wouldn't look out of place under the circle piece in the back. And not sure if those triangles are supposed to be rudders or seaquest fins or something but maybe edge them in a bit so their touching the main hull. As for the little holes that are actually in the sections, maybe put doodads there...
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Ah, many thanks ^^
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Hmmm, no other comments?

I'd prefer to take out as many errors in one fell sweep as possible ^^
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

I think Ara may have tried something like this a while back.

Novel construction at least.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

DoubleThink wrote:I think Ara may have tried something like this a while back.
Ara's ships all look seafaring anyway.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

Yeah, they do. I think he watched a little too much "Space Battleship Yamato". Kanosint, were you watching it too?
PS: Hey Chief. Can you keep an eye on the Arbiter, that n00b member.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

bien4500 wrote:PS: Hey Chief. Can you keep an eye on the Arbiter, that n00b member.
OT: Of course. :lol:
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Never watched Yamato ^^; I'm just one who enjoys original stuff, which is why I also have a good zeppelin idea too, might do something with that once, but yeah, first I wanna make a fleet like this...

Any other things that I should change with this look? The back's a bit ugly, but I don't have a clue why, save for that hole...
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

There we go, a serious update with 2 new ships.

Island Sinker torpedoes coming soon. These monster-torps will have a miniature nuclear warhead designed to combat cruisers, and even smaller battleships. However, their main use is in bombardment of artificial island installations.