The Random Ship Recipe Maker

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Namigob
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Random Ship Recipe Maker

Post by Namigob »

I have written a computer program that I call the 'Random Ship Recipe Maker'. It is a program that
creates a recipe for a ship that you build with 'Ship Maker'.

download latest version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hw2j14wm94m

7/31/08: version 5.0
Added option to use thrusters.

This is what a random recipe looks like along with the recipe maker GUI.

Image Image

If you like building ships but need some new ideas this may be just what you need. If you want to
build a lot of ships that are similar in strength this may be the program for you. This program may
surprise you by choosing combinations of weapons and engines that you would never have thought
of. If you like putting puzzles together you may like this.

To use the program, first unzip everything into one folder on your hard drive. The program does not
install by itself so you must manually copy the entire folder wherever you want to keep it. I would
recommend that you place it in the 'program files' folder on your hard drive'. If you want to create a
shortcut for convenient access to the program, you can easily create one by right clicking on the
executable file 'BSF_recipe_v4_3.exe'. Then from the pop up menu select 'create shortcut'. Then you
can cut and paste the shortcut anywhere you like, such as on the 'desktop'.

To start the program click on the shortcut you have just made or just click on the file named
'BSF_recipe_v4_3.exe'.

Once you have the program running you select the class of ship that you want to build. There are
nine different classes of ships to choose from. 'Patrol' is the smallest and the next larger class,
'Corvette' is about 20% larger than the previous. Each class increases in size by 20% until you get to
the largest class, 'Dreadnought'.

The program builds the ship recipe using a point system similar to contest rules. Size and points are
equivalent so a ship of size 100 ,destroyer class, would be built from a starting value of 100 points.

Besides class, you have other options to choose when making your recipe. The AI type can be set to
auto, normal, flanking, or broadside. If set to 'auto', the default, the program will choose the AI type.
For smaller ships the 'flanking' AI will be chosen most often. As the ships increase in size the
probability will increase toward 'normal'. For ships that are smaller than 'Battle Cruiser' class,
'broadside' will never be chosen automatically but you can still choose it manually. The larger ships
have a 25% chance of receiving a 'broadside' AI. Ships with the 'broadside' AI are given more HP to
compensate for their (usually) weaker performance in a battle.

The 'section symmetry' option allows you turn symmetry on or off. 'On' is the default and probably
what you will almost always want to use. When symmetry is on each of the ships sections are chosen
in pairs. When it is off your sections will be chosen at random one at a time. It is difficult to create a
balanced and attractive ship when symmetry is off.

The 'space station' option lets you force the ship to become a space station. A recipe for a space
station will adjust the engine for zero acceleration and set the turn rate. Space stations get an
additional HP boost. The sections are generated with many more of the same type to give balance to
the station. If left in the 'auto' mode there is a chance that a recipe for a station will be created
for 'battle cruiser' or larger ships. Small ships generally do not perform well as a space station.

The 'enhance components' option gives four choices. The default 'balanced' option tries to allocate the
points in a balanced way among the various ship components. If you choose to enhance a component,
(weapons, sections, or engine), each of those will get an increase in that area of the ship at the cost of
the others. If for example you enhance the engine, there will be less points for weapons and hull
sections.

The final thing you have to do is pick a name for your ship. Here you have two options, you may enter
a name of your own or let the program generate a random one for you. When you run the program a
name will automatically be given to the ship. If you do not like the random name you may request
the program to generate another or simply type over the one displayed with one of your liking.

After you have all of the options set, simply click on the 'Generate Recipe' button. A new window will
open and display the recipe for your ship. You will notice that along with each of the components of
your ship you will see the cost of each item listed. This is for reference only, you do not actually need
this to build a ship. Look it over and if something about that ship looks wrong then close the recipe
window and click the 'Generate Recipe' button again. After you get a recipe that looks good to you, go
ahead and open 'Ship Maker'

This is not a tutorial on how to use 'Ship Maker' so I am going to assume you already know how to
use it to construct a ship. Start at the top of the recipe and work your way down the list. For ship
class and size I usually enter that information into the 'Description' area of the ship for later reference.

After you have set all of the engine parameters start adding the hull sections. I suggest that you press
'P' to turn on the parenting view if it is not already on. I like to parent everything to the core to start
off and adjust later as I decide where each piece will be placed on the final ship. The sections will be
listed in order, by section number, (as shown in ship maker) followed by the quantity. For efficiency
you do not have to add all of them manually. If there is an even number of a particular section just place
half that amount. When you get to the bottom of the section list just press 'M' to mirror the ones you
have already placed. This has the added advantage of flipping each piece vertically. As you place the
sections you do not need to put them in the final position at first, just get them all on the screen.

After the sections have been added start placing the weapons and modules. They will be listed in the
same order as they appear in ship maker if you press the down arrow in the weapon or module selector.
Again I like to parent everything to the core to start then adjust parenting as they are moved to the final
positions. Place the correct quantity of each of the weapons and modules as listed.

When all of the components are on the screen then go ahead and arrange them to your liking. You can
try for the arrangement that gives the best appearance or adjust for greatest strength in battle. You
usually have to compromise one or the other.

When you are finished with your ship go ahead and save it, press 'S'. Then start up 'Battleships Forever'
and enjoy testing your new ship.
Last edited by Namigob on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
Stupid people don't learn from their mistakes. Smart people do learn from thier mistakes.
The smartest people of all learn from the mistakes of others.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

This is...impressive, if it does all you say. I know I am often stumped for designs, and it would be especially useful for the new builders who's style is getting trashed and needs to find a new one. I will definitely try this, and thank you for putting so much work into it.

*EDIT* I think I understand this a bit better after trying it. It doesn't help with design in a visual way so much as balancing. Still useful because it would set a general standard to work off of like the tournament does.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Your download is not working. keeps giving me "no longer at this address"/"Invalid Quickkey".
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

It gives me nadda. And the images are broken.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Namigob
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Namigob »

I will look into getting the links fixed this evening when I get home from work. I guess using mediafire to upload my files was not a good idea.
It worked for a while so I thought it would be ok. I know uploading to my AOL web space will work but I was trying to avoid that because I plan on
closing my account with AOL someday. I'll use my AOL space until I can find a more permanent location. Any suggestions?
Stupid people don't learn from their mistakes. Smart people do learn from thier mistakes.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Actually I just think you used the wrong kind of link. Most Mediafire links look like this, from what I've seen.

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/?j2j3y391djc
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

It worked fine for me. The utility is pretty neat, although I don't recognize the rules it uses at all. Still, with a little adaptation it could be quite useful.

Ed; I apologise for the size of these but I cannot be arsed to make them smaller.

Last edited by Arcalane on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Just use photobucket for images.
Namigob
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Namigob »

TheBlueEcho wrote:Actually I just think you used the wrong kind of link. Most Mediafire links look like this, from what I've seen.

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/?j2j3y391djc
I believe you are correct. I used the wrong kind of link. I did an edit and
it should work now. I have provided a backup link just in case.
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

If you ever 'revamp' it how about adding x number of thrusters for each class? e.g. Patrol craft: 0, Corvette: 1 ...
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
Namigob
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Namigob »

Thanks for bringing up the subject of thrusters. I have been trying for a while now to think of a better way to use them.

Not long ago I did some experimenting to determine the default values for thrust, speed, and turning on thrusters. It seems that when a thruster is destroyed it removes 0.01 from speed, 0.02 from acceleration, and 0.01 from turning.

The 0.01 loss of speed and turning is not important but the loss of 0.02 from acceleration can be significant to the performance of most ships.

One way to use them would be to have one thruster for every 0.02 acceleration per ship. This would be a realistic approach in that when all of the thrusters are gone the ships engine would no longer operate.

Problem is that the smallest ships, patrol class, would have the most thrusters because they usually have the most acceleration.

I think that putting a lot of thrusters on large ships would be unrealistic in that they could be easily disabled by losing only a few thrusters.

A way to solve this problem might be to edit the default values for thrusters. I suppose I could make the recipe maker calculate a value for thruster acceleration removal based on ship size. It would be larger for small ships and less for large ships.

At the present time the recipe maker just chooses thrusters at random.

Another possibility would be to simply do away with thrusters altogether.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Split away the garbage. Thread may continue as normal.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Namigob wrote: A way to solve this problem might be to edit the default values for thrusters. I suppose I could make the recipe maker calculate a value for thruster acceleration removal based on ship size. It would be larger for small ships and less for large ships.

At the present time the recipe maker just chooses thrusters at random.
If you can do Random.rand((double x)) then you can use a formula to calculate thrust per thruster.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

Some way of limiting what modules/weapons come up; my latest picked 5 thrusters and a grav beam for modules.
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
Namigob
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Namigob »

Some way of limiting what modules/weapons come up; my latest picked 5 thrusters and a grav beam for modules.
I'm working the thruster issue. I know what I want to do, I just have
to get the code working.

I doubt if you got 5 thrusters. The code has a hard limit of 4 per ship
maximum. What you probably had was 4 thrusters, + 1 grav beam
for a total of 5 weapons.

Still it seems like you should have had more weaps/modules, I'm betting
that you might have selected the enhance engine or sections options.
Doing that on a small ship will significantly reduce the points available for weapons.