Battlestars Forever - Galactica, Pegasus, Basestar, Fighters

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Oi. That's still dead-ugly. :?

The problem is that you're using the wrong pieces in the wrong places. You're using detailed, irregular pieces for straight parts on the ship and vice-versa.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Alright, I see what you're saying. This brings up several issues:

I'm only showing half the ribbing. There's just too many sections on this bastard. While the second model I'm making actually has fewer sections, adding around 80 for ribbing is just LAGG inducing. Just keep that in mind please

Also saying that its ugly isn't good enough. Could you please point out the specific points that need some work? I've redone the engines a little bit and made some things a little cleaner on the sides, the flightpods are totally rough

Also, one more thing, what do you recommend for those annoying as hell armor sections on the front?

PS. Are you still planning on the SB3? Thanks!
Last edited by antisocialmunky on Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Also saying that its ugly isn't good enough. Could you please point out the specific points that need some work?
It's not a specific point. It's your section use. The Galactica is repetitive, but you're not even trying to cover that up. You just place row and row of section 22, instead of varying and using better section placement, which I do believe you're capable of.

And yes, sb3 will still be given.
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Well, that's specific enough. I thought you were talking about the section 10's. Its just hard trying to figure out how to do all that stupid plate.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Your most recent attempt fixed alot of issues.

I like the center between the engines but the engines still need the most work of the ship besides the fronts of the hangers.

I think the rest of the hangers are ok even with the repetition because it captures the ribbing look pretty well. Maybe some sort of strip across it for the flak cannons or other weapons will help break it up enough.

Probably the worst area of the ship is the forward hull because its just boring. Its not even an issue of repetition, it just needs more texture.

Try adding some weapon mounts along the spine of the ship and a spot for some launchers or mega-blasters on the forward section. This is making progress though, I hope you do a base star after this, Raul's killed our computer with all its fucking bees!
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Oi, the base stars are so much easier, It'll take tons less sections and I'm fairly good at those smooth triangular shapes.

Well, here's the latest revision. The shape of the engines is a REAL pain. Low section banana shapes are a real pain:

I do like how the section between the negines turned out and I think that the engine pods look alot better. Since AD was kinda neough to lend me his SB3,I used some of his ideas for the flight pods mixed with my own. I think they are fairly good. I'm going to go today and break up the section 10 repetition on the main hull. The front is still unfinished and boring... Still no ideas...
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I have the finished hull of the 2nd Galactica up, please critique. I want to move onto the basestars so hopefully this one isn't quite as hideous.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

This is pretty nice. Only two spots that stand out to me are the middle of the forward section and the overlapping 10s toward the back. The engines are pretty nice.

There is, however, no excuse for you not doing the galactica emblem in doodads or shrunk sections on the spine. Section count be damned :lol:
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hehehehe, I was thinking about that myself. I think that's included under the "too much of an investment if the thing fails hard."

What exactly are you talk about the middle? Are you talking about the wall of 22's?

I'll see what I can do. I think I'm going to keep that strip of 22s though. I'll work on the section 10's on the back first since that ought to be easier to deal with.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

AD's is still better, his blends sections together and uses variety, where your's is just row after row of repetition, although it is marginally better.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Meh, here's a basestar, can't make anyone happy :-p. You might like it more. 1/3rd the surface area, 2/3s the sections.

Front page for DL.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

wow that is naice!!! Pretty much spot on. I like how the texture is differant between the inside of the bottom layer and the top side of the top layer...
Grenville
Commander
Commander

Post by Grenville »

Do i spy little raiders flying about that base star :o
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Far better than your galactica attempts, although I've never seen a Cylon Basestar with red war paint. They're usually grey and black.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a purple Battlestar either. :?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

ArcaneDude wrote: Come to think of it, I've never seen a purple Battlestar either. :?
Their saving it for when the current BSG ends and they run a re imagined Galactica 1980 lol