Battlestars Forever - Galactica, Pegasus, Basestar, Fighters

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Did, Oh well, I'm getting used to it. I'll figure it out once I get done with the launch pods.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

BUMP

Galactica is done, goto the first post for downloads. Please critique and have fun if its not too laggy(320 sections).
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

I wanted to like it, I tried to like it, but I don't think you could make me like it, even if you tied me to a chair and went all Clockwork Orange on me. This ship is a horrible, sinful abomination against shipbuilding and it must be purged. Okay, so maybe it's not quite that bad, but goddamn it's close.

SECTION 9. I now officially hate that section. You've ruined it. You've beaten it into an unrecognisable pulp again and again and now I can no longer bear to look upon it. Why, man? What in god's name were you thinking? Stretching that section that much even once just looks horrible, but you covered the entire ship in it. And don't even get me started on the horrible usage of Section 22.

Final Grade:
F
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

The stretching is pretty horrible.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Like I said, help would be appreciated.

I agree with you about section 9. But I couldn't think of another way to do ribbing without going crazy on tiny sections but I want the thing to be freaking playable. Idealy somewhat below 200 sections(failure). I think that you'd need a few more hundred sections to make it a look really nice but I was going for something playable and around 1000 pixels long.

If there was a nice little stripped squarish section, it would have been great, but there isn't. Section 20 isn't bad and may work better but I didn't think that was an appropriate choice. Now, one of the other ideas I had was using multiple sections to achive it, but once again, too many sections unless two sections side by side could achieve the effect.

I wouldnt' say section 22 is done absolutely horribly, but I would like some advice on the engine housing. I mean, honestly, I just had no ideas for that.

I 'd thought I'd toss it out as is to get some ideas. Help please. :D
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I see your final version as a CHALLÂNGE to do better, honestly.

<_<

It's just...sorry, but the massive amount of section 9 makes it ugly. Even I don't use that many 09's. And yes, I know, it's hard to do ribbing without them, which is why I want to try better. Am I allowed to post a screenshot here once I'm done?
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

sure

Actually I got a good idea after the above critiques:

It looks alot better now and uses a few less sections. Anyways, no one's stopping you, see if you can't do the same scale with less sections.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

The ribbing isn't that big of a deal...
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I'm not going for less sections, though. That's not exactly a priority IMO. But nothing too laggy either.
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Sorry for the double post, but guess who has a hull?

I'll probably need to finish doodading and adding some engine glow, but I think that's about it.
Grenville
Commander
Commander

Post by Grenville »

ArcaneDude wrote:Sorry for the double post, but guess who has a hull?

I'll probably need to finish doodading and adding some engine glow, but I think that's about it.
There is some layering issues but its looking very nice, one of the better ones i have seen ^^
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

honestly AD, most of that is pretty ugly, but then it eliminated the repetition nicely, and there are a few parts which are spot on. Maybe munky can take that and run with it.

Also, maybe ignore the BSG galactica and go for the original, I don't think it had such smooth armor...Course its not the same size either but it might look nicer in the end.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Nice tweaks, AD. But, like I said I want something playable and my current version.

Its better than my first attempt though. Ribbing is nicely done. I do like the way you did your reds on the flight pods. The engines are alrightly but don't really give the feeling of the official reference. The backs on them are done using a really good concept.
I also like the effect used on the outside of hte flight pods though the execution gets garbled at places.

The main problem with the new galactica is just alot of it is repetition.

I think the key to make it look good is to not have as much repetition on the armor pieces and also break it subtle like a little bit in the really boring places like you did.

Anyways, that's not a bad try.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I tried to break up the repetition as much as possible, turning pieces around, using different ones....etc. I might be able to do it even better given some time, but time is not a luxury I have currently.

The engines were my main concern, I know they're not very good. I might try redoing them using a different style.

I'm going to give you an sb3. of this version later today, maybe you can make some improvements.

EDIT; spotted some layering problems at the starboard engine pod.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Go for it.

Here's my second revision:

The engines have some more form now with that strip of 22's and nicely follow the contour of the engine pods. The area between the two engines is a problem, however but I'll take care of it later.

All I have to say is thatSection 10 is awesome. I'm not trying ot make Anna blow a gasket with the repition, honest. Atleast the new sections can be rotated pretty well. :D

PS. Has anyone bothered attacking the first one until it explodes. You just need something that can do 100,000 damage to a section or use the delete key to destroy those big hident sections or the rearmost box section. I could use a critique for the explosion sequence for it. There are three separate ones, the back, the front and the side after blowing off the flightpods.