Modular Ships (Now with dreadnought action!)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Parenting's awesome, but I hope some of those connecting pins have a LOT of HP :P
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

I'm still deciding between either a carrier variant or a command/logistics variant, which will probably be the last one in the pack, and then I'll move on down to destroyers or cruisers.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

Carrier.
please
that's all
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

Here we go, though it's a laggy bastard, the carrier variant's done.

Not much to say about it except it's got quite a lot of bees. Anyway, that rounds out the pack. I think I'm going to save the command version for maybe a cruiser or something, so it won't be part of the battlecruiser set. I'll get it uploaded in a bit, I think there are a couple of minor bugs I need to fix on a couple of them, and then on to cruisers.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Those carrier pods are stunning. There is no other word.
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

I feel privileged to view the sacred colours of grey and purple.
Cerebrus
Captain
Captain

Post by Cerebrus »

Modular ships are sexy.
[i]...can we hold on...?[/i]
Iron Ham
Commander
Commander

Post by Iron Ham »

FUCKING BEES!

:shock:
A tout le monde!
a tout mes amis!
je vois aime!
je dois partir!
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Its pretty decent. Repetition done mostly right thats for sure. I would have stretched the 25s or used 4s as extenders rather than stacking them, but thats forgivable for the shear number of bees this thing will throw out.

I suggest you seriously consider adding more detail around the thrusters for the rear engines. I would say do something to the front to relieve some of the right angles but the whole ship is semi-blocky and it kinda works for it. Nice command tower or whatever that is over the core.
Marching_Spartan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Marching_Spartan »

Very well done. I'm working on my own set now. Have you uploaded the set yet and if so what did you call it?
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

Well, it's been quite a while, and I finally got around to getting back into BSF. I didn't feel like starting a new topic for what's basically the same stuff, just bigger, so here's hoping this isn't considered a necro.

Here's the dreadnought in this modular fleet of mine, currently with just one module. It's actually using the same connectors (different module cores though, just the same connecting points) as the battlecruiser, so theoretically you could stick the battlecruiser modules on it, but being in another file makes that just a tad difficult.

The dreadnought is actually designed to mount small weapons arrays on each of its 8 modular points, unlike the battlecruiser which goes all out with a given role and a much larger module. The four connectors on each side of the dreadnought are a bit too close to mount multiples of the battlecruiser modules, but not to worry, that's where being modular comes in. The center two mounts can be used together to mount larger modules, which will essentially be up-scaled versions of the battlecruiser modules (Second picture). Unfortunately some of these are large enough that they block the other mounts as well (I suppose I could just make them connect to all four mounts?).

I'm not too fond of outlining things, but this ship is large enough that if I didn't, it'd look even more like a giant gray slab than it does now. Anyway, I'll see if I'm motivated enough to get some other modules done for this guy, and I'm following the advice of keeping all the modules in one big file for mixing and matching later on.
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

Looking good, has a Hiigaran feel to it.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

Very nice, though I feel that the connecting piece(for the big module) got worse.
And Spoot, I agree. I hear the Kharak Music in the scene where the Mothership gets launched.
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

bien4500 wrote:Very nice, though I feel that the connecting piece(for the big module) got worse.
And Spoot, I agree. I hear the Kharak Music in the scene where the Mothership gets launched.
The Adagio For Strings chorus?
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
ddx420
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ddx420 »

Spoot Knight wrote:
bien4500 wrote:Very nice, though I feel that the connecting piece(for the big module) got worse.
The Adagio For Strings chorus?
Yeah, that's the music that was played when the Banana...er, Mothership... got launched in the first Homeworld game.

~~
ON TOPIC
~~

The little floating pods on the left and right sides of the dreadnought look weird. What are they, weapons platforms? Or are they going to be the connectors for the bigger pods?