My 'no-Terran' alien dreadnoughts

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

My 'no-Terran' alien dreadnoughts

Post by Captain Trek »

Greetings once again everyone. As you're probably aware, TH has announced that he is revamping the alien dreadnought, as he is tried of the way it uses all Terran sections. His replacement design, however, still uses a lot of them so I took it upon myself to see if I could design something similar using only alien sections...

These are what I came up with (note that the pulse guns represent the dread's sidewinders)...

From top left to botton right they are...

Study model 1: The original design, which I whipped up in about five minutes. As you can see, the design has several flaws. In particular, the two deflected sections on the side are rendered almost completely superfluous. It also has a somewhat annoyingly 'Klingon' appearence to it...

Study model 2: I modified the original design, and came up with study model number 2. This one's side defelcted sections are far more useful, and the ship itself, I think, looks a lot better than the original design did.

Study model 3: When play testing study model 2, one the things I noticed was the relative vulnerability of the rounded sections to the left and right of the core (the ones just behind the side deflected sections). They aren't critical to the deflected sections in front of them like the slightly exposed rectagular sections on the 'Terran' alien dreadnought are, but as of study model 2, it meant that two of the ship's ageises were rather vulnerable...

So I decided to move the two ageises in question. Rather than have two ageises mounted on each rounded section to the rear of the core, though, I instead decided to add a third section to mount the two ageises.

Study model 4: I spilt the section I added in for study model three into 2 alien wing sections. This makes the agesises more protected and (I think) also looks better.

This design is roughly the same size and was, as of study model 2, pretty much as though as the 'Terran' alien dreadnought we have now. I'm thinking my design changes for study models 3 and 4 might actually make it a little tougher than the current dreadnought.

See, on the current dreadnought, there are two rectangular sections, just behind the side deflected sections that were slightly vulnerable and could be blown off once the dreadnought's wings were destroyed, eliminating the side deflected sections in the process. On my design, however, the side deflected sections are connected not to the sections behind them, but to the sections ajacent to them, those being the ones that house this dreadnought's demeters.

This means that the usual one-on-one strategy of blowing the two vulnerable rectangular sections off is not viable on this version of hte dreadnought. I would speculate that it would be harder for a ship to win one-on-one with this version of the dreadnought and that, as such, out flanking the ship would become more necessary.

Now, I don't expect TH to take my design concepts on board, but I would like his, and other people's opinions on the design. What do you think of it?

By the way, if you'd like to try it out, I've packaged up all four study models into one handy little zip file, though each one is also avaliable seperately in the custom ship database...

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... models.zip
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

I like the overall look but I went with my design because this ship would look a little odd as it was blown up. There's lots of factors to consider when making a ship and one of them is how the ship will look with some of its sections destroyed.

The nature of the inverted fore-mid prongs means that if the other sections around it are destroyed you're going to have an inverted V sticking out of the front of the ship. A rather awkward state to be in. This is the reason I went with the more conventional, albeit terran-style, sections for the forward prongs.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'inverted V'. The two inverted prongs aren't parented to the core... The ship can end up looking like any of these (probably only with the ageises gone for the one on the left, though) as it takes damage...

But never like this, because, again, the inverted prongs are not parented to the core...

Again, my dreadnought can never end up looking like the image above, due to the parenting...

Here is a picture of my study model with all but the eight foward sections removed. Look closely at the parenting (I've highlighted them for you in red and added some writing in...)...

See? No 'inverted V' shapes here...

EDIT: Just to make what I mean more clear, I've retaken that third picture with the parts moved further apart (but with the same parenting)...

See, I tried to model my version of the alien dread on the current one as closely as possible, but using alien sections... If you want, I could upload another picture with the entire ship taken apart in the same manner as above, as opposed to just the foward sections...
Major Diarrhia
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Major Diarrhia »

I think I'll make one.
[url=http://battleshipsforeverships.googlepages.com/]Battleships Forever Ships[/url]
[url=http://majordiarrhia.googlepages.com/]Sword of the Stars Mods[/url]
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Post by The Infamous RayCav »

My only problem is that the many sections overlapping makes it overly complicated from a parts point of view, not to mention making it really tough to kill (like it already wasn't with four Aegis deflectors :P)
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Like I've just stated in the 'new alien dreadnought' thread, I think you'll find that my design actually handles pretty similarly to the current dreadnought. It's actually built almost identically to the current dreadnought excpet that the parenting of the side deflected sections is different, making the ship tough to kill one-on-one, but similar to the current dread in a fleet engagement.

Since you seem so worried about it though, here's study model number five, which uses 22 sections. The side deflected sections are now vulnerable to having their parent sections blown off again like on the 'Terran' alien dreadnought...

Now, the ship is constructed the exact same way as the current alien dread, excpet for one minor discrepancy. Don't believe me? Look at this...