Do'Rylus Fleet (Download on page 3)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

xphoenix87
Commander
Commander

Do'Rylus Fleet (Download on page 3)

Post by xphoenix87 »

I wasn't going to post these until I finished with them, but I figured I'd go ahead and get them out for some feedback. The general idea for the fleet is that I'm not using much point defense and I'm using weapons that fire off a whole lot of projectiles/drones to swarm opponents.

Backstory(such as it is)

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, there was a species destined to rule the universe. They were fast, strong, intelligent and beautiful, nature's perfect race. However, one day an exploratory space probe returned with an extremely virulent virus they were particularly vulnerable to. Within a month, they were all dead. This is not their story.

No, instead it is the story of the race they oppressed. A relatively slow-witted insectoid race, the Do'Rylus aren't exactly your "galactic conqueror" prototype. Nature says that the strong survive. The Do'Rylus told nature where to shove it, and went on surviving anyway. They have very little in the way of outstanding features, except for anger. They're very, very angry. Lets be honest, you probably would be too if your whole race had been oppressed for thousands of years. That rather unlucky viral event proved to be a boon to the Do'Rylus, as they suddenly found a wealth of advanced technology right at their fingertips. Slowly but surely, they learned how everything worked, and decided that while all this "weather control" and "artificial intelligence" stuff was nice, what they really wanted were some big guns to vent their anger with. So, under the glorious reign of Queen Chk'Natha the 1st, they turned all their attention to building the biggest, meanest fleet of spaceships ever seen.

Now, under the glorious reign of Queen Chk'Natha the 32nd (they're not very inventive), they move through space, jumping from world to world. They destroy all life they find, and basically strip-mine the planet for resources to build more ships. Their weaponry is not terribly advanced, nor is their shielding. They are not tactical geniuses or master planners. No, instead they rely on simply overwhelming their opponents with firepower, beating them into submission with wave after wave of ships that just don't ever seem to die.

The Do'Rylus Armada

Warfighters

Image Image
(From left to right: Gunner-Class and Cutter-Class Warfighters)

Built on the same standard chassis, Gunner and Cutter-Class Warfighters are highly maneuverable, one-man ships with various weapon loadouts. Gunner-Class are armed with a short-ranged, rapid-fire cannon that can deliver highly damaging bursts. Cutter-Class are equipped with Do'Rylus Standard Issue Cutting Lasers. These short-range beams deliver more constant damage, and are more effective against moving targets because of the way they sweep across the target area.

Warbirds

Barrage-Class Warbird

The Barrage-Class Warbird is the workhorse of the Do'Rylus fleet. Armed with 10 Venom Missile Launchers, the Barrage-Class is capable of dealing out damage in bunches. With all it's weapons facing forward though, the Barrage-Class is useless if it gets flanked.

Blade-Class Warbird

One of the most versatile ships in the Do'Rylus fleet, the Blade-Class fills a role as both an offensive and defensive support ship. Armed with the recently developed Energy Wave Generator (EWG), this class is able to produce a wide energy arc which both does damage to a large area and blocks weapons fire. While not as strong on its own as other Warbird-type ships, the defensive function and area damage of the Blade-Class makes it a valuable piece of any armada.

(EWG in action)

Swarm-Class Warbird

The ultimate in Do'Rylus drone technology, the Swarm-Class is capable of overwhelming even the starkest point defenses with its barrage of drone fighters. Along with 8 standard Do'Rylus Drone Fighter Bays, the Swarm-Class also sports 3 over-sized bays that accommodate more powerful drones.

Runner-Class Warbird

With its speed and maneuverability, the Runner-Class is a perfect hit-and-run ship. The 4 Cutting Lasers on each side allow for quick broadside strikes that strip the armor off of opposing ships. The Runner-Class is also equipped with one of the newest advances in Do'Rylus technology, the Shard Spinner. These weapons spin high-velocity metal shards out at random in all directions. While not particularly effective for damaging single ships, they can do significant damage to large groups of enemy craft, and they make great point defense distractions. Unfortunately, the Runner-Class is also lightly armored, and more fragile than any other Warbird-type ship, making it less practical for prolonged battles.

(Shard Spinner in action)

Sniper-Class Warbird

The Sniper-Class is a rare deviation from normal Do'Rylus tactics. Instead of attempting to overwhelm opposing ships, the Sniper-Class makes use of a single, long-range cannon of death to slice enemy forces from afar. It is equipped with a weapon the Do'Rylus call the Rage Cannon. The Rage Cannon fires super-dense packets of matter at high speeds and with terrifying accuracy. This weapon shrugs off point defense, and on impact does more damage than any other single weapon in the Do'Rylus armada. Luckily for everyone else, these cannons are difficult to manufacture and very rarely seen. The drawback is that the energy required to power the Rage Cannon makes other areas of the ship very weak. With no shielding and slower movement speed than the average Warbird, the Sniper-Class is a sitting duck if enemies close to short range. Most often, they are used to inflict long-range damage from safely behind the front lines.

(Shots of the Rage Cannon)

Warmongers

Wyrm-Class Warmonger

The Wyrm-Class is the backbone of the Do'Rylus fleet. Equipped with two of the most powerful weapons in the Do'Rylus arsenal, it has enough offensive firepower to quickly reduce opposing ships to slag. The front-mounted Wyrm Cannon is able to decimate even large capital ships with the huge cloud of armor-piercing energy balls it releases. On the back end, this class is armed with the Do'Rylus Octagun, a powerful laser cannon capable of delivering huge amounts of damage.

(Wyrm-Class attacking a Leviathan Space Station)

Ray-Class Warmonger

Ray-Class Warmongers are certainly not subtle. These hulking ships are capable of soaking up large amounts of damage, and their dual Octaguns punch through opposing ships with pure brute force. The Ray-Class's rear-mounted deflectors are easy prey to small, fast ships, but because of the 360-degree arc of the Octaguns, they're less vulnerable than most ships to flanking.

Full Fleet Picture
Last edited by xphoenix87 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

The fighters could use work, the warmongers are pure awesome, and definitely change your color because its much too dark to see detail. can't wait to see these finished and download them, they look fun without being horribly large.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Are there floating weapons or are the sections just nearly black? If there are floating weapons, then you should probably fix that. If not (and I assume this is the right answer), then fix the colour, no one can see it.
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Post by Ai_512 »

Bad Boy wrote:Are there floating weapons or are the sections just nearly black? If there are floating weapons, then you should probably fix that. If not (and I assume this is the right answer), then fix the colour, no one can see it.
Actually I can see it and it makes the Ray class look like a watermelon. :P
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]
Aralyae
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Aralyae »

you mean the 4 barrelled blasters? yeah those are empty. think they're suppose to be propellers or something like that.
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

Add ship glows...so we can see the ships
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Post by Ai_512 »

Aralyae wrote:you mean the 4 barrelled blasters? yeah those are empty. think they're suppose to be propellers or something like that.
Why would you need propellers in space. :P
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]
xphoenix87
Commander
Commander

Post by xphoenix87 »

The fighters could use work, the warmongers are pure awesome, and definitely change your color because its much too dark to see detail.
Glad you like the Warmongers. What is it in particular about the fighters that you think could use improvement? I really kind of liked the way they turned out. As far as the color goes, I was trying to make them kind of dark, though I can see how it might be difficult to see the detail on them. I think it translates better in-game than it does in screenshots, but I'll see if I can't lighten them up a bit without losing the look I was aiming for.
Are there floating weapons or are the sections just nearly black? If there are floating weapons, then you should probably fix that. If not (and I assume this is the right answer), then fix the colour, no one can see it.
The Octaguns are floating, that's the way I designed them. The demeters on the Swarm and Blade classes are sitting on dark purple section 13s. I'll try to lighten those up a bit to make them more visible.
Pyper
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Pyper »

Looks like they are shaping up to be a nice little fleet. I like the weapon mod on the Blade ship.

I like the look of the fighters. While your color scheme is very dark, I can just make out more structure on the fighters that fills them out a bit.

The octoguns are my favorite. Do they keep their shape when firing? I haven't thought of stacking them like that, I like the look.

One thing you might want to think of is changing the color of your deflectors from the default. You have a dark color scheme and that blazing neon green doesn't seem to go along with it.

I am in the process of making a fleet myself and have been downloading here and there to check a bit of balancing. Very much looking forward to when you get yours more finalized and maybe post a download.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Alright, due to the monitor settings on my other computer, I couldn't see the green at all. Now that I'm on my other computer, I can. Most of the ships have a quite nice shape, but the layering needs some work, particularly on the Blade and the Ray.
X-14
Commander
Commander

Post by X-14 »

The last ship look like as the ship of starwars I ^^
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

Something about the last this bugs me, try making it more streamlined.
xphoenix87
Commander
Commander

Post by xphoenix87 »

The octoguns are my favorite. Do they keep their shape when firing? I haven't thought of stacking them like that, I like the look.
Unfortunately, they don't always keep their shape when firing. Usually they'll get off just a bit. They still look pretty awesome though.
One thing you might want to think of is changing the color of your deflectors from the default. You have a dark color scheme and that blazing neon green doesn't seem to go along with it.
Yeah, I'm still tweaking that. There's a lot of stuff that still has to be worked out with these ships.
Most of the ships have a quite nice shape, but the layering needs some work, particularly on the Blade and the Ray.
Something about the last this bugs me, try making it more streamlined.
I'm thinking of basically completely redoing the Ray. It turned out being significantly more awkward-looking than I intended.

On another note, I messed around with some shading on the Wyrm-Class. I probably won't do this for all the ships because it takes so freaking long to do, but let me know how it looks.

I also realized that I hadn't posted a group picture for size comparison, so here you go.

xphoenix87
Commander
Commander

Post by xphoenix87 »

*update*

I did some major revisions on the Ray-Class, and I think I'm a lot happier with the result. It's more of the sleek look I was originally aiming for.

Thoughts?
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

I don't know what other's will say, but I think it looks better this way. Less like lunch :P.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."