An alternate Empire

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Mjolnir
Commodore
Commodore

An alternate Empire

Post by Mjolnir »

I have created a new set of ships. They are named after Norse mythology instead of Greek. They only use 1 piece from the shipmaker and a limited amount of weapons. There are no beam weapons except on the experimental destroyer, and most of the weapons are on pulses and blasters. They are a sleek like Norse longships, relatively fast group, with some heavy hitters, but a ship for all circumstances and a ship for taking on fleets (the Nidhogg):p.

I designed these ships because i had a need to design a fleet of ships but no sci-fi fleets i could do which hadn't already been taken. So i designed the Hel patrol class (not a typo, it is spelt as per Norse spelling) and then scaled up from there, with the bigger ships moving away from the 3 pieces a side by adding ablative layers, but staying with that general design.

There are, from left to right, top to bottom, Mjolnir II class Dreadnaught, Mjolnir class Battleship, Thor class Super-Dreadnaught, Loki class Carrier, Einherjar III (E) Experimental Destoyer, Einherjar class Destroyer, Einherjar II class Flak Destroyer, Aesir III class Cruiser (2 of them, i made a mistake when taking the picture, have Aesir II below), Aesir class Cruiser, Valkyrie class Monitor, Hel II class Patrol Craft, Hel class Patrol Craft.

Here is the Yggdrsil class Spacestation and the flagship of the fleet, the mighty Nidhogg flagship. (there is no class big enough for it :p )

The Aesir II class Flak Cruiser.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... _ships.zip
I like them, but i would like any feed back you have on them. They are not balanced on anything btw.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Well if they're balanced to each other (and indeed, they appear to be), maybe you could create an enemy for them using the names of Egyptian or Celtic gods...

As for the designs themselves, they're cool, but I couldn't help but notice that the larger ships, with their massive sections, appear extremely vulnerable to damamge...

As for the Nidhogg, funny thing is that appears to same size as, or even smaller than the Thor...
there is no class big enough for it
Maybe juggernaut?
Mjolnir
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mjolnir »

They are around the same size, but the Thors armament can't compare to the Nidhoggs.

I would make an enemy but im not so up on Celtic or Egyptian Mythology and i don't know what to make iit look like, so ideas would be nice.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Here's a list of Egyptian gods you could use...

http://socsci.colorado.edu/LAB/GODS/
goblin
Ensign
Ensign

Post by goblin »

It's amazing the diversity you've gotten using just one type of hull segment.
Mjolnir
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mjolnir »

I would like advice as to which of these looks the best so i can make an Egyptian themed race to counter my Norse one. This is the Amun class patrol craft, and the majority of the units will use thiss piece, but this time i am going to add other pieces as i go along.
Cerebrus
Captain
Captain

Post by Cerebrus »

I rather like the top-right and the mid-left. However, they both bear a strong resemblance to the Norse fleet, so I would go with the mid-right.
Mjolnir
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mjolnir »

The Egyptian ships, so far. From left to right, top to bottom, there is:
Wepwawet class dreadnaught, Set class battleship, Set II class Flak ship, Shu class Carrier, Osiris class Cruiser, Osiris II class Missile ship, Nephthys class Destroyer, Nephthys class Flak Destroyer, Sobek II class Flak Monitor, Sobek class Monitor, Amun class Patrol Craft.
I need feedback, feel free to give it.
Mjolnir
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mjolnir »

And this is the redesigned Mjolnir class Battleship. At the top is the standard Mjolnir III battleship, and the lower is the experimental Mjolnir III beam ship.

When we get the newer weapons, i intend to use the Railguns as weapons for the Norse, as i want them to be less technology advanced, but on the whole have better ships, whereas the Egytians are more advanced with lasers over projectiles, shield and such stuff, but less effective, as a species who are more technologically advanced, but not as proficient at war as the less numerous Norse....... I have decided I am going to write a story line for this.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

The Wepwawet class is your best Egyptian design I reckon, followed by the Set battleship/ flak ship. I've never been much of a fan of station sections being used on ships and the Shu just doesn't do it for me...

As for the new Mjolnirs, they come across as a bit crowded for my taste... maybe remove some of the superflous wing sections and streamline them like your other Norse ships a bit more...
Cerebrus
Captain
Captain

Post by Cerebrus »

The Wepwawet looks stunning, really, and overall they look rather good to me.