Old Official Ship Ideas Topic

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

TranquilRage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TranquilRage »

OK, I have slowed them and reduced their turning speed. The point masers have been reduced to particle guns as well, but I have moved the rear particle guns forward a module to make them a little more effective. I have left the nano matrix in however, but have replaced the B variants Lancet with a nano module as well.

So, a little slower and with less PD. I think they are comparable to the existing battleships now.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

With those nano matrixes I'm still really unsure about the balancing. I don't know, what do you think TH?
TranquilRage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TranquilRage »

To be honest the nano matrix helps out only a bit in short violent fights. It would be of considerably more use in Grinder for instance. It also increases the ships over all resilience against tachyon weapons.

But that was my goal, a well rounded ship. Some PD, some defence, some repair, some fire power.

I also don't hold with designing uber ships with "one major weakness/vulnerability at the back!". A ship should be designed to take punishment, it should be expected to be fired upon and get bits blown off and still function. Its a problem i have with the shielded alien dreadnoughts (i think its them), with the 4 tachyon cannon, 4 scatter beams, 4 dermeters and 4 aegis deflectors. You can render them mostly harmless by blowing the wings off (4 unprotected, light HP sections). After that its a cake walk.
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

Nobody even noticed mys?....
Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Fair enough, Tranquil...

And KV2, I did notice your mining ship. I don't really like it, but it does different from the BSF norm of ship design in an interesting way...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Actually, the Major is a ground pounder (it isn't a naval rank). His ship is more of an assault ship and he's trained for ground assault.

Also, his name happens to be mine, in chinese. I couldn't help myself :)
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

well, I used army ranks, But I dident want it to be Lieutenant Colonel Hong.
Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I suppose you could give Hong a new ship for the last few missions.... perhaps it could be one of the first in a new line of assault transports or something like that...
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

Captain Trek wrote:I suppose you could give Hong a new ship for the last few missions.... perhaps it could be one of the first in a new line of assault transports or something like that...
Thats what I intened it to be. :D
Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Still, I don't like that design in particular myself, but I do think it could be a good idea to give Hong a new ship as the campaign draws to a close...
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

I like that design :D
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Post by The Infamous RayCav »

that ship's not too bad, except its structure needs to be simplified, really. Remember what th15 said about ship structures, specifically the Moira example he used.
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

The Infamous RayCav wrote:that ship's not too bad, except its structure needs to be simplified, really. Remember what th15 said about ship structures, specifically the Moira example he used.
Jigga What?
Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Phaedra: What do we need another Hestia for?

Phraixus: Hmm... nah, I don't like that much... besides, why are we trying to replace the Hestia?

Epimetheus: Get rid of those two bunker sections and you'll be well on the way to a good battleship hull... it has too many sections for a destroyer...

Hestia Alpha Improved: Not only will the booster run out of power in two-and-a-half seconds when you try to use it, but that design is overpowered anyway...

Charon: I don't like this one much. The Moira doesn't make a good fish...
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Post by The Infamous RayCav »

Captain Trek wrote:Phaedra: What do we need another Hestia for?

Phraixus: Hmm... nah, I don't like that much... besides, why are we trying to replace the Hestia?
Umm, I dunno, but maybe because th15 put up a thread specifically requesting a Hestia replacement? :P
Hestia Alpha Improved: Not only will the booster run out of power in two-and-a-half seconds when you try to use it, but that design is overpowered anyway...
It was also designed for the same thing above, actually th15 was looking for an up-gunned Hestia Alpha, so, well, I upgunned it :D
Epimetheus: Get rid of those two bunker sections and you'll be well on the way to a good battleship hull... it has too many sections for a destroyer...
Bunker thingies?
Charon: I don't like this one much. The Moira doesn't make a good fish...
Yeah, I thought it was beginning to look "fishy" too :P

Since I built up the Hestia into a battleship I was trying to build up the Moira into one as well, but it keeps coming out...meh. I might just scrap the Charon once and for all.