Old Official Ship Ideas Topic

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Umm, I dunno, but maybe because th15 put up a thread specifically requesting a Hestia replacement?
TH was looking for a Hesita Alpha replacement, not a Hestia prime replacement...
It was also designed for the same thing above, actually th15 was looking for an up-gunned Hestia Alpha, so, well, I upgunned it
Yea, but you went overboard... :roll:
Bunker thingies?
You know the four station sections on the front of the Peitho? You have two of those on the sides Epimetheus hull, which frankly don't look any good...
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

A couple of well placed lancet beams and, well, I think you can guess. :lol:
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

>_>

No, I can't.

He'd be in with the Lancet Beams?

In any case, download his file, and see how it goes. He's really powerful.
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

Lancet Beams would instantly remove all functionality from that ship.

Also, twice as many interceptors as a Helios and it's "very reliant" on supporting ships?

You can't post the code; the files are encrypted (th15's invention, not mine) because access to the code would allow people to execute their own code in-game. I mean, you can anyway with a memory editor, but not easily.
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

Oh. Well, it has that deflector. I would've used Aegis, but it always picks another spot, and stays there.

And should I remove some interceptors?
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

The beamers would be outside the deflector and probably would still get destroyed.

As for the interceptors, it depends whether it's supposed to be a battleship or a creativity showcase. If you're really intending it to be a battleship, think 6 beamers rather than 10 and yes, remove half of the interceptors.
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Post by The Infamous RayCav »

My YTMND ship has a better chance of being in the game than that monstrosity. It's nowhere near balanced, especially with so many beamers deep within a multiple-redundant Aegis shield which in turn is buried deep within the hull, and it's still got wildly unbalanced PD. This goes back to the surge of near-invincible wank-ships that we had at the very beginning.
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

Did you even see the firing arc for the Beamers? They fire in a straight line(only at max distances do you see any beam spreading). And it's turning sucks, too boot. Even a Zelus could take it down. As soon as you get behind it, it can't do zilch expect intercept some shots.

Also, look what the Aegis Shields are attatched to. Those big blocks on either back corner of the ship. They're just closer to the core of the ship within those parts.

I edited in the stats on the last post, so go check 'em out.
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Natch wrote:Did you even see the firing arc for the Beamers?
Do you see how many beamers you have? What's the point of having six beamers (about the same number a Cronus has) right on top of each other, buried deep inside an Aegis shield? How does that not spell W-A-N-K?

And it's turning sucks, too boot. Even a Zelus could take it down. As soon as you get behind it, it can't do zilch expect intercept some shots.
So? That's still a lame weakness, tacked-on in a futile attempt to make the ship seem less wanked-up. It's still too huge, too overpowered, poorly thought-out, and most importantly, with four PD lasers only a Zelus would be able to defeat it - anything slower, no matter how big, would be almost worthless. Nothing can penetrate the Aegis shield to knock out the beamers, and with the beamers stacked ontop of each other they essentially shield each other anyway. And even with only four PD lasers, especially given their placements just about the only thing that has any hope to strike back is a Oenone or a Cronus, and the Oenone would be torn to shreds by the beamers.
Also, look what the Aegis Shields are attatched to. Those big blocks on either back corner of the ship. They're just closer to the core of the ship within those parts.
Being that much closer means that unless you have a lancet you can't take the generators out directly - you have to destroy the actual sections they sit on, and yes it makes a difference. The sections are huge granted, but even with only 300 hp they're still pretty tough, and most importantly with those PD lasers only a beamer ship like an Oenone can have a realistic chance of hitting them without having to amass a mini fleet - and as I pointed out an Oenone will get torn to shreds by those six beamers, and no the limited arcs won't mean much as an Oenone won't be able to turn or run fast enough to make much of a difference.
I edited in the stats on the last post, so go check 'em out.
It's still not a ship that I think is designed intelligently or realistically. Start over with a clean slate, and look at the ships in the game for a good idea on how to make them.
Mechman
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechman »

Lets see...comparing it to the Cronus:
It has the firepower of a Cronus, minus the two pulse guns. All of it's firepower is straight foreward, with an arc so small the ai has trouble aiming the ship right, so it almost requires micro-ing just to get it to shoot. It has point-beams instead of particle guns, giving it powerful PD. It's slower than just about anything. It doesn't have a flux projector. It's lasers are completely invulnerable...hm.

Maybe if you removed the deflector protecting the stalk and removed 1-2 of the PD lasers...*shrug*
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Natch wrote:...

Okay, nothing I say will convince you.
That's because, frankly, the entire concept is just dumb. Like I said, scrap it and start over.
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

The Infamous RayCav wrote:
Natch wrote:...

Okay, nothing I say will convince you.
That's because, frankly, the entire concept is just dumb. Like I said, scrap it and start over.
Dude, stop being so damn elitist. I've only been here for 2 days, and you've been the most arrogant jerk here.

News flash, those numbers next to your post count and join date aren't a measure of how smart you are, how well you make your ships, how much you know about this game, and they CERTAINLY don't mean your superior to anyone with lower numbers.

That post count is just a measure of how much time you spend on the computuer, how fast you type, and how much you contribute your thoughts. See that join date? That's a measure of how long ago you found this forum and decided to join.

You have already decided my idea is crap and will never get in. You have not been reasonable, period.

In fact, your design for a ship is more overpowered than mine. You have the HP of a Peitho, the gun count and Deflectors of an Athena, the Interceptors of a Helios, and the firing arc and speed of a Cronus, with just a little more turning. To top it off, you're as a compact as a Hestia.

You tell me that isn't broken.

Now, I will say my ship is powerful to. Although your ship's Aegis Deflectos are exposed, you need to get behind it to even have a chance of hitting them. And with .50 turning, that's gonna be hard. Even with all exposed frontal guns down, it'll still have 2 Pulse and Tachyon guns.

My ship's Aegis Deflectors can be destroyed even from the front, and it's firing arc is limtied. It needs to be exactly facing an opponent to hit them. And with a slow turning speed, it's hard to get a bead on ships. Even a Hestia can run circles around this thing.

Think man, think. Stop being so elitist. I bet that if th15 had posted Mars Cannon instead of me, you wouldn't've been so condensending.
Havock
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Havock »

the concept is good, (mars cannon), but I think it should really have no defense other than a single point defense or something like that, make it slow as hell but with a decent turning rate and you might put the beamers WAAAAAY back in the centre, using the long "I" Shape as a barrel, you can still stack them, but assign half the beamers to the barrel, so if it's destroyed, firepower drops significantly.

That, or make it a defense station ala the super MAC's from halo :)
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

Eh, getting rid of some PDs could help.

Though splitting the beamers up doesn't work as well. I've had varients of the Mars Cannon(slightly different shape, more weapons, etc), and splitting the beamers up means that they rarely both fire at the same time, which deviates from the core concept.

Maybe I could remove all but one Point Beamer, then move it to the round bulge at the front of the barrel. That means more shots can get through, and the rear is less protected.
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Natch wrote:
Dude, stop being so damn elitist. I've only been here for 2 days, and you've been the most arrogant jerk here.
Why thank you! This is simply the most complimentary post I have ever received :D

Now to get back to the original point, your ship, at least at first, didn't even attempt to be a serious design - it was no different from the other wank designs that were popular when the ship builder first came out. Impossible point defense and ridiculous offense cannot justify an otherwise weak, slow, vulnerable ship. Your second incarnation is better, but not by much, and the Aegis shields only make it worse. It doesn't even have a clearly defined niche - it's just a huge cannon on a frame, something I don't think Battleships Forever really needs. And as th15 said in another thread about the fan-designed ships in general, and I can tell with the Mars cannon - there's not a lot of real forethought into the actual layout of the ship. I try to evolve my stuff and respond to people's criticisms - yes, quite a few of my ships were overpowered, but I've progressively evolved them based on those criticisms, by modifying the weapons layout to reduce total firepower, or by spreading out the arcs so that even if total firepower isn't reduced its more spread out.

In short, it's hard for me to accept your ship seriously.

In fact, your design for a ship is more overpowered than mine. You have the HP of a Peitho, the gun count and Deflectors of an Athena, the Interceptors of a Helios, and the firing arc and speed of a Cronus, with just a little more turning. To top it off, you're as a compact as a Hestia.
I'll have to admit something here.

There was a reason why I posted my ship right after yours. And in almost laughably predictable fashion, you fell into my trap.

First of all it has the HP of a Peitho because, here's a big shock, it's meant to be a Dreadnaught-class ship like the Peitho. Of course 550 HP might be a bit high, but it's 100 less than a Cronus, and only 150 more than a Moira/Enyo destroyer (of course the Aegis deflectors don't help the cause). It's also meant to be somewhat of a "special" ship like the Athena, using alien technology and meant to specifically challenge the Alien Dreadnaught. It's as compact as a Hestia, because, here's another shocker, it's based off another frame that's in turn meant to be essentially a bigger Hestia (no doubt you can see the family resemblance). Not to mention you say it has "the speed of a Cronus" even though the Cronus, at the blazingly fast speed of 1, is one of the slowest ships in the game.

Anyway, the really relevant points are, and this is what I was trying to illustrate, is what I tried to do to make my ship balanced. First of all, you'll see that a vast majority of the weapons actually lie outside the protection of the Aegis deflectors, so you don't even have to flank it in order to disarm it. I even went out of the way to place certain weapons and the deflectors at points that leave them vulnerable, especially this latest version. It's weapons arc is also, once again, distributed - yes, it has six scatterbeams, two tachyon guns and four pulse/gatpulse guns, but not all of them can fire in the same direction. Scatterbeams are actually kinda weak, and they can be shot off rather easily.

The second point was that I was hoping to illustrate some of my points by example. If you think that's overpowered, then maybe you can see how having six beams and four PD lasers (which, BTW, are much more powerful than point masers, which is why I only use PD lasers for joke ships) might be a little overpowered too.

And if nothing else I just wanted to see your reaction. Absolutely worth the effort :D