60 minute ship competition

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Gix
BANNED

60 minute ship competition

Post by Gix »

well, I'm rather new but it seems to me that this could be fun. Heres the basic rules

You have 60 minutes exactly to create a custom ship, during that time you can do whatever you want from custom size. color, weapons, whatever. After that time you can change nothing except
custom colors
parenting

afterwards the ships will be tested on
Appearance ( general pleasingness to the eye or overall design choice)

Overall Balance ( in other words, no shield whoring uberweapon spaming pieces of uninspired crud. Its not a fight to the death here, its value as a SHIP, ie, the helista could win over a giant wank ship because its better balanced and put together)

Usefulness (how well can it fight? can it work together with other ships? does it have obvious weak points or flaws?)

to enter, please post a pic of the ship, the sp3 and the shp files. Voting will be done by all the members in this forum (you can't vote for yourself). After two weeks no new ships can be entered and then the voting will commence.

its true alot of this will be on the honor system, but I figure, the ship builders good enough to win are pretty honorable.

so, tell me what you think and start entering your ships :)
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: 60 minute ship competition

Post by Anna »

Gix wrote:afterwards the ships will be tested on
Appearance ( general pleasingness to the eye or overall design choice)

Overall Balance ( in other words, no shield whoring uberweapon spaming pieces of uninspired crud. Its not a fight to the death here, its value as a SHIP, ie, the helista could win over a giant wank ship because its better balanced and put together)

Usefulness (how well can it fight? can it work together with other ships? does it have obvious weak points or flaws?)
I don't see how this will work if you're planning to put this to a vote, unless you're either going to ask people to vote on each category seperately, thus requiring three different polls. Or you could just have one poll, but that wouldn't work as well.

Also, a ship can be powerful without being a "uninspired piece of crud", and just because something is more powerful than stock, that does not mean it's "unbalanced".

And I'm assuming by "helista" you mean "Hestia", and am wondering how you managed to butcher its name so severely.

Eh. I may try to make a ship for this. Should be interesting, as most of my creations usually take longer than an hour. We'll see how it goes, though.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Gix
BANNED

Post by Gix »

I don't see how this will work if you're planning to put this to a vote, unless you're either going to ask people to vote on each category seperately, thus requiring three different polls. Or you could just have one poll, but that wouldn't work as well.

no, the over all vote should be based on these characteristics, not three sepreate votes but all three of those going into the over all

Also, a ship can be powerful without being a "uninspired piece of crud", and just because something is more powerful than stock, that does not mean it's "unbalanced".
no, you miss the point, I'm saying no 4 pieces covered in 50 rail guns. powerful doesn't mean bad, but at least make it....seem right you know?

And I'm assuming by "helista" you mean "Hestia", and am wondering how you managed to butcher its name so severely.

yeah my bad, I'm kinda tired and couldn't remember exactly the name of it
Koross
Commander
Commander

Post by Koross »

This sounds cool. It sounds similar to some 3d art sites where they have 60 minutes speed modeling competitions in the forum.

The idea is to have a theme and then the limitations. The main limitation is the 60 minute time limit. Of course people can cheat so this is more of honesty on the posters themselves.

About judging, what happens is the people who entered judge and give points on the work of others. Generally, in regards to the terms the OP pointed to, everyone would give their top 5 (with points) in regards to Overall Balance and Usefulness each. Then the OP calculates everyone's judging after a time period and declares the winner!
Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Post by Salvofire »

Interesting, you can sign me up. Most of my creations take 60 minutes or less anyways lol.

I agree with Koross on the subject of judging. That sounds like a pretty solid and easy to use judging system.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Umm, how do you make sure we spend 60 minutes on it?
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

mtheminja wrote:Umm, how do you make sure we spend 60 minutes on it?
Gix wrote:its true alot of this will be on the honor system, but I figure, the ship builders good enough to win are pretty honorable.
=\
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Or just set a date and time, keep the important details/requirements unknown until that date, then announce the start of competition and discard any submissions made after 60 munutes have passed.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Himura.Kenshin wrote:
Gix wrote:its true alot of this will be on the honor system, but I figure, the ship builders good enough to win are pretty honorable.
=\
Ouch, so much for speed reading. Yah, that would probably work, but we also might slip into making a ship similar to what we'd normally make. So...

re: Kaelis, I was thinking perhaps he could require us to use certain pieces in the design, or some shape, or whatever, since that would make us make something original, although some might not like restrictions.

What time do you want to do this? Not all of us are on all the time, after all... :wink:
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

This is neat. We should do a combat tourney for this.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Gix
BANNED

Post by Gix »

ok, looking over the responces I think it might be better to make it so the contest has two portions

a combat tourny

both ships will be put into the sandbox and given standard ai
fight to the death.

and a "best in show" for the above described contest.

as per creation and voting
for proof, a screen capture of the start and finish with the pc clock clearly visable would be good proof, still cheatable but not so much so. Besides the people who would cheat are usually not the greatest builders.

as per construction time ANY TIME IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS you can turn in your design. remember you MUST have both a .shp and .sp3 file

judging will be done as Koross described
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

I recommend a move to the tournament forum if this competition wants to get more visibility. The Custom Ships forum is specifically meant for custom ships.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]