The Felicitas (Revision Three)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Raithah
Commander
Commander

The Felicitas (Revision Three)

Post by Raithah »

The Felicitas-class Battleship
In-game Description wrote:Awed by the success of mass-produced alien vessels, pirate factions began stockpiling captured civilian ships. Their skill at EVA ship repair and blueprints of FleetCOM battleships combined, the pirates created their first standard assault craft - christened Felicitas after the Roman goddess of luck.

The first time I played through the campaign, I felt a pang of sadness. Here was this awesome group, the pirates, being shifted out of the limelight by a bunch of purple wusses ! I determined that the one thing that dastardly group of theives could use the most was a dedicated battleship ... not a flagship piloted by their annoying leader. So, loads of design revisions, one class change, typo corrections and a file type switch, here's the Felicitas. What follows is some backstory I cooked up to make the ship more believable.

It's a tough time to be a pirate. There's an army of military men who want your head, your leader's gone off the deep end and to put a cherry on this sundae of doom you live in, an armada of aliens has decided to elbow you out of the universe. Tough life.

The breaking point was passed when Nagaya swore allegiance to those purple fiends, signing up a sizable pirate population to be assimilated into their numbers as well.

Seeing their opportunity in this segregation of community, some of the more charismatic pirate commanders gave the order to stockpile ship parts as opposed to commandeering when the opportunity arose. Though suspicious of their superior's orders, parts were still stolen away to caches in the asteroid belts in massive numbers.

The plan had paid off. After only a month of stockpiling and hurried welding, the first self-built pirate vessel stormed off into the deep. A number of design issues had been caused by this decision, though : first and foremost were engine cutbacks. Intact warp generators were far too dificult to come by, and their characteristic signatures would have tipped off the Nagaya supporters far before completion. Instead, modified SLREs (Scout Long Range Engine) were used. This results in an abnormaly high cruising speed, though at the cost of helm control and acceleration.

This is still, by all means, a well built ship. Though frail compared to better established designs, it's outstanding design will see it through even the harshest attacks.

Add to cart.
  • Revision I : Changed health, removed main laser and two missile pods. Balanced for 0.86a.
  • Revision II : Changed an embarassing little typo (godess, not god) and uploaded the SHP file instead of an SB3.
  • Revision III : Redesign of forward section, replaced the point beams, removed a gattling turret and I may have decreased the health a bit ... it's perfectaly balanced, though.
Last edited by Raithah on Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
The preferred outcome of war, is peace. Ironic; huh ? -[citation needed]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Nice. Id really like to see a big version of this.
wolfy
Commander
Commander

Post by wolfy »

The pirates need a titan ship.

Someone should make a pirate fleet Mk2 (maybe you?)
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

Titans are made by people who are compensating for ... er, I'll wait until the mean age around here goes above the puberty line to complete that sentence.

In any case, though beautiful, the creation of titans or any ships larger than battle are far outside of my ability. Maybe you could beg Seraph to start a new line ?

Edit: Whoops, 'looks like I uploaded the sb3 instead of the shp file. Everyone okay with that (it's just one extra step before usage) ?
wolfy
Commander
Commander

Post by wolfy »

Raithah wrote:Titans are made by people who are compensating for ... er, I'll wait until the mean age around here goes above the puberty line to complete that sentence.

In any case, though beautiful, the creation of titans or any ships larger than battle are far outside of my ability. Maybe you could beg Seraph to start a new line ?

Edit: Whoops, 'looks like I uploaded the sb3 instead of the shp file. Everyone okay with that (it's just one extra step before usage) ?
:lol:
I'd say they are made by people w/ too much time on their hands... (like me)
RRoan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by RRoan »

Raithah wrote:Titans are made by people who are compensating for ...
... having a Vienna sausage? :P
[url=http://www.omniversezero.com/forum/][img]http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3814/sigpiclc4.jpg[/img][/url]
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

*cough* Oookay so I guess they have something *cough* on their hands, but it's *cough* more of a lack you see . .. ...

Have I ever told you guys this great story about the birds and bees ?

God forbid going on topic, but if you have any opinions of how to improve the ship (other than making it bigger, 'cuz that'll never happen) I'd be glad to hear it.

And I, henceforth, unsanction any humor regarding 'sausages' in general, to keep with this being a PG-13 site.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Nice work. I like to see people making nice sub-capital ships.

And yes, they may be compensating, but have you ever seen Paul Mccarthy's
*cough* artwork *cough*? Now that's compensation. If he would be on BSF, he'd probably be complaining that the shipmaker's field isn't large enough.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

I always through tthe pirates suffered from a lack of variety, but bmy "pirate" ships always came out looking more Terran than Pirate. Ah well.

It looks nice. Has a good flow to it, and isn't so advanced as to be out of the Pirate's league.
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

Thanks for all the positive comments - but I need some way to improve this (other than making it bigger) ! Revision II is up, now in the more convenient SHP format for great justice.
Temujin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Temujin »

I'd replace the point beams with something, but that's just because I can't see pirates with point beams.
[i]In difficult ground, press on.
In encircled ground, devise strategems.
In desperate ground, fight.[/i]
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

How about this : they're stolen point beams ? :D.

I've been considering replacing 'em with particle guns, anyways. Are the p-guns still horribly nerfed ?
Temujin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Temujin »

Probably, so maybe 4 p-guns for the p-beams.
[i]In difficult ground, press on.
In encircled ground, devise strategems.
In desperate ground, fight.[/i]
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

I tried a replacement, and it actualy helps (a bit). The minor amounts of ablative included are actualy starting to do their job, instead of being pre-empted by the PD.
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

(good god this is looking less pirate-y every day) *cough*

Anyways, the new design is up. If anyone actually been downloading, you may have noticed that the ships have been becoming increasingly nerfed. The reason for this is to try to bring the design aspect back into my ship building - if it's built well enough, I can make do with less.

Another thing I've noticed lately is that the ship is starting to resemble a frigate, at least a little bit. Should I be changing the Speed/Acceleration accordingly ?