My fleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

blackrider123 wrote:i hav already made the advanced alien cruiser, battlecruiser, carrier, dreadnought, and juggernaut(huge). i will post the picture if anyone is interested to see it.
Go ahead! There is no reason to hold out on us. :wink: I personally would like to see how you have improved over your previous designs.

And, since I'm here, I may as well share my opinion on your latest ships.

The overall shape is quite good, but the section placement needs some work, particularly on the 3rd and 4th ships. When you place sections on your ships, you should aim to cover the folds and joins in your ship in a way that it looks like they're connected to each other, as opposed to being cobbled together.

When using curved sections, try and avoid making sections jut out of the curved side (like on the front end of the 4th ship), the result is less than appealing. Also, be very careful when using irregularly shaped sections. They're best used when partially overlapped by other sections in my experience. And I would work on the colour scheme if I were you, its a bit funky at the moment.

On a side note, please use smaller screenshots. Forum-stretching pics are a pet peeve of mine.
blackrider123
Commander
Commander

all

Post by blackrider123 »

'Why so serious?' [b]-The Insane Asylum[/b]
bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Post by bl3d4 »

I like the carrier.
BTW, some parts of the Juggernaut seem... not to fit with the style.
We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong.
- Sir Arthur Eddington
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
-- Chapman Cohen
Bang Doll
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bang Doll »

Battlecruiser: The black sections are iffy, and that Deployer looks odd just hanging halfway off the back end like that. I'd also reccomend making those teal rod structures have a lower depth than the Boba_3's so that they go under it rather than just sit on top.

Carrier: I really like the shape of this one, and the color scheme is good too. My only minor nitpick would be to depth the Stock17 at the front to be under those circles.

Dreadnaught: Another really nicely shape, but it still needs some improvement. The red really grates on the eyes, but it is an improvement over the black. There's also that one thruster, second from the top, that's bigger than all the others. The thrusters are also too numerous and feel randomly placed. And there's the matter of those teal rods being hire than the Boba_3's.

Juggernaut: This one's good! The green is a little random and the thrusters still feel a little bit spammed, and the shield that doesn't quite cover everything is a bit strange, but for the most part this is a well-designed ship for a newbie.

I'd say that, overall, these a a great improvement over your first batch of ships. My only last nitpick is that they don't really seem to be all that unified, design-wise: the carrier and juggernaut seem to be from a completely different alien species than the one that produced the battlecruiser and the dread. Otherwise, this is pretty good for a third (fourth?) fleet.
blackrider123
Commander
Commander

Post by blackrider123 »

um... this whole thing is one fleet-_-

i just made a defensive ship but it may look crappy... those small platform thingies are rotating turrets, six of them, with a pulse gun each.

MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

*MelvinVM Looks*

Oh, no.

MY EYES! the colors

It burns my eyes

Ok seriously,
Try some more the with colors, I don't like it.

Loose sections never look good without a connection or effect connection
I'd recommend a kind of point defense connection.
Like Here
BizzarreCoyote
Commander
Commander

Post by BizzarreCoyote »

Floating sections don't really go over too well.

Also, the coloring looks...well, the only way to describe the color would be random. :?

Try making "tethers" from the floating platforms to the ship. Also, try shades of blue, green, or purple, instead of those three colors combined.
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/bizzarecoyote][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/bizzarecoyote.png[/img][/url]
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

MelvinVm wrote:Useless bullshit about his eyes.
SHUT THE FUCK UP. No one gives a flying fuck about your eyes. This kind of shit is not funny, it's not clever, it's not original, it doesn't make sense, and it is not helpful AT ALL. Thank you.
/offtopic

Everything else has pretty much been said. Colors are not well thought out, and floating pieces generally don't make much sense. I recommend starting fresh. Get a clear vision of what you want to make ahead of time-- not as you're making it.
blackrider123
Commander
Commander

Post by blackrider123 »

alright then, i was trying out rotation (its fun!) but i just can't get the colours right :mrgreen:
bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Post by bl3d4 »

Just would like to know. Where did you get the hexagonal sprites for the carrier?
We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong.
- Sir Arthur Eddington
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
-- Chapman Cohen
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

bl3d4 wrote:Just would like to know. Where did you get the hexagonal sprites for the carrier?
Its the doohex.gif from the doodads folder. Probably just flattened the layers...

Sorry but I don't care for these. There are elements that I like, but overall they just don't seem thought out. A lot of the section's are barely touching each other in places they obviously are supposed to. It wouldn't take much to fix them but they need to be tightened up imo. I do like the shape of the carrier. Try outlining the black sections on the first ship.

I think the rotating thing has promise but they should be more substantial if they are independently orbiting platforms. Perhaps look into doing the thingy with weapon drivers...

Obviously this is just my perspective, and their your ships, but perhaps go for a bit more realistic or practical looking? Alien ships can be hard to pull off properly... Still, I look forward to more from you!
blackrider123
Commander
Commander

Post by blackrider123 »

alright then, i just built my first station yesterday, here is what it looks like...

it doesn't look as big as it is, quite small for a station.
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

blackrider123 wrote:alright then, i just built my first station yesterday, here is what it looks like...

(pick)

it doesn't look as big as it is, quite small for a station.
Not bad, Not bad at all. Looks like the new ISS. But in some sort of a attack version. I would use ship deployers or dementers on those round inner "hatch" like thingies.
And the colours look good aswell, great inprovement over your first ships.
Singularity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Singularity »

Never mix fraxy parts with bsf parts. They have a completely different style.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Actually, I think they go rather well this instance. It's not especially good, but it shows potential. Some color, and maybe getting rid of the visible core underneath (can you change it's alpha? Dunno really.).
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush