Xor Fleet: Version 3.5 (Dreadnought added)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

I've been working on this ship for the past week...

Xor Dreadnought

The original plan was to release this along with updates to the rest of the fleet today but since this one took so long, all I have to show is this screenshot.

The ship isn't quite finished yet. I still need to do some finishing touches to the bodywork, and the weapon configuration is only a temporary loadout, just to give an idea of what a battle-ready dreadnought would look like. I have far more interesting ideas for the weapons, like turrets, and weapon layering.

Regardless, what are your thoughts on the ship?
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Very nice rough octagonal shape.

If I was a starship captain I certainly wouldn't want to see one of those coming for me.

Only one nitpick I can spot at this point.The lower right gap could use something extra.Perhaps a low depth(colorwise and mechanics wise) diagonal strut would work.(I'd imagine one in this direction / as opposed to \ )
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

Update! (Check first post.) I've added the dreadnought .shp file to the zip folder, and have made a few aesthetic changes to some of the other ships (namely, the use of the new sprites).

If you do download my fleet, could you please test the destroyer and dreadnought, and give me feedback on the new effects I'm trying out on them.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

To be honest, these ships look like an illogical amalgam of illogically placed parts. I appreciate the idea behind it, but it just doesn't look good. (IMHO)
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

ArcaneDude wrote:To be honest, these ships look like an illogical amalgam of illogically placed parts. I appreciate the idea behind it, but it just doesn't look good. (IMHO)
Well, the idea behind it is for it to look outwardly haphazard, but you do have a fair point, regardless. I guess this design style is just something you either love, or you hate.

Come to think of it, looking back at my designs, I think I've got the general feel and shape, but I've overdone it on the detail, making some of the areas of the ship look cluttered. I'll redesign the ships and (hopefully) come back with something a bit more presentable.
blackrider123
Commander
Commander

Post by blackrider123 »

nice design but... it should be used as a starbase :)
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

SHAD0Wdump wrote:Obviously the premise is to 'think Borg'.
Said with more gusto!
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

Damn, its been awhile. Anyways, I've resumed work on this fleet, and have been toying around with a new idea for the past week or so, and this is my first tentative attempt at implementing it...

The execution is a little poor, I know, but the idea behind it is to add armour plating to the ships to tidy up their looks, and to bulk them out a bit. I also plan to experiment with shaded sections to give them an added sense of depth.

So...what think?
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

It looks better but i want more of that "Xor" feel on it with more random machinery like parts and possible more details on the armor and it would very nice. As for that beam weapon thing on top perhaps making it more Xory?
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Isu
Captain
Captain

Post by Isu »

Well i for one, unlike AD, like this style very much. I don't really like the changes made to the dreadnought though, i like it better without the steampunk meets warning forever lookin pieces. I think you should make a station or something.

*goes to make assymetrical ships*
On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

You made those Xor sprites, right? I love them but like several builders who make their own custom sections, you've failed to make them the proper color. So when you color them in game, they end up a different shade then the stock pieces. If its intentional then so be it, but fixing them is as simple as opening a section and a stock section and eyedropping the color over.

The new dreadnought has a good premise but could use details like an interior glow or lights or something to give it some character. One of the things I did with your sections on my dreadnought, that noone seemed to notice, was build the shape out of your super detailed sections with beefed up hp, then build the hull over them so if it gets damaged they are sticking out like internal frame. Their perfect for that. I do think this second version is much more structured instead of being random sections sticking out.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Piffle. I think the lighter internal shade actually looks better this way and emphasises that the armour is on 'top' of the internals.

Besides, it's not a rule that you have to make them that particular way or colour internally.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Good point.
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

After a couple of weeks working on and off on this, I have finally finished my latest iteration of the new Xor design...

I chose the carrier as the guinea pig for my new design idea. The idea is the same as the idea for the dreadnought, to add plating to break up the mass of raw machinery to give it a more polished look. This time around, the ship was rebuilt from scratch. I also experimented with shaded sections...but, that didn't go so well (it achieves the effect I want, but I made the center too bright, so any section placed nearby will look at odds with it.)

Its not finished yet, but I want to gather some comments first before I continue work on this.
Last edited by the mulletron on Wed May 20, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

Im not registering to just see a ship, go use www.majhost.com, easy fast host where you can also use subfolders, as well as uploading .zip files where the content images will be unzipped