MRA; Second Gen on page 21

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Interesting story?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:54 am

Yay!
100%
Nay.
No votes

Total votes: 12

lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

may i ask (not sure if this is the right place but...) how exactly are you going to handle the community fleet, as well as the ships that are not exactly balanced to specifications? (re: all of Anna's ships :) )
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

lightstriker wrote:may i ask (not sure if this is the right place but...) how exactly are you going to handle the community fleet, as well as the ships that are not exactly balanced to specifications? (re: all of Anna's ships :) )
AD hasn't fully revealed his plans for the story line or battle plans yet. Obviously the ships can't all be loaded so he may have random encounters between various combination of ships, but we won't know until everyone turns in the downloads. I know the enemy is on pg. 8 :shock:

And I'm not entirely sure that Anna has even contributed ships yet. He was referred to as the only race in this galaxy with comparable technology to the enemy, but unless I missed it or the communications were direct between him and AD, we don't know his empire's reaction yet.

And we were asked to balance our ships reletivly close to the sample ships AD provided, but I'm sure once he has the downloads he will have to be checking for wankage on their settings.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

true. i was just asking under the assumption that some ships would be wanked, and Anna was the first example of possible inclusions that would be... welll... yeah... i did not mean to imply that Anna was included, just that if he was i was curious as to how the balancing would work.
Lord-General Thunder
Commander
Commander

Post by Lord-General Thunder »

You know, there's something that's making life extremely difficult for me right now, and that's the pile of shielding these ships all seem to have.

I can't even cause significant structural damage to an Insania with a 600-damage shock beamer* once the shields have gone up. :shock:

Any particular reason for having so many? :?

*the shock beamer is from my artillery destroyer. It's the only weapon it has, not including point defenses.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/BLANKcopy-6.jpg[/img]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

You're doing it wrong.

Also, without the shields, the ships would tear each other to bits in a matter of moments.

In OSEC-related news, I'm currently trialling the Phantom-class Bomber;
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Lord-General Thunder wrote:You know, there's something that's making life extremely difficult for me right now, and that's the pile of shielding these ships all seem to have.

I can't even cause significant structural damage to an Insania with a 600-damage shock beamer* once the shields have gone up. :shock:

*the shock beamer is from my artillery destroyer. It's the only weapon it has, not including point defenses.
1) Only the VSE and RAN ships have shielding.

2) That's because an Insania has 1600 health, meaning it would take a shockbeamer of 1600 damage to destroy a shielded section.

3) Actually, I don't have that many. No, I really don't.

4) Interesting. A 600 damage shockbeamer. How original.

Look, the downloads I gave are final. There are sb3's with them, if you don't like something, change it for Pete's sake.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

To Arcalane's ship.

Looks ugly to me. Can't say anything about that.

It's mainly the blocky front and the section stretching.
Lord-General Thunder
Commander
Commander

EDIT: Should I post my faction blurb here or somewhere else?
ArcaneDude wrote:
Lord-General Thunder wrote:You know, there's something that's making life extremely difficult for me right now, and that's the pile of shielding these ships all seem to have.

1) Only the VSE and RAN ships have shielding.
Ok, good. I'd only tested it with VSE ships.

I'll knock down the damage to something a little less astronomical, then.
2) That's because an Insania has 1600 health, meaning it would take a shockbeamer of 1600 damage to destroy a shielded section.
I know how the shielding works, dammit. I'm not a complete noob... XD
4) Interesting. A 600 damage shockbeamer. How original.
Well, 600-damage per frame. It's actually a 200-damage shockbeamer with burst set to three.

Really, what else are you going to do to represent a self-propelled cruiser-sized high laser cannon?

Need I remind you that the Hades, which is of the faction you said these were to be balanced with, has 100-damage megabeamers. This is the equivalent of six of them. I believe the Hades mounts that many, as well as numerous other, similarly powerful weapons.

Given that the ship itself (and therefore the cannon) is quite a bit more than six times larger than any weapon (or combination of weapons, for that matter) on the Hades, I could probably justify making it even more retarded than that.

But I'd really rather not... :x
Look, the downloads I gave are final. There are sb3's with them, if you don't like something, change it for Pete's sake.
Hey, I just wanted to know why is all... :?

Arcalane

But it's more fun that way... :P

Anyways, this is what I have so far for my fleet. The one on the far right is still WIP. The artillery cruiser is also WIP, but it's much closer to completion.

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/BLANKcopy-6.jpg[/img]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Some of the designs have promise but on the larger one I seriously think you could have used a variety of sections instead of all those 25s. Its not so much that its repetition as just below your abilities. The main bodies of the ships aren't bad.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Lord-General Thunder wrote:Well, 600-damage per frame. It's actually a 200-damage shockbeamer with burst set to three.

Really, what else are you going to do to represent a self-propelled cruiser-sized high laser cannon?
Just look at the Earthshaker's Spinal Gun. Now that is how you represent a self-propelled cruiser-grade heavy gun. ;)

I strongly recommend that you look into Shockbeamer Overlay techniques for more visually appealing beams that don't look retardedly huge. What you do is you have three beams; an exterior glow colour (pink, orange, red, blue, green, whatever), an interior core colour (white) and if you want a high-powered one, a megabeam "injector" (white also).

The Earthshaker's gun works on this principle (as do most of my other heavy guns; I invented the initial concept, and Lizzie added the injection system) and it's fairly easy to implement as long as you know what you're doing. Plus it looks quite nice if you get the settings right. :)
Need I remind you that the Hades, which is of the faction you said these were to be balanced with, has 100-damage megabeamers. This is the equivalent of six of them. I believe the Hades mounts that many, as well as numerous other, similarly powerful weapons.
As do many other ships in the fleets.
Given that the ship itself (and therefore the cannon) is quite a bit more than six times larger than any weapon (or combination of weapons, for that matter) on the Hades, I could probably justify making it even more retarded than that.

But I'd really rather not... :x
1000 would be a minimum for a supposed heavy beam gun of that size, if you ask me. The Earthshaker runs at around 5000 if I remember correctly; not as punchy as Anna' beamcannon type ships, but still quite beefy and capable of searing through lighter shielded craft. I'll have to nerf it though as it tends to incinerate larger ships too, if it can catch them offguard.
Arcalane

But it's more fun that way... :P
I like my fights to last more than a few seconds. The deflectors are excessive in 1v1 combat, but the effect in fleet combat (where a deflector-armed ship can be outflanked beyond the capacity of it's deflectors) is much reduced. I generally have 1 deflec to every 10 sections not counting ablative armour.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Lord-General Thunder
Commander
Commander

Arcalane wrote:I strongly recommend that you look into Shockbeamer Overlay techniques for more visually appealing beams that don't look retardedly huge. What you do is you have three beams; an exterior glow colour (pink, orange, red, blue, green, whatever), an interior core colour (white) and if you want a high-powered one, a megabeam "injector" (white also).
Yeah, I love the idea and tried implementing something similar (as you can see with the Vacuum cannons on the Deterrence and Guardian classes) using regular beamers, but they keep pointing off in different directions even though I cloned one on top of the other! :|

The main problem with it is that if it doesn't work it looks silly. :(
Arcalane wrote:I like my fights to last more than a few seconds. The deflectors are excessive in 1v1 combat, but the effect in fleet combat (where a deflector-armed ship can be outflanked beyond the capacity of it's deflectors) is much reduced.
Very true.

I just don't really like them too much. Would using black ones be wrong?
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

They shouldn't point away from each other if they have the same -everything- (besides color and damage).

Set deviation and initial deviation to 0 so that the beams don't slash. Overlay only works on direct-fire beams.
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Arcalane wrote:1000 would be a minimum for a supposed heavy beam gun of that size, if you ask me. The Earthshaker runs at around 5000 if I remember correctly; not as punchy as Anna' beamcannon type ships, but still quite beefy and capable of searing through lighter shielded craft. I'll have to nerf it though as it tends to incinerate larger ships too, if it can catch them offguard.
Hmm... A Nonsense Codon is OP compared to IVL/MRA standards, but your Earthshaker gun cuts it down in seconds. I'd think a weapon that strong would make RPing tough because it'd become the answer to any threat that isn't walled up behind high-HP Aegised sections.

EDIT:
Droid wrote:They shouldn't point away from each other if they have the same -everything- (besides color and damage).

Set deviation and initial deviation to 0 so that the beams don't slash. Overlay only works on direct-fire beams.
They can still be thrown off sometimes. I've seen the Hade's beams lose their overlap before, along with when I was fooling with overlapping beams.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Even when they're thrown off, they should be randomly rotated and facing different targets. The worst I've seen is just non-synchronized firing (where the shockbeamers and megabeam alternate). It happens a lot with the Vernatio Deus's main cannon.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

when is it going to be too late to submit something?