Xor Fleet: Version 3.5 (Dreadnought added)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Yes, I know the ships look kind of "messy" but...that's kind of the point. The ship designs were inspired by Borg (Star Trek) and Xenon (X3 Reunion) starship designs.
These designs are evolutions of the sb3 originals, and I think it's good to have a change from 'ship-shaped' ships, if you see my meaning. I think that the sense of depth is excellent, particularly on the Xor, and placement is sound.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Obviously the premise is to 'think Borg'.(not all their ships are generic shapes!)
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Ships that don't look like ships? This is mind-boggling and unacceptable!

Just kidding. Honestly guys, since when did spaceships all have to look vaguely like something out of a scifi movie? These are pretty decent for very unusual spaceships.

I prefer the Battleship myself.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

Kaelis wrote:Could be a decent start for a station or some massive structure, but right now, at a first glance, those do not seem to represent anything. And they definitely do not look like ships to me.
Blackhart wrote:Im gonna have to agree with kaelis. As space stations, your cruiser and battleship look good. But as ships.... uh...I don't know really quite how to describe them. Confused
All I can really say is that the cruiser looks alot better when all the parts are retracted, and I really like how the battleship is built. In closing, they are well built, and I like what you are trying to do, but you need to work on making them look like ships.
I understand what you're saying about them not looking very ship like, but that's the whole point. I designed them to look very alien, or at least not human, so I've done away with all the normal design cliches, (ie. Symmetry, pointy noses, wings, etc) and replaced them with rough edges, abnormal shapes, and a general lack of conformity of any kind.

I haven't got any sort of backstory written out yet, but the Xor are a race of robots, and their ship designs are driven by a cold logic as opposed to any sense of aesthetics, and since there is no atmosphere in space they wouldn't have any compulsion to streamline it either, so their ships therefore wouldn't be recognizable as such (well, in a normal sense anyway).
SHAD0Wdump wrote:Obviously the premise is to 'think Borg'.(not all their ships are generic shapes!)
Yep. More or less true, and I will admit now that the Xor Fleet (especially the Battleship) borrows heavily from Borg ship design.
Arcalane wrote:I prefer the Battleship myself.
Heh heh, So do I! :)
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

That battleship is absolutely bitchin - love it completely :D

Seems like you're thinking a bit along the same lines as me - why do ships have to look like ships? It's space, dammit! Anything goes!

Keep it up, nice work on the sb4s so far.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

Got another update for you...

Xor Destroyer
I knocked up this ship last night. I did well, considering I had no reference to work from (I've lost the screenshot of the original on my home computer :oops: ). I feel as though its still missing something, but I don't know what.

As always, comments and criticisms welcome.
Aederrex
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aederrex »

the mulletron wrote:...still missing something...

As always, comments and criticisms welcome.
Some sort of visible engine. Being asymmetric, your ships can look like a jumble of scrap, but if there were some sort of visible engine nacelle or something, you can at least tell what direction is forwards on the ship. In my opinion, that is what keeps your ships from looking like ships. (this is also why I don't build asymmetrical ships, because no matter where I put thrusters on it I'd only be able to imagine it flying like a pinwheel)
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

I think I can get used to this kind of building style. :D
Kind of reminds me of the xenon ships from X3, very robotic.
the mulletron wrote:I feel as though its still missing something, but I don't know what.
Me thinks its that stock section 22 in the front. Maybe adding a section to it or replacing with a less bland section might make it look a bit better.
Anyway it looks good, nice work!
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

Aederrex wrote:Some sort of visible engine. Being asymmetric, your ships can look like a jumble of scrap, but if there were some sort of visible engine nacelle or something, you can at least tell what direction is forwards on the ship.
Hmm, not quite what I was looking for, but an interesting point nonetheless. I've always wanted to experiment with aegis effects on my ships, but have never found a use for them. I might incorporate your idea into a few of my ships in the future.
Blackhart wrote:I think I can get used to this kind of building style. :D
Kind of reminds me of the xenon ships from X3, very robotic.
The Xenon have also been a major influence on my ships. Their ships are some of my favourites in the X-series.
Blackhart wrote:Me thinks its that stock section 22 in the front. Maybe adding a section to it or replacing with a less bland section might make it look a bit better.
I have tried replacing it with some of the newer sections, but I can't find one that's similar in size to section 22, and I don't want to resort to stretching. Regardless, I work on it.
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Update!

Post by the mulletron »

Updated my fleet (check first post).

They should all work, but minutes before I uploaded it onto the ship database, I loaded the Cruiser into BSF and it started coughing up blood (read: spitting errors at me). Its probably to do with the moving sections, but regardless, I think its fine now.

As always, comments and criticisms are welcome.
DoomBringer
Commander
Commander

Post by DoomBringer »

Hmm good for Asymmetrical ships I make them too so I understand your pain its hard not to mirror I think your ships are really unusual and strange but thats a good thing down with geometry Asymmetrical for the win.

Note PM me if you need tips on Asymmetrical
Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy.
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

Nice, I like what you did with the engines and the carrier. The destroyer looks better with that new front end, and I love what you did with the gunship. Good work :)
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

the mulletron wrote: Xor Destroyer
*Sneep*

Put some bright blue, glowy thruster EX modules on the back. I like it, very Xenon-ish. The thrusters would reinforce that.
I knocked up this ship last night.
:lol:
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Magick wrote:
the mulletron wrote:
I knocked up this ship last night.
:lol:
I laughed.

Anyways, these are some really nice ships, however they are a bit too dark and the depthing looks a little weird on some of the struts/outersections. Maybe beef them up a little?
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

Magick wrote:Put some bright blue, glowy thruster EX modules on the back. I like it, very Xenon-ish. The thrusters would reinforce that.
I will keep that in mind.
Deltaflyer wrote:they are a bit too dark and the depthing looks a little weird on some of the struts/outersections. Maybe beef them up a little?
Too dark? Are you saying that some of the shades I'm using are too dark, or is it too dark in general? And are you referring to actual section depth or the shading effect I'm using to imitate depth?