AD's cunning concepts: Adelaide class on page 11.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

X-14
Commander
Commander

Post by X-14 »

Hehe. AD i use your ship as background for my PC ^^
Are you create a fleet like this desing???
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Il be honest. I like the old one more. It was much more solid or coherent if you will, keeping a single established style. This one has too much variety as far as section choice and placement goes, much like your other ships of late. I like certain parts of it (tip, engine), but not as a whole. Youve got EriErins curvy sections, generic tech sections, WF, sections, stock sections, mecha sections... Blocky/angular parts meet curvy ones. Detail meets lack of detail, crispy meets blurry. It all makes it feel like its a mashup of different styles.
guilee186
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by guilee186 »

I like the cool new recolouring, making it look less... drab.

Also, it's really, really, awesome. Thanks for making my day, AD.
Congratulations. You're a textbook definition of a troll. -Danny
~Armored Core is to Cosmicbreak like Starcraft II is to World of Warcraft.~
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

X-14 wrote:Hehe. AD i use your ship as background for my PC ^^
Are you create a fleet like this desing???
No, I am not ...err...will not create a fleet in this design...yet. I might pursue it, but I have loads of things to pursue as it is. The RTN needs a destroyer, and that lobster-like ship I posted a while ago needs some buddies too. In the end, I might resurrect the Intergalactic Alliance and make thos lobster dudes some kind of enemy.

Kaelis: The crispy meets blurry part is an inevitable result of trying to use less sections while still retaining curvature. I'll admit that the detail isn't as wonderful everywhere.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

I will have to agree with Kaelis on this this. It is because the level of detail across the whole ship is inconsistent. It should either be all detailed or all not so detailed.
I should suggest that you replace the WF sections with some other sections that have more detail. That or you added smaller sections over them to achieve the same result.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Let us get one thing clear: if I add any more sections to this, I won't be able to arm it. The armament is finished, I added a few flaks as an afterthought, and the thing crashed. I removed the flaks, and it worked fine. So no, I won't add anymore sections. What I *can* do is alter the WF sections to have more detail. I've tried that in the past, however, and it didn't look good. I'll see where I go with this, but I don't think I can change much.

The alteration in detail isn't just a result of the sections I used, it was done largely on purpose. The flatter parts are supposed to depict flatter areas, the more detailed ones are supposed to depict segments, equipment,...on the ship's hull. Once again, it doesn't look as good as it could in theory, but in practice it's not that simple. The curvature of this ship isn't easy to depict with the sections at hand, and I've stated before why I didn't make any custom sections.
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

I still say the original looked better, but kudos for making a version more likely to actually work.
It's at some point going to have that doomsday device it's supposed to have in the backstory, right?

P.S. When I saw the phrase "Jade Martyr Redone" I was like "ZOMGOMGOMGOMG...!!!1!" :lol:
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

What might be possible is combining some of the repeated sections or small groups into single custom sections, allowing you to cut down on the section count without losing anything.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Hm. I've been trying that on the original ship to get it to work (to no avail), but combining it with a redesign might not be such a bad idea. Would earn me some extra leeway (and some extra fps, by the way). Thanks, Arc.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Some tips in regards to combining sprites:

You can disregard colors entirely (as in, combine sections with different colors screenshoting them from shipmaker) as long as you make sure the resulting section is set to non-team white color afterwards.

don't make it too big, or something really bad might happen (BSF blowing up in your face). 512x512 should be an absolute max.

When combining, make sure you don't combine rotated/stretched (as in, blurry) sections that at the same time meet empty space. Otherwise, youll get ugly, blocky transparency, since section import does not handle partial transparency.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Kaelis wrote:When combining, make sure you don't combine rotated/stretched (as in, blurry) sections that at the same time meet empty space. Otherwise, youll get ugly, blocky transparency, since section import does not handle partial transparency.
What you could theoretically do is take the screenshot in a version of SM with interpolation turned off and use that for cutting sections out of. BSF/normal SM will interpolate normally rather than twice-over and you should have no issues.

But that's just a theory and not exactly practical.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

The JM is almost ready for download. In the mean time;

Aynskallayd Clan Stellar Warship Narodna

The Verdian empire wasn't always a united nation; up untill a hundred years from now, the entire Verdian race was split into dozens of Clans, all warring for supremacy in their sector of space and divided by their culture and tradition. Their combined history didn't make it any better; ancient grudges provoked bloodshed, vendettas and fueds keeping the will to fight going.

At some point in their history, one of the Verdian clans, which had defeated it's major enemies long before began to see the pointlessness in the endless conflicts and wars conducted by their people. Members of this clan quickly raced to see the Verdians united once and for all. Their zealousness, however, was not always met with enthusiasm.

It's unclear when the divide happened exactly, but about a decade later the Verdian clans were divided (or unified) into two factions: those who were for unification and those who were against it. Odd thing is the Conservatives became largely what they were trying to fight, with the Unificationists often laughing at the irony of their alliance.

One of the conservative clans was one of the most powerful and ancient ones around. The Ayskallayd clan had a hang for defending tradition with a fighting spirit rarely seen. It was they who saw the need to unify the conservative clans in order to defend the higher goal, knowing the whole coalition would crumble in on itself the very moment the war was over. It was also they who put the most resources into the war effort, building an impressive space force. Their main achievement, however, was the towering Narodna: a large battleship who's very shape was meant to intimidate. The large, claw shaped ship would swoop in on foes like a predatory bird.

The further development of the war is well known; the Unificationists eventually won, and the Narodna was heavily damaged during the last battle. It now serves as a museum ship.
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

wow...its like an evil Andromeda on crack! though theres alot of sections int here I usually avoid, the thing looks mean like few ships i've seen. At worst I'd say parts of it look blurry like there stretched, but that might just be the screenshot or my eyes. First ship i've seen in awhile that uses repetition reasonably well.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

My eyes were drawn to those wings almost immediately.

Very impressive.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

The four "armor" sections on the wings look strange to me. (The one with the purple glow in it and the one next to it).

They have a different style and level of detail compared to the rest of the ship, and looks slightly strange. Refining the lines on them so they aren't so crooked would probably go a long way into making them fit in more.

Overall, it's very good though. Those four sections are the only things that really stand out as out of place.