A noob tries to make a ship

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

maarten wrote:Sorry to ruin your party, but Eri made sections move when others were distroyed.
Crashtestdummy wrote:Edit: The Idea with the primary section blowing off is very impressive i think ill look up what Eri did once ill get the chance to work further on the ship.
Reading, motherfucker! Do you understand the concept?!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Crashtestdummy
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Crashtestdummy »

After I'm now able to work on the enterprise again. I tried to redesign the saucer section. It does look much tidier now but I'm not satisfied with the result either so I would like to hear some suggestions on how to make it better.

25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The saucer has too many awkward angles created by your sections. This makes it look ragged.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Actually, he understood perfectly. I mistyped the part about triggers destroying sections, but the concept I explained and he showed interest in: the stardrive section separating and exploding when a warp engine is destroyed; seems perfectly feasible using Eri's techniques.

As for the new sectionwork, its better but there just aren't many sections suited to a saucer, believe me I've tried. Best bet is to make some custom sections, ignore sectionwork in favor of the overall awesomeness of the animation, or go to someplace like Wolf's shipyard and turn some of the ST pixel art parts they have into bsf sections.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

jwa8402 wrote:
Actually, he understood perfectly.
He did. Maarten didn't.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Crashtestdummy
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Crashtestdummy »

I've been busy with some other things lately so I couldn't work on my BSF ships. Anyway now I got some time and tried jwa's suggestion to let the engine section move next to the saucer however i think i ended up puttin it a little to far away. What do you think, should I leave it like this or should I let it move under the saucer.
(I also decided to concentrate on the animation because I didn't wanted to make custom sections, and I know the saucers sectionwork isn't as good as it could be with the use of custom sections.)

PS: I din't want to make a new gif for it because the position isn't final. I think I'll do a new one if I got the position right

Edit:
A New ship I made while I was a bit bored, I tried to build it much smaller than my previous ships.

It is a little atmospheric cruiser which can transform when it's out of the atmosphere and doesn't need to be aerodynamic anymore.

inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

New ship is small but still cool. Bigger isn't always better.

Anywho, nice job with the Galaxy-class. It's very More then Meets the Eye.
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
MagusZero
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MagusZero »

What's the advantage of non-aerodynamic form?
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

The ability to have more armor. Besides, what's the use of aerodynamic ships in space? Besides looking pretty. It also looks cool.
Crashtestdummy
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Crashtestdummy »

@ Magus: I could think of an advantage, like the core being able to have more room to cool down and so giving the ship more power (no gurantee to be scientifically correct), saying it is a ship made to protect more little ships behind it or I could stick with inteuniso and say it looks cooler this way :D .

However I wanted to try out to make a little ship transform into something bigger. It wasn't necessary to have an advantage through this you could consider it as some kind of a test. Maybe I will try out a little ship which actualy has an advantage through this like a shuttle which wouldn't be able to fit in the hangar bay of it's mother ship if it's wings aren't in hinged position.

Edit: Another reason would be that it may be more intimidating towards hostiles if it is bigger :cool: .
MagusZero
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MagusZero »

K, good. I like things to have a reason. Most of my transforming ships so far mostly just involve redistributing the armament.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

This is the only reason you'll ever need.

The cruiser is a good start but I think you need to be a bit more adventurous with use of that kinda stuff.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

Arcalane wrote:This is the only reason you'll ever need.

ALL HAIL!

I agree with Arcalane. Make a transforming ship that's as big as the shipyard, but as cool as the cruiser, and I will literally have to pick up my jaw everywhere I go because it will be touching the floor.
DarchZero
Commander
Commander

Post by DarchZero »

@inteniuso: I'd like to see a ship as large as Kazuael's Cathedral of Stars or Spoot Knight's Archbishop in transformation. Kewl :)

IMHO, transformation took to long in the small ship. But if USS Enterprise can transform from that small ship, all hail. That just gave me an inspiration. Although, if the ship is under fire and got a section destroyed in small form, wouldn't the large form be clearly affected? Especially if it's a joint part? The extra sections may go ka-pop from the inside, and that's the end of our transformaship.

And the USS Enterprise didn't really look eye-catchy to me. Maybe because of the detail? But overall shape? Win.

P.S: inteniuso explained. Thx :D
Last edited by DarchZero on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Died to gatekeeping and mod arrogance
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

Suspension of disbelief. You know it's scientifically unpossible, but due to the Rule Of Cool, it's allowed to be unpossible just because it's too damn cool. Like the plasma bolts, commonly called lasers, in most sci-fi shows. Unpossible. But looks damn cool. The Rule of Cool is apparent everywhere in these forums.