My second dreadnaught. WIP

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

My second dreadnaught. WIP

Post by Devour »

I'm currently making another large ship after a burst of inspiration. So I thought I'd come over here and show you what I have so far, so that you could say what you want added to it before I finish. Say any mistakes that I need to fix, what you feel the shape of this ship should be, or any other comments.
Skarmory The PG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Skarmory The PG »

Eeew, stretching. I haet stretching D:
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

And I hate your section usage. You should probably remove that white "straight line" section in the middle. I think you have a pretty interesting idea here with the shape but it is executed poorly. Try to make your ship flow more.
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

Yeah, sorry about the stretching D:
I don't have any large sections, and I'm not sure how to make a bunch of peices be only one section. I also need to practice "flow" more.
But I'll try and make it look better as I build on.
BlackMetalZivon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by BlackMetalZivon »

The struts connecting the sidepods to the main ship look flimsy.
I would also recommend completely covering the core. It really stands out.
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

Thanks. In response to it looking flimsy, I'll actually connect the "wings" to the middle section completely, but making the space in-between dark.
By the way, is it possible to make portions of the ship be only one section? If so, how do I do it?
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

You mean like, Grouping them together and then using them later? I don't think so.

But you can select the one section all the other parts are parented through (think of him as great-great-great Grandpa Section) and select "group move" by right clicking on it. Voila, you can move that big-ass hunk of sections.
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

I don't mean making them actual sections to use later, but to make them all one section on the ship so that it doesn't lag so much.
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

Ok.. this ships section work is equivalent of a monkey and ironically my avatar is a monkey, the shape is ok though. Also try some colors here a there to give depth and to brighten up normally dark areas. Ok section work.. seriously the idea of sections is to make them feel as they flow together to see what I go look at a experienced ship builders ship. The very very middle of the ship's section work is ok you created flow there every else outward no. Also try not to create a big gaping line all the own the middle..
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

Thanks for the large amount of advice. It helps a lot when people do that.
But a while after building some more, I decided to scap the dreadnaught idea. I flipped the ship around, continued building, and finished with this:
Please give criticism once again. :P
Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Blue-Rex »

The overall shape of the shape of the ship is nice, but the layering is horrible. Try to layer your ships like you would an overview of the pyramids lightest at the top, then as it goes down the shape gets bigger and darker.
If you do that your ship would get tons better. Also, try not to stretch a section more than one pixel because it takes away from the ship itself. Just try to practice fixing that. It takes time, but it's worth it in the long run. (And the Moderators won't rip you to shreds.)It's a good start otherwise.
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well 'do not stretch' has obviously been said, but my advise would be to build smaller. Don't go to the other extreme and cram pieces together, but there is no reason you couldn't make that ship in a third of the space. Its always a smart idea to start at stock size and move up from there, imo.

If you are creative enough with section use, and try to make each area have an actual function, there is no reason to ever have to stretch a section more than .5 or 1, and then only to line it up with other sections.
Skarmory The PG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Skarmory The PG »

One thing I forgot: It's spelled Dreadnought. Not Dreadnaught (though correct, it's not the name), and not Dreadnaut.

[edit] Actually, looking into the subject, all three are correct, however, Dreadnought is the spelling of the class of proto-battleships, starting with the HMS Dreadnought. Star Wars uses Dreadnaught, however.
Last edited by Skarmory The PG on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

jwa8402 wrote:Well 'do not stretch' has obviously been said, but my advise would be to build smaller. Don't go to the other extreme and cram pieces together, but there is no reason you couldn't make that ship in a third of the space. Its always a smart idea to start at stock size and move up from there, imo.

If you are creative enough with section use, and try to make each area have an actual function, there is no reason to ever have to stretch a section more than .5 or 1, and then only to line it up with other sections.
This post helped a lot. Thanks a bunch.