Something big.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

With 25000 HP multisections you could argue that this ship is made of an extremely heat/radiation/energy resistant material.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Arcalane, I think BSF custom shipmaking abandoned realistic design a while ago.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Slayer0019 wrote:Arcalane, I think BSF custom shipmaking abandoned realistic design a while ago.
This is nonsense. Just because most noobs and several vets can't be bothered to put some thought into their designs doesn't mean it shouldn't be standard practice to try. If nothing else, a back story explaining as Commodore did, that its held by a electro-magnetic field, at least makes it plausible if not scientifically likely.

Commodore: The reactor looks better though I was thinking of the one with its middle filled in but this actually looks pretty good! I'm really digging the use of warning forever sprites.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

jwa8402 wrote: This is nonsense. Just because most noobs and several vets can't be bothered to put some thought into their designs doesn't mean it shouldn't be standard practice to try. If nothing else, a back story explaining as Commodore did, that its held by a electro-magnetic field, at least makes it plausible if not scientifically likely.
Great quote.

Anyways, I liked the previous version better. This one is too big to utilize so few colors. Don't get me wrong: I love the color scheme, but it needs some accents to emphasize some of the excellent section usage and to make the design pop. Also, I'm damn impressed that you got this behemoth down to 100 sections.
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

Well, remember that the arms are only one section. I think I'm going to have to make the glows a separate single section that goes over the first one, just to get it to look good.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Slayer0019 wrote:Arcalane, I think BSF custom shipmaking abandoned realistic design a while ago.
There's a thin line between acceptable breaks from reality and nonsensical, retarded it-sounds-cool technobabble. I'll also point out that a fair number of ships still try and maintain some realism, even if they don't use 100% realistic designs and tech levels.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Whoa.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

The fact that central glow goes out far out of the main ship bothers me a little bit, but otherwise, this thing is looking pretty awesome.

May I ask what Framerate you were running this thing at?
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Xynus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Xynus »

big ship is big. take a picture of it near a sun so we can see the dang thing? it's big and impressive and all that but it's just too dark.

edit: ehh sorry about me being an idiot and saying it was too dark. i was viewing from way too far back and so i saw almost no contrast between detail and section fillness in the outer sections. but yeah. it's huge and big and impressive and stuff.
Last edited by Xynus on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Damn. This thing just keeps getting better. As far as it being too dark, I don't really agree. My screen is decent, but hardly high contrast.

Is the core animated? I hope so. That would be awesome.

Final note: I'm not a big fan of the thrusters. I feel like it needs to have a smaller number (1-3?) of big engines on the back. Everything about this is gigantic, except for the puny thrusters.
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

th15 wrote:Whoa.
That thing is BIG and the way you used that big subtle blue glow on it makes it even more impressive to give the illusion of light. Great job commodore.
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

While it's a bit too dark to really appreciate I can see the time away was well spent C111.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Someone is pushing the standards. God damn, it keeps growing like some kind of expanding transformer thing unfolding.

With a reactor like that any weapon mounted on it better unleash a galaxy's worth of energy at its target.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Dang. Shape and section usage is really awesome. The outlines are really well placed too. I actually like the dark colors. I think I see a holy ship.