Random Salvaged Part Generator.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anarki
BANNED

Random Salvaged Part Generator.

Post by Anarki »

I was bored, and thinking about the pirate ships, and how they were constructed from salvaged sections.

I tried making some, and instead, got some uber junk which didn't look like it wasn't constructed from salvaged sections.

So, I created a little Game Maker program which rolls random sections for myself to use, and to share with others.

You need Game Maker 7.0 to open the .gmk file included - so you can see my crappy coding skills. I am planning to expand it so that certain sections are rolled more often then others, and other features such as dump to text, and the ability to set how many sections salvaged. However, I was too lazy to wait, and I just posted this random (but slightly biased) rolling thingy.

The idea is, to use those salvaged sections to construct a ship (preferably with some kind of two modules per section rule).

Link is here [although this site sucks for uploads]: http://files-upload.com/files/616096/bs ... r-0002.zip

--------------UPDATE--------------

Yay! Made a new version. Very lazy, though, so the code is horrible and is going to cause me problems in the future. I made it weighted, so you are more likely to get sections, then weapons, then modules. Small sections, common weapons and modules, are favored over uncommon and alien.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1ZJCTGQ9 is the link.

However, my code is horrific. Don't look! It will drive you to suicide! But if you have a deathwish, it's right there.

New features:
- weighted rolls
- ability to change how many sections per roll (click on a section to disable or enable)

Controls:
R to Reroll
Left Click to disable or enable sections

Planned features:
- dump to text
- create a key (which could be used in tournaments)
- accept a key (which will generate pieces depending on the key)
- more sections
- me learning to code properly

LATEST DOWNLOAD: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1ZJCTGQ9
Last edited by Anarki on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Sorry. You can not download this file today. Download traffic for your country is empty.
:(

Try MegaUpload.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Ewww. I'll upload tomorrow.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Hrm... this is actually pretty interesting. I'm going to try my hand at making a ship, based on a random roll of sections... although I might need to roll twice, since my ships are often very large, and have lots of sections. :lol:

EDIT: I can upload the zip onto megaupload or something, if you'd like?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Yeah, I guess. Megaupload doesn't seem to work for me properly - I guess I gotta clear out my cache or something.

Anyway, it's rather basic, and I find that you get weapons more often then sections. As I stated previously, I'm going to make it more advanced, so you get more common weapons (like blaster) over things like Pulsar Guns.

Also, I was thinking of turning it into an RPG of some kind - my program keeps tabs on what stuff you have salvaged, and when you fight an enemy ship, my program will automatically generate salvaged parts.

Of course, this will only work via. trust system ^.^
Anna

Post by Anna »

Sounds like an excellent idea. :D
Here's the link for the file, for those of you who can't download it from the previous link.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LL9LMDZI
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

Well, I made a ship with the salvage parts thing. Had to roll twice the get enough parts... I like it. It's ugly, but it looks like it has teeth.

I haven't added weapons to it, yet... I'll do that soon, and then when I post up my new ships, I'll put the completed version of this up with them.

Quality Control Enforcer
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

I still am unsure how I am going to make it biased so that more common sections and weapons appear more often. Thinking maths is not my strong point, and furthermore, there is the challenge of evaluating what objects would appear more commonly then others.

I might make it read off a text file, so that anyone can input their own chance values, but I am still unsure.

I'm going to work on the bias first, before I work on more features.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I would suggest a high emphasis on low-grade weaponry like standard blasters, flak cannons and mining beams, with less and less chances of high-end or alien weaponry.

I also suggest simply applying a "priority" or somesuch to each. Take every stock ship including civilians, bases, pirates and aliens. Count the number of times that any one part appears and total it. There's a basic start. Add the custom sections at somewhat reasonable levels. Duplicate for weapons. :)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TranquilRage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TranquilRage »

Next stage is to accept barcodes from random sources as input for generating ships.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

lol

Yeah, I was trying to figure out a way to emphasize stock weaponry - but if I just counted it, I think that it won't help, because there are quite a lot of alien ships.

I think I'll just organize them into categories, ranking common, uncommon, and rare - with common having blasters, flak cannons, mining beams, pulses, missiles, etc. - uncommon having plasma charges, gatling weapons, weasel and railguns, and rare having all the alien weapons which haven't been replicated on Terran ships.

Same with modules, but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do sections.

Basically, when an object is chosen, it has a 4/8 chance of being a section, 3/8 chance of a weapon, and 1/8 chance of a module. When the type of object is chosen, it will choose a weapon grading - common, uncommon, or rare, then pick a random one out of that.

I think I'll also make an option to display them as text - but that's going to be difficult for me - I hate text in GM.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Anarki wrote:Yeah, I was trying to figure out a way to emphasize stock weaponry - but if I just counted it, I think that it won't help, because there are quite a lot of alien ships.
True, but the blaster armed Pirates should even out the score, and there's nothing to stop you evening them out a bit afterwards. :)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Ay plans to continue this? It's quite neat.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

I would if I got off my lazy ass.

Maybe I will. Hopefully before Ship Maker 3.0 comes out - because then I'll be all fanatical over Ship Maker.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

I was pondering stuff like a Salvage Tournament, or stuff like that, though you'd need to run a lot on the honor system.