Omicron Empire

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LTfoxfire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Omicron Empire

Post by LTfoxfire »

It's called the Omicron Ring. It has no real offensive weapon, save for the center covering of mining lasers. All weapon damage is normal, the point defense and flack cannons have a 300 range and the mining lasers are only focused inward. The exterior hull has a 3000 HP each but the inner armor is normal and the Core has 50 hp. Get to the center and take out the core, which takes out the ship, as always. I made it a bit difficult to find out which is the core, but if you look enough, it's easy to spot.

I's supposed to be for fun. Im almost done with the Omicron Spiral, I'll show it in a while.
If you have a car that can go the speed of light, don't bother to turn the headlights on.
Smut
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Smut »

Holy weapon spam.
Wait, 3000 hp PER PIECE?
LTfoxfire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LTfoxfire »

The point is you're not supposed to deathstar the outer hull and win. You have to make a ship that can find the "hit me" target to take the Ring out before the Ring surrounds your ships and steals your artificial gravity forever.

I could have had one mining laser with the power of three, or one scatter beam....hmm
If you have a car that can go the speed of light, don't bother to turn the headlights on.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Umm. Where do I begin. Oh, I know.
The 26s are ugly as all hell.
The ship is going to have to be fast if it plans to sit on top of other ships
3000 hp per piece may as well be 9 hp per piece: That much flak and point beams are a barrier against projectiles.
The 50 hp internals are proof that you forgot about railguns. A single Aedon would trash this thing.
Spammy, repetetive, and overall I give it a D.
Concept is interesting though, which kept it from outright failure.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
LTfoxfire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LTfoxfire »

Actually I didn't forget about rail guns, but that was the point. And the rail guns are effectively shot down by the pointbeam.

The Ring is quite fast, with a speed of 4, turning of .5 and acceleration of 1, it can attack ships the way it was meant to.

I keep down loading the ships others have made and just felt something different was needed. No, the bad designs of others is little excuse to make something equally crazy but after sandboxing the ship I made the following changes.

The mining lasers have a range of 150 with normal damage, the pointlasers have a range of 75 to prevent them from shooting down most internal attacks. All flack guns removed. I'm testing now
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

1 Kamikaze = Dead. :?
LTfoxfire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LTfoxfire »

The 26s are ugly as all hell.
I agree. Hope this looks a bit better.

Spammy, repetetive,
Circle things typically can be. I wanted to make it fun, not a work of art.
I don't know how far fetched it would be to have one point laser do the work of five. The point was to have to attack it from the inside. I'm still working out some points as to the best way to keep the core from going when an enemy is blown up. Sort of difficult for obvious reasons.
LukeRM
Commander
Commander

Post by LukeRM »

The new version looks better
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Well, the concept is interesting but the execution is quite poor in both ships. Again, too much PD, and the section usage definitely could be better.
LTfoxfire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LTfoxfire »

Not all ships need to be aesthetically pleasing. If something is to be alien, then streamline and animeish designs themselves can become redundant too. This was just a quick design and in no was meant to challenge any design skills.

I do however need a refresher in balancing. I’ve seen it on several custom ships where spamming became an issue. Yet, isn’t it a problem to have one weapon maxed out or increased to acquire the firing rate of several weapons?

I take the designs I make and pit them against the ships of the game. If something the same “class” blows it away in under 30 seconds I revamp the design. I feel it should take 1-2 minutes at most to have the best results. That’s of course if they are fighting head to head.

The ring is fairly large and takes some time to take out Nagaya’s 2nd boss ship. More than 3 minutes. Nagaya’s 3rd one takes a bit more time as his whole ship fills the inner circle. I feel that’s good enough, but I may be wrong.
Venator
Captain
Captain

Post by Venator »

Balance is whatever you make it. I take it you've never seen, for example, Lizzie's Hades in action?

To use an example that I have on hand, my Ironclad.

The pulse guns put out 25 damage per shot; the tachyons are 500, and the main beam puts out close to 300 damage per frame. It might sound insane, but it's actually decently balanced to the other ships it's meant to fight against.

Edit: Of course, there are times when a ship is unbalanced no matter what your standards are; generally, it's the small, ugly ships with absurdly powerful uber-weapons, which are just a sign of rookie building.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2921][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/AESig.png[/img][/url]
Warrior of Anarchy
Commander
Commander

Post by Warrior of Anarchy »

it looks kind of normal, like it has already been done and it is not a good ship(or ring in this case).
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

This is just ugly, and I mean as a product of shipbuilding, not just as a ship. They said 26s are bad and you added more?!
My issue with it is that there isn't any more to the ship. Add some hullmeat to the outside, maybe some ablative armor so you can take away some of those beams. I know its not meant to be a work of art but its not even symmetrical.
If the goal is to surround a portion of an enemy ship, wouldn't you want substantial interior armor?
I can tell you right now even that many pointbeams would not stop even my standard weapons. I'd destroy only a single section with a few volleys, and then your ship is already hulled and its purpose defeated.
Have you thought of adding a dieterling so it can just jump right over a ship, if I'm reading its purpose right? That would make it more difficult to fight cuz it could quickly bypass an enemies outer defenses. Then since you wouldn't have to move to reach your enemy, you could have it spin fast, so they can't focus their damage.
Maybe add a shielded Frosch gun with low range to stun the ship once you do get over it.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

I'd like to see you select that dieterling and frosch with your mouse cursor. :P
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

This is *almost* as bad as Tsakara's ships. Only, you didn't just use ONE section, you used TWO! Hatsikidee!

Section variation is your friend.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush