CE factions etc

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

CE factions etc

Post by BoVinE »

So, yea, none of you except maybe Norm will have heard of them, mainly because I haven't got to touch the ships in a while. So, today I did a quick update to one of the past ships I made for that faction.

(Only new piece is sec 70, because that's the only one it needed)
On the bars are orange line doodads set to multiples of .16, so they fire in a circular order.

Backstory whenever the hell I manage to do it.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

gotta finish highlighting, but the hull is pretty much done and the main gun is on there.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Finished, minus small stat tweaks!
Fully armed too, minus machine-guns which somehow aren't in yet :|
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

vulcan cannons?
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Um, the Vulcan cannons are huge, and if you haven't noticed, I like to keep low weapon profiles.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

At first i thought its rather meh, just another one in that style. But the longer i look at it, the more i like it.

Thanks for doing a 100% zoom, cropped screenshot, too. Although it would be even better if you put a black background behind it.

And thats the ship i was talking about in IRC. But now i can see what took so many pieces. Well, you can use section under effect for outlining now.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

First salvo :D

Kaelis, I'll do that as soon as we get depth values for that.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Purple beams, fuck yeah.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Lord-General Thunder
Commander
Commander

Post by Lord-General Thunder »

BoVinE wrote:<snip image>
Always love it when the screen's been tilted by an explosion like that. :lol:

The ship's awesome, too.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/BLANKcopy-6.jpg[/img]
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

So, I need some help on ship roles. I know a couple, but I want to have a full fleet this time, and I don't know exactly what I need.
If there already is a thread, just link me to it and I'll concede I didn't look hard enough.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

"Needed" (note the quotes, this is damn subjective): superiority fighter, ship of the line, standard frigate, standard cruiser, battlestation

Common: Bomber, AF-Frigate, Carrier, Siege Frigate, Monitor (battleship with heavy guns, low shielding), dreadnaught (larger version of a moniter), Heavy beam gun craft.

Uncommon: Fighter-bombers, gunships, light carriers, support ships, support-stations, various broadside craft (could also be included in common), super-dreadnaught, "mothership" (super carrier).

that's all I can think of really... please note that these categories are generalities, so... uh... yeah.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Cool, thanks. I think I'll skip the bombers, as the main guns on most of these are essentially that already.

[size=0]The penetrator was not just a chunk of random metal. The optimum design had been found on the Karchava engineering database and slavishly copied. At the core was a long, pointed, chunk of heavy metal, in the case of this penetrator depleted uranium. Of all heavy and hard metals it was the most available to humans since it was made from reactor waste that had been reworked to remove all trace of radioactive particles.
Out from that it was simple steel. A lot of steel. Enough steel to make a World War Two destroyer.
The outer layer was a thin sheaf of carbon monomolecule. It was there to prevent significant damage from micrometorite hits. Like a diamond, the penetrator was hard but fragile. Even a very small pebble could, potentially, crack the penetrator before it hit its target. And that would be sad.
Accelerated to a small fraction of light-speed, the titanic dart gained a boost of energy from Einstein's famous equation, raising its potential kinetic energy to right at the output of every nuclear weapon on Earth at the height of the Cold War—several exajoules of energy.
When it hit, a significant fraction of that astronomical energy was transferred to the Dreen brain-ship.
The penetrator hit on the nose of the brain-ship, slightly to starboard. Most of its mass converted to plasma immediately, the inertia of the impact carrying the blazing ball of hell deep into the vitals of the ship. Bulkhead after bulkhead was vaporized as the gaseous fire burned through everything in its path. The plasma ripped through seventy percent of the weapons controls on the starboard side, devastated starboard fighter systems, which had yet to launch, and tore apart thirty percent of the ship's environmental systems.
But at its core, in a way worse, was the massive dart of depleted uranium. The impact mostly vaporized the steel around it and, due to simple physics, the plasma front could outstrip the speed of even the relativistic dart. But the harder, stronger, heavier metal remained intact for a few moments, blazing at the heart of the plasma ball.
That is, until the plasma expended its last joule of energy. Leaving the dart to fly ahead of its wavefront and smash further into the interior.
Depleted uranium is very strong but it is also, again, fragile. As soon as it hit a major obstacle, a primary support beam for the ship, it broke apart into a thousand pieces. And like flint and steel, when uranium hits even itself hard enough, it sparks. Then, like magnesium, it burns.
Thousands of chunks of white-hot uranium crashed into the depths of the brain-ship like a flaming shotgun blast.[/size]
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Not much to see, just dicking around with fades.
EDIT:
Finally finished arming the bastard, but I'm getting some oddities with the laser cannon.