My first ship

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Killer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

My first ship

Post by Killer »

My first (submitted) ship is here. Comments/criticism appreciated.

Also, there are no point defences due to the shield/ablative armour.

Here is a picture w/o parents shown:

And one with:
Last edited by Killer on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Its actually okay, the shield doesn't work around the left and right. Maybe a little cluttered but it is nice, good to see a young shipmaker starting properly, rather than rushing in head first.

Also, welcome to wyrdsym games :)
Killer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Killer »

Glad to be here :)
When you say that the shield doesn't work on the left/right, do you mean that stuff passes right through it? All projectiles (i.e. anything but lasers) should be stopped by it, although the explosions from missiles tend to reach the inner ship.

Also, should I send the .sb3 as well as the .shp? The thing I'm afraid of is plagiarism, as you can't really edit a .shp (EDIT: or can you???).

Another thing: you might notice the tiny, thin, black section at the very prow of the ship. Unfortunately, I shrunk a tiny bit more than I wanted to and now I can't click it (or delete it). It isn't that important, but it would be nice if there was a way to get rid of it.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Missiles are not AoE weapons. Plasma charges, on the other hand...

And no, it's impossible to edit a .shp file, or at least reverse engineer one into a blueprint without manually remaking a ship from a screenshot.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Try making some sectiondads and aegising them as done in the BSF-Alchemy thread
Killer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Killer »

Arcalane wrote:Missiles are not AoE weapons. Plasma charges, on the other hand...

And no, it's impossible to edit a .shp file, or at least reverse engineer one into a blueprint without manually remaking a ship from a screenshot.
Missiles have to be AoE; I've seen a missile (singular, not plural) destroy a shield section whilst simultaneously harming a hull piece on the ship.
Deltaflyer wrote:Try making some sectiondads and aegising them as done in the BSF-Alchemy thread
If they're aegis'ed, won't that completely stop anything from penetrating?
Anty
Commander
Commander

Post by Anty »

Killer wrote:
Arcalane wrote:Missiles are not AoE weapons. Plasma charges, on the other hand...

Missiles have to be AoE; I've seen a missile (singular, not plural) destroy a shield section whilst simultaneously harming a hull piece on the ship.
probably the damage caused by the debris
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Killer wrote:

Deltaflyer wrote:Try making some sectiondads and aegising them as done in the BSF-Alchemy thread
If they're aegis'ed, won't that completely stop anything from penetrating?
Not exactly. I'm not sure, but if I recall Aegis correctly, what it does is more or less insta-healing. Pump the damage on a weapon high enough and the aegis won't keep up.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Killer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Killer »

Anty wrote:probably the damage caused by the debris
If a section is destroyed, and has no children ( :( ), isn't there no debris?
T-002 wrote:Not exactly. I'm not sure, but if I recall Aegis correctly, what it does is more or less insta-healing. Pump the damage on a weapon high enough and the aegis won't keep up.
I think I'll go back and make a different version with aegis and see how it works. For now, though, I'm off until later tonight. Thanks for the comments/criticism all!
DeathsHand
Captain
Captain

Post by DeathsHand »

Anty wrote:
Killer wrote:
probably the damage caused by the debris
Sometimes when multiple missiles are launched, they will lock onto the same target and home in together, covering each other and giving the impression of one missile. As well, it may depend on the missile itself. If it was set to an exceptionally high speed missile, it could have skipped sections. Then again, it could have been one of those many WTF?! moments that are lacking any sensible explanation :|

@The ship: It is interesting, the doodads are not bad at all, and it makes for an interesting stock balanced ship. The aegis seem a little nonfunctional, however. The module seems too exposed, and the wing itself provides little in the way of functionality. All in all, a nice little ship, however :D
S͜͟t̷̀̀͟i̷͢ļ̸̕͞l̸̶͞ ̷̢͘͟l̡͟͝u̴̵̸͜͢r̴̸̨k͏͟į̨͜n̛g̸͢͝
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Killer wrote:

They're not. Trust me on this one.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Killer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Killer »

DeathsHand wrote: @The ship: It is interesting, the doodads are not bad at all, and it makes for an interesting stock balanced ship. The aegis seem a little nonfunctional, however. The module seems too exposed, and the wing itself provides little in the way of functionality. All in all, a nice little ship, however :D
The wings are very functional. If they are destroyed (say by some random flanking ship) then all the shields on that side are destroyed. They also prevent the ship from looking like a dull sphere >_>. The aegis is purely for aesthetic purposes.
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

sometimes i hate my schools computers, they've blocked your image host. so I can't see your ships. judging by the other's critism, i'd have to say it's a good ship, but it sounds like the wings could have some more albative, low HP sections on them.

just my half cent.
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
Caesius
Commander
Commander

Post by Caesius »

To be honest I don't particularly like the shielding. To me it looks like a rollcage or a wire handle, which is made worse by the dotted lines.

Before we make any real judgments on your potential you should probably go for something fairly large (for a newbie ship anyway); at least 100 pieces.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/corporal_esche/sigs/caesius-bsf.png[/img]
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Before we make any real judgments on your potential you should probably go for something fairly large (for a newbie ship anyway); at least 100 pieces.
Grmbl, people can make ships just fine without needing to make 100, 200, 300, 1000 piece big ships. A creator can be a good creator making only stock size stuff.