Noctis's work Currently Mechanist Fleet (clockwork)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

First, the point defenses are a bit much. The point beams actually kill the projectiles before they even clear the barrel and thats from rather far away. The clip size is rather high and with the fire rate and reload there is almost no chance for any projectile weapon that is not modded to fire a huge salvo of rounds at very high speeds to even get close to your ship.
That was intentional. I want all the 888 stars ships to be immune to projectiles but weak to lasers. I figured that since they only use lasers most of the time it is fitting. Besides, these guys are supposed to be the most advanced race in their whole galaxy. But I think I'll release a few versions, one like this one and one maybe tuned to a lower tech tier with much less shielding.
Second, the main cannon is......well....wank ship worthy. And coming from the guy that made a tatari killing wank ship that says alot. The main gun cut my ship in half way to fast for a ship of its size and my ship has alot of armor and shielding. The main cannon is more of what you would find on a mobile weapons platform and not a little ship.
Same as the defense thing. Highly advanced race means highly dangerous weapons. I'll tone it down in the "balanced" release.
But remember, these ships are so powerful and can shrug off attacks in such a way that the societies that fought against them labeled them as immortal.
Third, for a speed of only 3 the acceleration is 200!!!!!. A bit much
ah thats an error, I set it to 2, least I thought I did. Will fix.

For something that is suppose to be a small guardian ship for bigger ships its weapons are way to much for its role, if it was a mostly immobile defense weapons platform then i would say its mostly perfect but its not a weapons platform is it.
Well in all honesty what this thing is designed for is to do nothing much but to sit next to the orion station and guard it, basically just like a weapon platform, though one that can move. *shrug*

*EDIT*
Almost forgot, the main cannon also has de-syncing issues. The arc range is still too much so the layered beams tend to split and target different sections so it does not look very good.

I had to make my arc ranges for my main cannon on my ship under 1 so they would not de-sync, i do have to point the whole ship at a target and force fire though but it looks good doing it ^^
See thats the weird part for me, because in the 30 test firings I did 28 worked fine, it was just at a specific distance that the beams either split or didn't fire in sync. I'll work on it some more
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr40/Noctis888/SMframe0001-5.gif
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

I still don't like the layering. Try doing it from the inside first.
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

my layering is the same as Anna's
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj18 ... rFinal.png

only more noticeable because my ships are light as opposed to his. I'll try it next time but honestly, seems like a little bit of favoritism to me.
DeathsHand
Captain
Captain

Post by DeathsHand »

I'm not sure what deltaflyer was referring to, but the way it is layered seems quite fine, at least to me. However, there are several slightly annoying layering errors in it.

1- Those could be fixed by shrinking the sections to fit, or by covering them with another section. Right now they are very noticeable in their current state.

2-Same. They could use some shrinking or nudging.

3-Same.

They really disturb the symmetry, and stand out well against the background.
S͜͟t̷̀̀͟i̷͢ļ̸̕͞l̸̶͞ ̷̢͘͟l̡͟͝u̴̵̸͜͢r̴̸̨k͏͟į̨͜n̛g̸͢͝
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... rsion).shp

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... rsion).shp

MAKE SURE TO USE THE WHOLE CODE INCLUDING THE () REGIONS

OK, the balanced version's changes
half the life as before
Orion's blade scaled MAJORLY back, now 60 damage
defense systems weakened, 25 shot clip with 10 reload.

Overall changes
fixed syncing for Orion blade (or it did for me)
hopefully error with acceleration fixed (it has a bad habit of not actually changing unfortunately)
Addressed the mirror errors death pointed out, fixed the rear one, covered the front with the orion cannon but couldn't fix the middle without taking the whole ship apart.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

It is not favoritism, it is simply that to me, instead of the ship's side going like this:
(excuse the weirdness of the diagram)

|\___
| ___
|/

It could go like this and look better:
___
/
\____
So that it slopes down to a point instead of simply ending. Thats how I feel. With Anna' ship, it is less noticeable.
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

Noticed something odd

The orion blade completely ignores Rorschach fields, both in story and balanced versions.

any idea why?

Also

Polaris armed. Its a station and hence immobile
Has NO point defenses
armed with 4 Orion Blades as main weapons (one at the tip of each arm) as well as Comet Strike cutting beams.

Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

Noctis wrote:*snip*
That looks extremely painful.
There is only one response to that weapon...

FZZZZZT :lol:
T Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T Rex »

Magick wrote:
Noctis wrote:*snip*
That looks extremely painful.
There is only one response to that weapon...

FZZZZZT :lol:
Especially since you can see the explosion shockwaves of 11 diferent ships in the picture :shock:
As the dawn calmly rises, the smooth metal glimmers. Forty ships of the fleet slip by with smooth ease. The ominous planet below them is soon to witness the largest battle in galactic history
Grenville
Commander
Commander

Post by Grenville »

Noctis wrote: That was intentional. I want all the 888 stars ships to be immune to projectiles but weak to lasers. I figured that since they only use lasers most of the time it is fitting. Besides, these guys are supposed to be the most advanced race in their whole galaxy. But I think I'll release a few versions, one like this one and one maybe tuned to a lower tech tier with much less shielding.
If i may make a suggestion. Making them immune is making them a bit too wank ship like since many use projectile weapons and there are some that don't even like to use beam weapons at all. Making it so your point beams can shoot as far as a normal weapon and kill the projectiles as they exist the barrel its just abit over the top.
Same as the defense thing. Highly advanced race means highly dangerous weapons. I'll tone it down in the "balanced" release.
But remember, these ships are so powerful and can shrug off attacks in such a way that the societies that fought against them labeled them as immortal.

I can understand that, still i may have to reinstall my dark aegis battle blades to stand more of a chance against your ships. I had my ship just stand there most of the fight so i could see what your ship had to throw at me and the beam riped through me before i could do enough damage to your ship with my plasma beam arrays to stop you.
ah thats an error, I set it to 2, least I thought I did. Will fix.
The acceleration is different then the speed, you set it to 2 and it will be 200 in game. Set it to 0.2 and it will be 20, set it to 0.02 and it will be 2.
Well in all honesty what this thing is designed for is to do nothing much but to sit next to the orion station and guard it, basically just like a weapon platform, though one that can move. *shrug*
Ahh, you mentioned before that is was a little guard ship so the role it played was rather confusing since it can do so much damage.
See thats the weird part for me, because in the 30 test firings I did 28 worked fine, it was just at a specific distance that the beams either split or didn't fire in sync. I'll work on it some more
At close range with the current arc range it won't de-sync much but as range increases the arc range will become more noticeable so it will de-sync alot more often.

If you never want it to de-sync at long range then you have to make the arc range almost non existent, but then you will generally have to point the whole ship at the target and force fire the weapon.

I tend to like to do that for my really powerful main guns so they are more balanced and can't hit you with great ease but everyone is allowed to do as they like. Just remember that if you make them too powerful people won't want to play against them, i learned that after my tatari killer ^^"
Veronw
Commander
Commander

Post by Veronw »

nifty weapon there, and nice station, very intricate looking, has an alien feel to it
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

Next comes the arming a of the Orion, though I don't know if I can even take screens. Slows my pc to a crawl just to USE it let alone fire it.

Download of Polaris
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... olaris.shp

(I am aware of mirror errors, but because of how the ship was made, using group cloning, its pretty much impossible to fix now. I'll make sure they don't happen in anything after this. These exist on the Orion too.)
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

Been fiddling with making a nice "ion cannon" effect for the next ship, which is a actually just one of the components for the Starforge, but I digress.
Whatya think?

If you look at the glow on the upper one you may notice something interesting...
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

You used either 'black' or near black color, I assume, to get the bluring effect within the beam.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

The blue hue on the top beam disappears as the beam 'cuts' through the explosion.