Imperial Terran Fleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Dreamyr
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Imperial Terran Fleet

Post by Dreamyr »

Ok so I've been playing BF for a few months and I've finally decided it's time to parade around some of my creations. I have some more as well as the stuff you will see today but they aren't upgraded yet as I made them back right after I first got the game and they look rather horrible(single color, no aegis fields etc)

So without further ado(also please ignore typos and spelling errors, I haven't had a chance to edit my post yet):

The Athena Class Heavy Destroyer(yes I realize that there is already a battleship with that name but I don't care) is a ship designed to take on and defeat larger vessels such as other destroyers, cruisers and battle cruisers. The heavy forward beam and torpedo weaponry insure that anything that comes across its forward firing arc will take considerable damage and its moderate broadside weaponry and heavy point defense grid ensure that it is not taken by surprise.

The Zeus Class Light Cruiser is a break away from traditional Imperial doctrine of Heavy defenses and even heavier weaponry. A relatively new ship with few in service at this time it makes use of a revolutionary inertialess drive system (ie: I forgot to add the thrusters :oops: ). The Zeus was designed in response to increasing levels of pirate and Dreadani Raider activity. With this in mind it sports a large amount of light weaponry with only a few heavy weapons to give it the punch it needs to take on other ships and protect vital ship components.

The Achilles class Heavy cruiser is the workhorse of the Imperial Fleet. With a mixed balance of beam and projectile weaponry as well as a rather heavy point defense network ensure that it can take care of itself. The Achilles was developed when Aegis field technology was still fairly new and expensive and thus does not have the rather extensive Aegis network that imperial ships are known for to cut back on costs.

The Odysseus Class Battle Cruiser is a older design before the advent of the Aegis Field system and miniaturization technology. Only moderately armed for its size it is still nonetheless a favorite of older flag officers who remember serving on them during the Draedani war four decades ago. With a versatile armament including a at the time revolutionary drone system it is a rugged ship meant to go head to head with Draedani Capital Ships.

During the beginning of the war the Odysseus class met with great success but as the war drew on the Draedani became more familiar with its capabilities and founds it greatest weakness. The Defense field matrix system used by the Imperial navy before the advent of the Aegis technology was superior in coverage. However, once the energy stores were depleted the defense fields came down until they could be recharged. The Draedani employed hit and run tactics to slowly weaken the ships before pouncing for the kill with a massed attack while the fields were down.

The Aegis Class Battlecruiser is a favorite of newer flag officers. With its varied weaponry and extensive Aegis network as well as multiple Nano-matrixes allowing for prolonged deployment it has been estimated that it will remain in service for many decades to come. While the forward and rear arcs are well defended and armed the broadside capabilites of this ship are lacking with only a smattering of blasters, pulse guns and short range lasers it fits the more modern navy officer with its head to head tactical capabilities.

The Heracles class Battleship is the pride of the Imperial Navy. Heavy weaponry, defenses and the ability to stay on patrol for almost indefinite periods of time thanks to its multiple Nano-matrixes it can take on whole fleets of lesser ships on its own. Despite its seemingly vulnerable flank any foe foolish enough to get behind a Heracles will soon find themselves biting off more than they can chew. Multiple rear facing heavy weapons and pulse cannons ensure that most foes do not survive long enough to more than dent the armor plating.

Leaving only odd angles as the weakest points of defense ensures that most of the ship is well protected and even those who discover these angles will find themselves surprised when the face the two dual mounted heavy beam cannons with a 360 degree firing arc.

The oldest ship in the Imperial Navy is one that is still feared throughout the known galaxy. The Kratos Class Juggernaught is the most powerful ship in the fleet. Despite its outdated equipment and weaponry the sheer size of the mammoth ship allows to to weather punishment that would destroy any lesser ship and keep on coming. Any ship that wanders into range of its broadside will more than likely not wander back out and ship captains need to be wary of even a partial broadside from the wide attack angles sported by the heavy railguns its mounts.

There are also rumors of plans to upgrade the ship with modern equipment and Aegis Field technology. Those that hear of these rumors invariably shudder to think what a such a behemoth could do.

....There are also rumors floating around of a new class of ship under construction at the Olympus Shipyards. These photographs taken recovered from the wreckage of a small shuttle craft that apparently got to close to the automated security system. It is unknown whether or not this is the final hull or if there will be further improvements but some speculate that the outboard sections do not have enough structural support and that there will most likely be a redesign.

ddx420
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ddx420 »

Hey, welcome to the forums dreamyr!

My first suggestion is that you look around the forums a little bit more before you post your ships - masses of aegis'd parts on ships are frowned upon, like the aegis you use on your Zeus, Athena, Heracles, and (the aptly-named) Aegis cruisers.

Generally, weapon spam is frowned upon too (i'm referring to your PD systems; try to mod your PD system on your Zeus and Achilles so that instead of masses of PD guns, you'd have three or four firing in burst mode.)

Secondly, some of the shapes for these ships are (to put it bluntly) unimaginative. I don't particularly like the look of the armor plates (if that's what they are) jutting out of the head of the Odysseus and Heracles.

Other than that, your ships are ok for a beginner; I hope you enjoy your stay on the forums.

(I'll leave the rest of the comments to vets.)
Dreamyr
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dreamyr »

ah yeah, I haven't really messed around with the stats that much before because I'm not quite sure of the values to put in compared to the original values. The most i've ever done was mess around with the values on a missile launcher so that it fired 8 missiles a clip 5 frames apart. It was a bit overkill to say the least if they made it past the enemies PD.

I suppose the Aegis IS a bit overboard on the larger ships. The Athena though I disagree. You get beside it and put a nice big broadside into it and it'll destroy most of it. The forward and aft pieces are parented to the middle pieces so if you take them out you're basically destroying one whole side of the ship. The trick is to keep from getting in front of it :wink:

As for the shapes.... well I'm not exactly the most creatively original person you'll find :oops:

Right now all of these are designs that I created as I went with no forethought whatsoever.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

hm... nothing much to say beyond that... One thing that was recently reccomended to me, and has helped at least a decent amount, is to always sketch out the shape you're going for with your ship before you actually start making that. beyond that:

compilation of almost all good shipbuilding guides

Some of Anna's (Anna, a moderator) newest ships, strongly reccomend looking at these just for ideas of what's possible, as well as ships created by the other moderators of course (Arcanedude and Arcalane)

and beyond THAT, just make sure to always take criticism well, getting angry about it won't do any good.

In any case, welcome to the BSF forums, please enjoy your stay. and the self-deprecating stuff doesn't work. trust me :lol:
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

Ugh weapon spam. Ugh. Aegis spam.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Nabaco wrote:Ugh weapon spam. Ugh. Aegis spam.
Okay, Nabaco, allow me to make this abundantly fucking clear for you, okay? If you can't offer anything more than stupid, worthless one-liners, then just don't fucking post, okay? Is that simple enough for you, or do I need to explain it with less syllables?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Anna wrote:
Nabaco wrote:Ugh weapon spam. Ugh. Aegis spam.
Okay, Nabaco, allow me to make this abundantly fucking clear for you, okay? If you can't offer anything more than stupid, worthless one-liners, then just don't fucking post, okay? Is that simple enough for you, or do I need to explain it with less syllables?
Agreed. I've seen it in my thread, several others, and now this. The line must be drawn here; no further.

Thank you.
Dreamyr
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dreamyr »

ah thanks for the links to the ship building guides lightstriker. I'd looked through a couple but I get a feeling that I'll be using them(or atleast looking through them) a lot more.

I doubt that I'll ever be able to create a ship on par with some of the stuff I've seen here but I appreciate the help. :D

And who knows? I may just surprise even myself. :P