Empyreal Fleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Empyreal Fleet

Post by lightstriker »

a couple ships, still revising most of them more or less constantly. due to my general failure at making larger ships (understatement. big one) I'm trying to slowly work my way up to them. we'll see...

I'll put up downloads once the ships are armed/ balanced/ have finalized designs

broadside frigate (might have to be converted, as my Broadside ai is being...difficult...)

DB-Frigate

AF-Frigate

Fighter (done pending comments)

battle drone

drone bomber.

right click and save as

and an encounter (made w/ AD's permission) demonstrating the drones. Please ignore the support ships, those were mainly tests for the lasers (which look pretty good if I say so myself :D)

Please note that I am aware that the coloring is not particularly good on the drones, and the piecework is not perfect. these ships are ~1 ship maker box across, so in game you really can't tell. at all. Honestly, it looks like a green/ blue thing with black stuff around it.

I'll post more as I make/ finish it.
Last edited by lightstriker on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 am, edited 20 times in total.
HighComedy
Commander
Commander

Post by HighComedy »

I like this kind of nice, angular look. The shading, though, looks a bit half-hearted. Are they meant to represent anything or is it just general outlining?
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

yeah, coloring has never really been my strong suit. Glad you like the look, however i don't really understand what you mean with the 2nd half of your last sentence, would you mind editing in clarification? thank you very much.

drone bomber up.
Last edited by lightstriker on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
HighComedy
Commander
Commander

Post by HighComedy »

I mean the green outlines on your first ship. What are they meant to be?
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

ah. just decoration, and ablatives, as otherwise one lucky shot can pierce the core. The engine one's i'm going to make all Glowy once I do the modules/ doodads/ weapons.

thanks.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

alright, sorry for the double post, but i didn't really want to put this into the main yet as I'ts even more of a wip than the rest.

the main problems i am currently aware of and trying to fix are the 25's on the nose, and i am trying to come up with a way to generate more visual interest along the sides (perhaps tweak the wings, etc) Any suggestions for these would be very much appreciated.

As well, please note that the main post is very soon to be updated with a demo encounter of the drones, and the assault drone.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

I like the green lines toward the back. The black/white color scheme looks kind of bland to me though. Overall, pretty nice ships.(sorry, I'm not too good at specific critisization)
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

The style is OK, but the execution is a bit iffy. I'd say work on the shading, darker sections in the middle, lighter on the outside (or vice versa) rather than different shades all around the ship. It should make it seem much less cluttered on the whole.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

so, something more like this perhaps?

Image (using the last one as an example)

edit: alright, my numerous supporters in the IRC (re: one bored guy) thought that this one was preferable, so I'll work on this one. if anyone disagrees, please comment. or if you don't. honestly, no problem either way.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

The green should be present in more areas in the design i think. The two green stripes are not enough. Other than that i think the design is good.

Just some thoughts.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

hm... alright. i might use some more in a couple of areas (possibly for ablatives?). Do the doodads deal with that problem however?

glad you like them besides that.

possibly finished version:

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

looks much better like that. you might want to consider some more green going front to back near the center of the ship
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

I suggest adding a green section or two, don't just use doodads as a way to add color.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

just a quick attempt to add more green. better? worse? still needs more?

as well, please note i updated the AF-Frigate in the main post. I'm prolly going to do some on the fighter and a bit more on the AF-Frigate in a bit.

oh, and sorry for the epic post spam, I'll try to work on that.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

I say bring the green sections closer into the body. It should be pretty good after that.