My failure at a genuine supership

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Chuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

My failure at a genuine supership

Post by Chuck »

Well here it is..... I gave up 4/5 the way through and finally admitted defeat to a ship of this size......... an asymmetrical ship like this cannot be done. There is just too few pieces to create a ship without it looking like a spammy mess.... here is the end result (also colours are terrible, but like i said no custom pallete = same colours over and over.

As you can see, towards start of the ship, i just spammed sections as i gave up.... My colouring is horrible, and i can see no way how to fill in the "space" between the major compartments

This was its fighter

And corvette....

Ill probably start with a smaller more detailed fleet this time :(
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

An asymmetrical ship of that size could be done, someone here could probably make one with no problem. It's good for a try, even though you stopped at it.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
Chuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Chuck »

Spoot Knight wrote:An asymmetrical ship of that size could be done, someone here could probably make one with no problem. It's good for a try, even though you stopped at it.
Yeah it could be done... I just find it to be such an extremely long process
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

It is a difficult process. I find it takes me several days or even a few weeks to make a titan because I keep redesigning it in my mind or getting stuck and having to take a break. Don't try to do it all at once. Maybe ask Seraph for some advice, him and spoot are the ones who consistently make ships that big.

Still, a few interesting parts like the sensor domes on the sides, but you could seriously do better for the engines and a few other parts if you look around more. I like how you gave it fighters though, and asymmetry is always good.
Chuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Chuck »

jwa8402 wrote:It is a difficult process. I find it takes me several days or even a few weeks to make a titan because I keep redesigning it in my mind or getting stuck and having to take a break. Don't try to do it all at once. Maybe ask Seraph for some advice, him and spoot are the ones who consistently make ships that big.

Still, a few interesting parts like the sensor domes on the sides, but you could seriously do better for the engines and a few other parts if you look around more. I like how you gave it fighters though, and asymmetry is always good.
yeah thats exactly my problem, i get an idea and quickly make the outline shape of it, then get stuck making random segments inside of it
Dagger
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dagger »

Sorry to hear about this chuck. Like jwa said, don't give up.. it takes a few days if not weeks, redesign it in your mins and retry. On the up side, I really like the look of the Fighter and the Corvette. I think those are really awesome ships. The Fighter subtly remind me of a Hestia/Hestia Alpha, and the Corvette is just plain mean looking. Very nicely done. The only thing I think corvette could use improvement in, is may be more work on balancing the front and back parts to be a part of the same look. Though both sections look good, it just seems like they are parts of two ships.. that's just my opinion though.
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

Have you looked at my Fourth Revision SI Crusader? I had a hell of a hard time getting that thing put together and now I'm making ANOTHER supership, possibly the same length, and I'm stumped at what I should put in it before I arm it and add other details and stuff. I could say myself that I'm pretty decent at making ships, but I'm not good enough to be very proficent at making them look OMGWTFPWN like Seraph does.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
Chuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Chuck »

Thank for the feedback everyone. Im trying again on a ship, working from the inside out, not going onto the next segment till im perfectly satisfied. Wish me luck
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Try doing a sketch of it on paper beforehand, then you can get the basic shape down without actually making anything.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

If I had to tell you a part of it to keep and maybe use in another ship, it'd be the engines. Give the orange an orange aegis glow and you have pretty thrusters.
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I second TormakSaber, those engines are great. there just like my engines, but you did them twice as good.

overall, I think the ship looks OK, it's just that the inside needs some more care, and probably custom colors, then It would probably be OK.

give it more time, the biggest thing it lacks now is depth.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy