Triple Advance Fleet pack + some bonus ships too

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Which is your favourite fleet?

1: Talion Crusade
No votes
2: Hiss Neubla guards
33%
3: Lupin bloodmoon
67%

Total votes: 3

D00D!
Commander
Commander

Triple Advance Fleet pack + some bonus ships too

Post by D00D! »

Hi guys, its been a month since I last posted my ships here. 8) Don't worry, I've been updateing my fleets since the last upload and here they are! :P I'm still short of time here so I can't post any big screenshots of my entire fleet. :( Hopefully somone out there will be kind enough to do it for me.... (Rises flame shield) :oops: Still, if I get bashed for it, that's too bad for me. :roll:

The first of the three fleets are the Hiss Neubla Guards:

Here's their main destroyer, the 'Fang' compared to the old destroyer 'Diamondback'. My look how much they have grown! :P

Hiss Neubla Guards Part 1:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Part_1.zip

Hiss Neubla Guards Part 2:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Part_2.zip

Hiss Neubla Guards Part 3:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Part_3.zip

Next in line is the Talion Crusade Fleet! (My personal favourite) :D

Their heavy destroyer, the 'Seraph'

Talion Crusade part 1:

Talion Crusade part 2:

Talion Crusade part 3:

Finally the Lupin Bloodmoon Fleet

Here's their Heavy Missles ship, the 'Baldur'

Lupin Bloodmoon part 1:

Lupin Bloodmoon part 2:

Lupin Bloodmoon part 3:

And for the fun of it, a SECREAT SHIP! (That means no downloads)

Phantom Ship

FunFacts:

The three fleets total 10mb in size

Each fleet has one very distinct style from each other. Can you guess what it is?

The wholefleet took 1 month to finish, 1 month which could have been spent studying. So here comes the inevitable cry of anguish "OMG!!!! 14 DAYS LEFT TO PRELIM! 74 DAYS LEFT TO O-LEVEL"

Favourite fleet:
Talion Crusade

Least favourite Fleet:
Lupin bloodmoon (What!? Only blasters, pulse and missles to work with?)

No ubershipz, testing the limits of the shipbuilder will be long time before anything major comes again

And with that I shall bid my farewell, it will be a long time before I return...
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

The largest transforming mecha EVAR!
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

Dude..

two of your ships are very repetitive, and i'm sure the phantom has parenting problems.

By repetitive i mean two of them have A LOT of one section.

But i think most of them(except the phantom, for obvious reasons)
have great shape, and that can be fixed by using different/grouped sections for the same effect.

Most notably the Seraph and Baldur
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

Magick wrote:Dude..

two of your ships are very repetitive, and i'm sure the phantom has parenting problems.

have great shape, and that can be fixed by using different/grouped sections for the same effect.

Parenting problems? Err, I haven't encounter any of it in my playthrough. Here take a look at it in the Shipbuilder:

Anyway regarding the comments on using the too many of one section:

For the Seraph:
I'm a sucker for details but I wanted to try and see if I could achieve diffrent effects using the same type of sections. More specifically, I'm trying to achieve rounded and more feminie shapes for the Seraph yet at the same time express more detail with each sections. Gueses I have to try harder huh?. I'll see if I can tweak it around a little but I think its fine as it is. Besides, I'm more concerned with the aegised 'Wings', somehow, they are blocking shots as if they are three times their size. o_0

For the Baldur:
I think I can understand why you think I used the same parts. The entire ships is covered with Blue-spikey armor. But without it, the ships itself would look like floating skeletons. So thats something I have to fix, I'm looking for a solution to make my armor look more sophesticated but without sacraficing any of its 'spikeyness'
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

D00D! wrote:
Magick wrote:Dude..

Parenting problems? Err, I haven't encounter any of it in my playthrough. Here take a look at it in the Shipbuilder:

Anyway regarding the comments on using the too many of one section:

For the Seraph:
I'm a sucker for details but I wanted to try and see if I could achieve diffrent effects using the same type of sections. More specifically, I'm trying to achieve rounded and more feminie shapes for the Seraph yet at the same time express more detail with each sections. Gueses I have to try harder huh?. I'll see if I can tweak it around a little but I think its fine as it is. Besides, I'm more concerned with the aegised 'Wings', somehow, they are blocking shots as if they are three times their size. o_0

For the Baldur:
I think I can understand why you think I used the same parts. The entire ships is covered with Blue-spikey armor. But without it, the ships itself would look like floating skeletons. So thats something I have to fix, I'm looking for a solution to make my armor look more sophesticated but without sacraficing any of its 'spikeyness'
@Baldur comment: use different groups of sections to make it look unique AND spiky.
xphoenix87
Commander
Commander

Re: Triple Advance Fleet pack + some bonus ships too

Post by xphoenix87 »

D00D! wrote:
Their heavy destroyer, the 'Seraph'
yikes. What did section 21 do to you to deserve such abuse?

Seriously, section spam is definitely the biggest problem with these ships. In all the ships in these pictures, one piece is used extremely heavily, and then just a few other pieces thrown in to fill it in. Mix it up a bit, find better ways to build a ship than with just one piece (at least you're not abusing section 22 though, cause that's just butt-ugly). The best advice I can give you is to look at how the better ship builders do things and take some tips from them. I'm not saying to copy them, just look at the ships and see the elements that make good ships so visually appealing.
Last edited by xphoenix87 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=indigo][size=184]The Do'Rylus Armada[/size][/color][/b]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2501][img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/xphoenix87/BFscreen0107-1-2-1.jpg[/img][/url]
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

:roll: You do know that it didn't take me 1 month just to make 4 ships right? Pls comment on the whole fleet instead of a single ship.
Currently working on:

xphoenix87
Commander
Commander

Post by xphoenix87 »

1) If you want comments and criticism, post pictures. Most people won't want to download 3 zip files worth of ships for each fleet just to give you criticism.

2) Show me something in the picture that makes me think there's any hope for the other ships, and then maybe I'll download them and take a look at them. As is, your "personal favorite" is a monstrosity that uses almost all one section and has too much aegis. When all the ships I see have the same problem (namely, piece overuse), why would I want to go look at the rest of them?

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2501][img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/xphoenix87/BFscreen0107-1-2-1.jpg[/img][/url]
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

Also, floating section groups are hated by the community*points at seraph*

I think Anna would hate you for making an ugly ship with part of his name in it -_-
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

xphoenix87 wrote:1) If you want comments and criticism, post pictures. Most people won't want to download 3 zip files worth of ships for each fleet just to give you criticism.

2) Show me something in the picture that makes me think there's any hope for the other ships, and then maybe I'll download them and take a look at them. As is, your "personal favorite" is a monstrosity that uses almost all one section and has too much aegis. When all the ships I see have the same problem (namely, piece overuse), why would I want to go look at the rest of them?
Suit yourself really, just don't poll if you haven't seen all the ships. It gives you a mis-informed(Is there such a word?) opinon and me inaccurate feedback.

I'm going to make this very clear to you (and everyone else). I do not see how using the parts as Spam. I'm serious, this not some smartass retort or hateful reply, just a statment of ignorance. I looked at the guide and seen other good ships but I fail to see how I have overused the parts in a bad way. Sure I may not have used a massive variety but so long as it looks good, its fine by me.

To make it more clear, I shall present my arguments with the following points:

1: Its not spammed. I altered its size, change their colour, overlap and other methods on the parts. Its not blind tesselation, there is organization in it.

2: I wish to keep the style of each race intact. It helps when you restrict yourself to using only certain parts (that come togather well) in making each fleet unique

3: Only certain part go well togather, not all of them can be mashed up into single lumps. I wish to make my ships as detailed as possible without losing a sense of order with them. So plainly speaking, I don't want to decorate my ships with christmas babules for the sake of variety.

4: Finally, I build my ships with a specific shape in mind. I don't wish to contrast too badly with this ship when I select the parts of my ship. I mean , if you want to make a 'round' ship, you would't use the square parts would you?

5:It may be my inexperience but I cannot find a way to build my ships with a wide variety of parts (some of them comes as too rigid or do not go well in masses) well . Certainly it would help if someone re-made my ships with more type of parts. Think of it as a diagram, it makes it alot easier to teach me about part-spam. Besides, if I can learn, then everyone remain happy and its a win-win situation right?

Oh and about the Aegis, they're there as asthetics. Its like thrusters, just that its in the shape of a wing. They serve no function and are extremely vulerable. (Though there seems to be a glitch where they can take bullets as if three times their size)

Finally regarding the floaty bits. Don't worry, its acceptable when they are aegised to the main ship. It makes them looks like pods which are linked by a powercable to the ship.

Its been a pleasure but I must really go back to my studies now.
Currently working on:

Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

@Mis-Informed

Noes. Just like noes is not a word. It's Misguided.
DeathsHand
Captain
Captain

Post by DeathsHand »

The Fang. Finally, purple done right! :D

I also greatly like the Baldur. May have a tad too many spiky sections, but just my opinion.

The Seraph may use many section 21's, but it doesn't look THAT bad. I'd say a better picture of it is needed, the sandbox text really detracts from the current one. As well, before a download is done, how are the weapons(details)?
S͜͟t̷̀̀͟i̷͢ļ̸̕͞l̸̶͞ ̷̢͘͟l̡͟͝u̴̵̸͜͢r̴̸̨k͏͟į̨͜n̛g̸͢͝
xphoenix87
Commander
Commander

Post by xphoenix87 »

alright, because I'm a nice guy and, apparently, have nothing better to do, I'll take a look at all the ships. Here are my thoughts on the Hiss Nebula.

Anata - Again, way too much section 21. The general shape of the ship isn't terrible, but because you insist on not combining those 21s with other pieces, the end result looks terrible. There's no cohesiveness on the interior. There's no impression of depth. There are also too many small gaps in the hull. The overstretched drivers really don't look good. The tachyon/plasma cannons are cool looking though, but you need to be consistent with them. On one the plasma is stacked on top of the big pulsar, and on the other it is reversed, stay consistent. You should add the aegis to the engines after you add the thrusters. The aegis will cover up the ugly thruster module.

Black Cobra - There are quite a few mirroring errors here. Depth errors, a doubled-up main gun, pieces being off by a few pixels. You should stack aegis modules on top of each other, especially on a small ship like this. As is, the hull is way too crowded with weapons and modules.

Black Viper - I think there's too much empty space in the middle, but that's about it. This one is fairly basic.

Boa - uhm...yuck. The focal point of the ship is a massively stretched pulsar. That's hideous. It looks fairly cool while firing, but it's not good while just sitting there. If you shrink the pulsar widthwise, stretch it out more vertically, and up the clip size (I upped it to 70), you can achieve a similar effect, but it gives you a near invisible weapon that you can then hide underneath the aegis (pictures to demonstrate below). You'll also want to center the pulsar, it is significantly off-center. Also, why is there only aegis on the first two sets of pink sections, and not on the last one?

(firing)
(note the tiny pulsar)

Conda - mirroring error on the engine. Not a great ship, but not awful either.

Constrictor - not a bad ship, really. I think the middle part should be the same on all sides, so it can be symmetrical on both axes (though it's not bad this way). You have another doubled engine due to mirroring.

Fang - Mostly, the same complaints I've had for everything else. Interior is jumbled (badly), too many small gaps in the hull, thruster modules should be under aegis, overcrowded hull.

Gorgon - No...just no. There's no conceivable reason why that external ring should be all sec 21s. It's just lazy, and it looks terrible. The booster modules look bad since they can't be rotated. If you want to use them, you should probably stack them in the middle. The section 24s on the end of each arm are slanted wrong, and it's very noticeable. You have mirroring issues and some depth issues.

Jorumgard - every other complaint I've had about your ships exists here (namely, terrible interiors and weapon/module spam obscuring the hull). However, you've then compounded the problem by using RIDICULOUSLY stretched sections. Look, if you can't see what is wrong with that then I can't help you. The blurry lines, the loss of detail...ugh. Don't stretch pieces like that...ever. In fact, as a general rule, especially if you're newer at this, is don't ever stretch pieces, use combinations of sections to get the shape you want. It's more detailed and looks way better. This ship is just...not good.

Naga - some of the problems I've addressed already exist here, and they should be easy to spot, but on the whole this is much better than most of your other ships. I think you could do a bit better job coloring it to give it a sense of depth, but the section usage and weapon placement is much better here.

Most of these ships have the same problems I've been mentioning above, and I'm running out of time, so I'll go through the next group quickly.

Orochi - We have a word for ships like these. We call them "penisbricks". Penisbricks are not pretty. This thing is too blocky, too long, and just all-in-all pretty ugly.

Quetzalcoatl - Look, it's the Boa, just...bigger. Is the bigger Boa better? Not really. Same comment as with the Boa, fix the gigantic, ugly pulsar.

Ragnarok - I think it needs a bit more section 21.

Raja Naga - Better. Still overuses section 21 in areas where it really shouldn't be used, but better. Hull isn't as cluttered as many of your other ships.

Selathin - I don't even know what to make of this thing. It's very...odd. The design has promise though

Slither - Too much clutter. Somewhat better section usage though. Not a bad overall shape.
Last edited by xphoenix87 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

DeathsHand wrote:The Fang. Finally, purple done right! with too many of one section:(

I also greatly like the Baldur. May have a tad too many spiky sections, but just my opinion.
Can you not see the tiling?

The Seraph may use many section 21's, but it doesn't look THAT bad. I'd say a better picture of it is needed, the sandbox text really detracts from the current one. As well, before a download is done, how are the weapons(details)?

I think it does with all those tiled sections.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Even though the overall shape, weapon and module placement is pretty, the use of one section that comprises almost 80% of some of your ships is a problem.

1. You are forced to build the entire ship to conform or abide to the section's shape, this imposing on yourself a limit that manifests clearly on your creations.

2. Despite the various sizes/rotations/stretches, the use of section cannot hide the repetition/tiling, thus ruins the 'texture' of the ship via lack of variety both internal and (to a lesser extent) externally.

For the most part, your ships are not horrible save for one or two stray flaws that find their way on a handful of ships, but I am willing to bet that you can step up your game if you consider having other sections contribute MORE to the volume of your designs while simultaneously relieving section 21 of its current 'building block of choice' position.
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

A couple of them remind me of my early ships. :| Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing.