Project Archangel

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Project Archangel

Post by ChaosTheory »

Dammit, people, POST SOMETHING. CRITIQUE IT. HATE ON IT. SOMETHING!!!

Ahem.

I proudly give you the beginnings of the Archangel. So far it merely involves some nice (very nice, in my opinion) wings and a crystal center (an upgrade for the fugly Glowy-Aegis-Core thing I never liked). The complete ship will be a better version of something that tends to be done by n00bs, and done very badly. It is also a remake of a ship I did almost 6 months ago, which for some strange reason, looked pretty awesome. I will now attempt to make it even more awesome, and possibly enter it into BP4 if it ever rolls around.

And so, in my ever-increasing attempts to make massive repetition and stretching look damn good, the Archangel:

Some things I'd like to know, if you need help getting up the motivation to post:

1) How is the crystal? Is it awesome enough?

2) How are the wings? Are they feathery enough? Is the angle right? How are the wingtips?

3) The wing struts . . . I don't really like them. Too blocky. Any suggestions?

4) Is the stretching in any way fugly?
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Ninteen45
Commander
Commander

Post by Ninteen45 »

The last bits on the end look shit, but the rest is amazing.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Awww... Its so cute. I like the dome. It really looks 3d.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

1. Shinnnnyyyyy
2. They look good, very good. The only area that i actually have any problems with is the area (starting about 1/2-2/3 way up) where it feels (to me at least) like there is too much room in between one "feather" and the next.
3. I agree, but i got nothing... Sorry. Wait, never mind. I do have an idea. It's stupid, but it might inspire you (pshhh). Anyhoo, perhaps you could try and "duplicate" the bottom part of the wing into the middle of it, and have the two wings slowly get closer together till they merge? just an idea, and would leave you w/o the (admittadly blocky) center.
4. The thought of calling this ship fugly makes me want to hurt myself.
No. No it's not.

oh, and i take pride in doing whatever it is that noobs do badly.
Last edited by lightstriker on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

I'm going to have to label this epically 3D. No real criticisms yet, since you're still adding to it...
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Reviews so far seem positive.

I don't really want to add another wing layer, but I was looking at some bird wings and noticed the joint was kinda rounded . . . I'm going to try replacing the square with some rounder shapes.

The feather spacing: Thanks. I'll fix that.

Does anyone have some links to older, good feather ships (ie, anything but that aegis-whore flamingo derekiv entered into BP2)? I know Anna did some in his first thread, and those are at the top of the Ship Archive.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Ai_512
Commander
Commander

Post by Ai_512 »

The bottom two threads in the archive have winged ships.

The ship itself certainly looks angelic.
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/NerdofChaos/Ai541.png[/img]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61047#61047]Ai's Ships 'n Fleets[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2664]My New Fleet[/url]
Piecewise66
BANNED

Post by Piecewise66 »

let me play elitist ship builder here before a real one says it

BAAAAAAW REPETITION AND STRETCHING BAWWWWWW

looks good to me
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

ChaosTheory wrote: Does anyone have some links to older, good feather ships (ie, anything but that aegis-whore flamingo derekiv entered into BP2)?
Dang, I thought everyone had forgotten that. But the line is sig worthy.

Oh, and nice ship.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Piecewise66 wrote:let me play elitist ship builder here before a real one says it

looks good to me

The angling and arrangement used in conjunction with repetition and stretching to achieve the feathered-wing look is a proper, excellent example of proper use of repetition and stretching. Neither technique was taken to excess amounts, and the overall effect is pleasing.

...ah who am I kidding, THIS SHIP FAILS REPETITION AND STRETCHING JESUS CHRIST WINGED SHIPS HOW UNORIGINAL.

P.S. Keep up the good work, lets see where you take this.
BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF
Commander
Commander

Post by BlkRdgPharmPRSTAFF »

Piecewise66 wrote:let me play elitist ship builder here before a real one says it

looks good to me
No self respecting ship builder is going to say this looks bad, because it doesn't.

It's a perfect example of repetition done right. Stretching is also tastefully done and there are no extremely stretched parts, though the final tier on the tip of the ship looks kind of excessive, as you start to get trouble with resized pixels around that level of stretch. Also make some rear detail would be nice, as I think it would complete the whole look.
Improving quality of life since 1955.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Fuck.

Fuck.

That crystal is made of pure extracted win from the several internets you've won. I don't even wanna know how you did it.

The rest of the ship is coming up nicely too. I like the wings, but I might just be a wingman (no pun intended).

Whatever you do, please no pics of it exploding. It will rape and savagely murder the little bit of innocence left inside me.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

T-002 wrote: Whatever you do, please no pics of it exploding. It will rape and savagely murder the little bit of innocence left inside me.
doo it... doooo it...
umm... i mean, that would be a shame, wouldn't it?
Gonna have to agree here though, that crystal is pure (oh-so-shiny) win.
I actually believe i'm experiencing my first love.
annnd i just discovered how depressing that statement is...
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

I honestly don't see what's so special abotu the core, it looks normal to me. I accually don't like it.

The wings are nice, but personally I just don't like wings.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

kill joy
edit: no. I can tell you're not one of those people. however, if you'd read the posts, you'd realise that by and large people were complimenting the parts they liked, and saying what they didn't, and (for the most part) not just blandly raving about it. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't get huffy when someone makes a joke...
Last edited by lightstriker on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.