Mines

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Malahite
Captain
Captain

Mines

Post by Malahite »

Anyone got any good mine designs? Here's mine - the phaser mine

weapon|MegaBeam|180|-1|1|7200|250|-1|150|15|25||16711808|25|20|-1|-1|-1|-1|1|1

An Aggressor battleship, hit by several phaser mines

It's basically a weapon platform core, with a mega beam that has a small range, large damage, singe clip size, 7200 reload time, 20 'burst', and 180 arc range. The 'ship' has large speed, medium acceleration, and zero turning.

I tried setting the AI to Kamikaze, but all through when controlled by the player everything works fine, when the AI takes control I et an error from each mine ;/
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

That's because Kamikaze AI suicides when it's core touches the target's selection circle. Just use normal AI with a low AI range. It throws up errors because the ship has turrets - I believe they (AI ships) may automatically go into kamikaze mode if they have no turrets and modules left.
Last edited by Arcalane on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Arcalane wrote:That's because Kamikaze AI suicides when it's core touches the target's selection circle. Just use normal AI with a low AI range.
That's why I did, AI range 100, but that way it happenes that these mines survive >.>
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

You can make a mine by overlapping a lot of sections, without weapons and with extreme HP and set the AI to kamikaze.

I think in that case when the ship explodes the high HP debris causes a lot of damage.

The visual is equally stunning. No beam effect though.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Indeed. I've experimented with standard KKW-styled mines before. They're brutally effective against stock ships (due to their much slower part movement compared to KKWs) but aren't as dangerous to customs.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

AnnihilatorX wrote:You can make a mine by overlapping a lot of sections, without weapons and with extreme HP and set the AI to kamikaze.

I think in that case when the ship explodes the high HP debris causes a lot of damage.

The visual is equally stunning. No beam effect though.
Seconded. The fragmentation mines of the United Fleet are usually just sent in as a last-resort measure, due to the excessive amount of shrapnel flying around. Beautiful, but terrifying.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Arcalane wrote:Indeed. I've experimented with standard KKW-styled mines before. They're brutally effective against stock ships (due to their much slower part movement compared to KKWs) but aren't as dangerous to customs.
Mind providing some example stats? I'd like to make some mines of my own.
Anty
Commander
Commander

Post by Anty »

I once made a dieterling mine, it does nothing until you get into range, then it jumps on you and explodes, the explosive parts are high hp but parented to the circle part so it can be blown up but still does heavy damage. still its odd I get an error often when it explodes :? btw the exploding parts are hidden

in shipmaker

exploding vs custom dreadnought (5000 hp or something like that)

after explosion

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Now that is decent work!
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Kamikaze AI, I presume?

Nice work. :P
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Of course, you can make different types of mines; ones which are layed by ships themselves.

Just take a missile launcher, plasma charge, or projectile weapon of your choice, and give it 0 projectile speed (actually, I think 0 gives errors, try something small, like 0.000001), and then unlimited range, and maybe resize the weapon depending on what you want the mine to look like.

And you're done.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Lizzie wrote:
Arcalane wrote:Indeed. I've experimented with standard KKW-styled mines before. They're brutally effective against stock ships (due to their much slower part movement compared to KKWs) but aren't as dangerous to customs.
Mind providing some example stats? I'd like to make some mines of my own.
In classic KKW style, I used a lot of small densely-packed shards (using one of the small /| shaped pieces sized to be a bit shorter and a decent bit thinner), based around the weapon platform core, spread to cover all angles. The entire thing had high HP and the shards were in the couple-thousand range.

The smallest, a micromine, was about the size of a Patrol Craft, and could easily put any stock battleship out of commission for a hell of a long time. The big brother (the shattermine) used the same core, but four of the L-shapes to provide more physical surface, allowing for more shards. It was roughly the size of a Destroyer and would no doubt also cripple a battleship - or even kill.

Neither were particularly effective against PTs or destroyers, which could dodge the slow-moving frags. However, any caught and hit would almost certainly be totally annihilated.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
DeathsHand
Captain
Captain

Post by DeathsHand »

Anarki wrote:Of course, you can make different types of mines; ones which are layed by ships themselves.

Just take a missile launcher, plasma charge, or projectile weapon of your choice, and give it 0 projectile speed (actually, I think 0 gives errors, try something small, like 0.000001), and then unlimited range, and maybe resize the weapon depending on what you want the mine to look like.

And you're done.
Seems that it would be useless against a ship with interceptors. Would giving it a low interceptability percentage correct this?
S͜͟t̷̀̀͟i̷͢ļ̸̕͞l̸̶͞ ̷̢͘͟l̡͟͝u̴̵̸͜͢r̴̸̨k͏͟į̨͜n̛g̸͢͝
Zancloufer
Commander
Commander

Post by Zancloufer »

DeathsHand wrote:
Anarki wrote:Of course, you can make different types of mines; ones which are layed by ships themselves.

And you're done.
Seems that it would be useless against a ship with interceptors. Would giving it a low interceptability percentage correct this?
Or you could use Plasma ones with a Explosion of like 200. That way if you detonate them too close, you still get hurt.