Western Alliance Ship Designs (Minotaur-class 2/24)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

BlueSoul
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Western Alliance Ship Designs (Minotaur-class 2/24)

Post by BlueSoul »

So far just one ship, just got this yesterday and have been toying with custom weapon stats and ship designs between working non-stop for a grand-opening event. Anyway!

The Sanctuary systems are a small group of planets and systems under the protective wing of the Western Alliance. Two core corporations handle a lot of the design aspects for the actual military deployment. Sanctuary Unlimited is the smaller of the two, hailing more from the core system of the Sanctuary cluster. Arkival Munitions tends to handle most of everywhere else, though joint projects between the two are not uncommon. They don't consider each other rivals and military contracts are shared between the two for the betterment of the systems they serve.

The first offering currently is the Weasel-class vessel. It sports superior defenses against certain weaponry, a glaring weakness, and weaponry with custom statistics. It moves fast but turns slowly, giving ships with more accurate firepower a chance to take advantage of the vessel's open front and rear. It's closer to a frigate than a destroyer, despite the size, due to its speed and light armament.

Armament
2x Light Railgun
3-shot bursts every 2.5 seconds at reduced damage (20). They offer light penetration to surgically strike critical systems and weapons but have reduced range over the larger variants. Their small firing arc coupled with the ship's slow turn speed makes the open core construction of the ship a liability.

1x Rocket Pod
Fires five reduced damage (15) rockets every 2.5 seconds in a somewhat rapid launch pattern. Their tracking arc is low-powered and PDS eats them alive.

2x Aegis Defenses
They power (as shown) a pair of outer 'wings' making inaccurate burst-fire weapons such as blasters and pulser-types nearly useless. Accurate weapons like beamers and other railguns can easily penetrate the ship's front or rear and deliver a rapid killing blow or simply de-claw the Weasel.

The second offering from Arkival Munitions is the Minotaur-class light-support vessel. It features two of the primary Arkival design features, that being the twin railguns as well as mandibular Aegis generators. It lacks major firepower as a support vessel but its extra features make it invaluable in much larger engagements where it can take up the sideline role its meant for.

Armament
2x Standard Railguns
Forward-firing twin-mounted railguns offer superior forward firepower with high accuracy for long-range engavements.

4x Sidewinder
These flank-mounted curve-cannons fulfill a dual role. For close-range encounters with smaller vessels, the barrage of arced fire creates a deadly field of energy to navigate through. In battles against larger vessels, they act as decoy launchers to overload point-defense systems so larger vessels' heavier cannon offerings can break through unharassed.

2x Flak Cannon
Simple forward-mounted point defense to aid in defending the ship's vulnerable cannon wells.

1x Demeter Launcher
fulfills the same dual purpose as the sidewinders--unmanned fighters offer minor damage output against smaller craft as well as assisting in overloading PD systems with the wily craft.

2x Aegis Defense Fields
A veritable trademark of AM's ship designs, the twin shield generators deflect scattered forward fire as well as fire (such as Sidewinders and Weasel Guns) designed to bypass front defenses. Coupled with the pair of flak cannons, these provide excellent defenses for a ship this size.
Last edited by BlueSoul on Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What, then, is your role in Our grand design?
Auriak
Captain
Captain

Post by Auriak »

Not a bad ship, but may I suggest making more before you post a thread. The design of the ship looks pretty cool, and I for one would like to see where else that could go. Good building :D .
"Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them"
Auriak Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1654
Mystar Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448
BlueSoul
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by BlueSoul »

Yeah, I figured.. but I'd been happy with working out the kinks in the weaponry and this weekend has been crazy. ^^ One more day and I can get these concepts out and actually working. Thanks for the support!
gompasta
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by gompasta »

no aegis and weapons:missile too stubby and railguns too thin and other than that its a good ship
Im back :)
Laguz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laguz »

not bad, i like the design, but im just not a fan of aegis.
I am Legion.
I am all.
I am you.
You are Legion.
Arona Daal
Commander
Commander

Post by Arona Daal »

I like the stubby missile, but I agree that the railguns are ugly. The aegis is actually a pretty good idea though, considering that the hp of the ship is low enough.
[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/Herumtreiber/Sprites/BeachwithTurtle.jpg[/img] by Me.
BlueSoul
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by BlueSoul »

I need to rework the Weasel-class a bit anyway. I like the stubby rocket launcher but the elongated railguns do need some work. There aren't many other options for long-barreled cannons. Mashing and distorting guns just kind of messes them up, even if you do somehow achieve the desired effect.

And I don't see anything wrong with the Aegis, being that the ship doesn't have them all over the place. The generators are in the back near the core, and the open nature of the designs gives them a glaring weakness as it is. careful maneuvering and support gives them unique handling instead of a 'shields up' approach.

As for the Minotaur, it got manhandled by the Hesperos in a 1 on 1. Good, accurate weapons that can go straight in are the bane of the Arkival designs.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Build more ships...build more ships...

:D I guess your ships are fine and looking good for a newbie.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
BlueSoul
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by BlueSoul »

Currently on hold, unfortunately, working on completely different designs for the tournament. Tournament rules for ship design are useful building blocks I've found.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

the new ship is awesome
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

I am totally digging the purple.
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Hmmm, I love the stubby launcher (I used 'em in my own designs too before, they look like mines if you ask me ;3)
The railguns... Maybe a bit liss pointed, but otherwise likable. Also, for Aegis, that must be one of the best usage I've seen in a long time (I'm a lurker), sooo, yeah, nothing instantly memorable, but with more ships, this'll become a very pwetty fleet.