Sovereign vs. Sovereign [Long Post!]

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Sovereign vs. Sovereign [Long Post!]

Post by Arcalane »

No less than... well, a lot of screenshots and patience later, the T.S.P.N Apollo and T.S.P.N Orion battle is complete. The player-controlled vessel is the Apollo, in grey with blue highlights. The deep-red computer-controlled Orion is it's foe. Two Sovereign-class Super Dreadnaughts pitched in head to head combat in the ultimate showdown. This battle took roughly an hour and a half - nearer an hour and twenty minutes if one wants to be precise. The only advantages the Apollo had over the Orion were the use of it's Frosch guns and more accurate use of it's Lancet Beams.

All the images are thumbnails and link to a larger version (1024x768) for your viewing pleasure. Thanks goes to Image for hosting all the images.

The pattern is as follows;

Action description
[Picture]

So, here we go!;

And lo! Battle is joined! The Orion's shields are faster on the draw than the Apollo's, but will that save it?

Now the Orion's shields are up and the two trade gunfire like an angry couple exchanging insults in an argument.

The Orion's AI recovers from a Frosch blast, and misaligns some of it's deflectors in it's confused state.

Again, the Orion's shielding buckles. The Apollo rakes away with it's megabeams and conventional weaponry, trying to do as much damage as it can.

A pause in the stream of gunnery allows closer examination of the Orion's battle damage. Looks like it's already losing sections!

Once again the shields go down. These momentary drops have, as you can see, allowed the Apollo to make heavy use of it's Lancet Beams, damaging or destroying a significant amount of the Orion's weaponry.

Confused and panicking, the Orion once again powers up it's deflectors erratically, though it still manages to take the brunt of the Apollo's offense.

The Apollo's shields drop, not that it matters much given the Orion's lost most of it's weapons. That said, this isn't the first time the shields have gone down, and it won't be the last. The Orion is also losing more sections.

The Orion loses another section! It's not got many to go before the core at this rate!

Another pause in the gunfire allows close examination of the Orion's hull. Not looking pretty there!

With most of the Orion's weapons gone, the Apollo's railguns are already reaching the Core. The AI does -not- like this.

Not one to let a good battle be cut too short, the Apollo's captain orders all guns to focus on one of the Orion's support struts! What's he planning?

Oh. That's what he was planning. The strut gives way and so does a decent portion of the Orion's port wing plate!

Without proper structural support, debris is thrown clear by the explosion and weapons fly off into space!

And there goes the other one!

Suddenly, an unexpected chain reaction in the Orion's outer starboard engine takes out even more of the wing plate! The AI is left reeling as the damage reports pour in.

More debris is thrown off into space by the rapidly expanding gas cloud from the engine explosion.

A pause in the gunfire reveals an open passage to the core! Uh oh! Looks like it's curtains for the Orion!

The lasers zero in on the core. It's almost over!

Finally, the Orion's core ruptures, and a flash of light blinds the Apollo's optical clusters.

The optical clusters recover. It's done. All that remains of the Orion is a fast-moving shockwave and a cloud of debris.

Our view pans back to the almost entirely unscathed Apollo.

Fortunately for us, that was only a simulation. A Sovereign-class Super Dreadnaught is far too expensive to risk in a to-the-death live fire exercise. ;)
Mechman
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechman »

...clap...clap..clap. clap, clap clap clapclapclapclapCLAPCLAPCLAP-

(Que applause)
Shadow Hydra
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Shadow Hydra »

Wow. All i can say do you have enough boosters on that thing? I like the Ships and commend you on your paitence for waiting for imageshack to load so many pictures.
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

You should totally do the same thing against one of Kazuael's ships. It'd be sweet.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Shadow Hydra wrote:Wow. All i can say do you have enough boosters on that thing? I like the Ships and commend you on your paitence for waiting for imageshack to load so many pictures.
The boosters are designed to allow the existing weapons to double up, thus allowing it to compete in the firepower category of similar sized but more heavily armed ships. :)

@Bluhman; maybe once the new version is released if ship files are still compatible with it. ;)

EDIT: Phoenix down. Next stop; Hierarch! Using the same Sovereign as it only lost 1 repeater.

EDIT: Heirarch down. Screenshots obtained. Pretty nice ones too. Will upload later. Sovereign reports 0 damage.

EDIT: Codename "BIG" down. Apparently suffered catastrophic chain reaction malfunction. Screenshots acquired. Sovereign reports 0 damage.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Phoenix goes kablooie. Whoomph! Kapow! Boom! Etc.

o/` "Dere's an 'ole in moi battleship, dear lizah, dear lizah!" o/`

...Oh dear. Perhaps that hole should have been fixed sooner?

Chain reaction!

I don't think the warranty covers this kind of malfunction.
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

It looks like my ships aren't as overpowered as I thought, at least not compared to everyone else's ships. I tried to avoid slathering things in guns and modules just because it's a tad unrealistic and over the top, but I'm glad my ships are being of use to some of you, even if they are just massive flying targets.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Oh, blame Bluhman for suggesting the 'challenge'. I think they're actually really underpowered for ships of their size, save for that broadsider one, which turns too slowly to really be effective once it's broadsides are shot off. Plus their HP seems a bit low for such large vessels.

And I don't mean "underpowered" in that there are hardly any parts covered in guns, but there are definitely too few guns. Given the relative power of interceptors, it's no doubt quite easy for even a small group of stock ships to take out something like the Phoenix.
hxzero
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by hxzero »

Kaz, when you put on guns, make sure to use custom stats so that they do at least 10 times the damage, or fire at least five times as fast. That way you can maintain the realistic "look" but still be overpowered.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

On a sidenote, I found the cause of the spontaneous engine explosions in the Sovereign. Poorly constructed outer joint. :roll:

Will fix that with 3.0, I think.