My first ship. Also, insane.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

MinkOWar
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

My first ship. Also, insane.

Post by MinkOWar »

I tried out the ship builder yesterday.

As you can probably tell, I didn't know what I was doing, nor really what a monstrosity I was creating with the values I input.

So, I decided to try out both the ship, and the sandbox mode. (Linked instead of imaged to keep the post shorter, easier to read, I hope).

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3015 ... n00nt3.jpg

These ridiculous vessels, even when pitted 4 on 2 as in that last shot, cannot harm each other, let alone anything else harm them... Only by instructing ships to target the nano-repair-things first could I deal any damage against my creation.

So I figured, "Let's play with the sandbox mode!" This involved spawning regular ships, fleets, etc, all of which were brushed aside by these craft.

Then I discovered the "Spawn Meteor Shower" function. "Cool!" I said, "But 20? that's dull. Let's try 1500."

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9007 ... n02fy1.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4084 ... n03dq6.jpg

After several minutes of violent shaking, explosions, and heavy bass, the meteors dispersed enough for me to resume gameplay. This actually managed to damage two of the ships, as well!. As you can see, one lost its port side hull.

They still couldn't kill each other though, and I gave up 20 minutes later to go build some reasonable stuff (which I have not really accomplished yet, I only have a fragile [150 hp] missile boat, and a vessel covered entirely in point defense flak guns, neither of which is able to do damage to the other, either).

I do think my Uberdreadnought looks acceptable though, shape-wise. It could do with some rational weapons-loadouts and hitpoints, though.[/url]
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

erm... well, you have the megatachyon floating in space, not good, and your design is bland. Maybe not an 'uberdreadnought'... And the HP is ridiculous.
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Boba Fetuccini wrote:And the HP is ridiculous.
Unless your making a ship the size of the Harquin Baby.

Anyways, You have parenting flaws up the waszu. Don't get mad/sad because its a common mistake. Plus the reason why they failed to fight each other is because the speed/acceleration is too high.

... and 1500 Meteors! Best put on a hard hat. :wink:

BTW, I did the same when I first got BF. I LOL'ed watching some heistas get stoned to death...
Zeron
Captain
Captain

Post by Zeron »

I think he meant to squeeze it between those two parts.
Fade-in,fade-out
MinkOWar
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by MinkOWar »

Boba Fetuccini wrote:erm... well, you have the megatachyon floating in space, not good, and your design is bland. Maybe not an 'uberdreadnought'... And the HP is ridiculous.
Ha ha, the ridiculous HP and the double nano-repair-doodlies are the reason for Uberdreadnought :D

That's pretty much what I was referring to in this sentence:
MinkOWar wrote:As you can probably tell, I didn't know what I was doing, nor really what a monstrosity I was creating with the values I input.
The megatachyon is meant to be supported between the struts there, and at the back.

Bland design, is, I think the least of my worries.
TheBlueEcho wrote:
Boba Fetuccini wrote:And the HP is ridiculous.
Unless your making a ship the size of the Harquin Baby.

Anyways, You have parenting flaws up the waszu. Don't get mad/sad because its a common mistake. Plus the reason why they failed to fight each other is because the speed/acceleration is too high.

... and 1500 Meteors! Best put on a hard hat. :wink:

BTW, I did the same when I first got BF. I LOL'ed watching some heistas get stoned to death...
I wonder how many meteors I can manage before crashing it?

They didn't fail to fight each other though. They just can't deal enough damage while they sit there blasting away at each other to do anything.

I see what you mean about parenting... the "wings" are linked to the triangular prow, I must have forgotten to go back and start from the core again... The rest, I think, is all attached to the right parent piece though, isn't it? i.e., take off the base of the "wing" and the rest of it goes with it.
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

MinkOWar wrote:The megatachyon is meant to be supported between the struts there, and at the back.
Yes, but its bad parenting. If those support struts are blown, the gun will just be floating because its parented to the core ;)
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

TheBlueEcho wrote:You have parenting flaws up the waszu.
Not really. Apart from the issue with the wing parts being connected to the nose, as far as I can tell, the parenting is perfectly acceptable. :)

Well, that and some odd parenting on the aegises by the looks of it.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Talhydras
Commander
Commander

Post by Talhydras »

I think it's pretty. Expansive ships like that are a lot of fun, and I like the aegis'd rear. I can see an entire fleet of ships that rotate their butts towards the enemy, Spathi style...
Milgwyn
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Milgwyn »

Y'know, that doesn't make much sense to me. Why aegis on the front and weapons in the back? Mink, did you know you can rotate the weapon sprites? Just be careful because some don't rotate on a pivot in their center - it can be off by a little.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Milgwyn wrote:Y'know, that doesn't make much sense to me. Why aegis on the front and weapons in the back? Mink, did you know you can rotate the weapon sprites? Just be careful because some don't rotate on a pivot in their center - it can be off by a little.
I would assume he does, seeing as the Flaks on the outer edges all face outwards.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
MinkOWar
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by MinkOWar »

Arcalane wrote:
Milgwyn wrote:Y'know, that doesn't make much sense to me. Why aegis on the front and weapons in the back? Mink, did you know you can rotate the weapon sprites? Just be careful because some don't rotate on a pivot in their center - it can be off by a little.
I would assume he does, seeing as the Flaks on the outer edges all face outwards.
Aegis'd rear end means you have to be exposed to attack, but also that an attacker cannot get behind your weapons to shoot you. Of course, the 10000hp and the dual nano-guys sort of ruin the effect... the ship is nigh-indestructible.

I should re-build a more balanced ship in this shape... But I'll use some more interesting pieces to give it some character. I like the shape, but it is a little plain still.

And yes, I do know I can rotate weapons :)