Seiya's Work - Ookami reskinning update

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Seiya's Work - Ookami reskinning update

Post by seiya »

Just got BSF yesterday and want to see what people think of my first real attempt. I define real as, not super OP and want to actually make it look nice. I realize this is just using the basic pieces, but it is the first serious one I have done.
Last edited by seiya on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
shadowbane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by shadowbane »

your ship is great for someone just starting out. I'm glad you didn't build a huge eyeburning, overpowered pieco o' crap like most noobs. Your shape is great, the shading is pretty good, though it has a few mistakes, and the red glows are decent if not perfect. Try setting the alpha of the glow to 0.1, and cranking up the spread. And you might want to try SW sections, cause many people find them personally easier to use.

Great ship for a beginner, keep up the good work! :D
grumpy
HamanoKinji
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by HamanoKinji »

It's pretty good... but i suggest using fraxy sprites on the thrusters.. here's a link... http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3677

Hope it helped
[img]http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o414/valkyrion22/Pivots/Signature.png[/img]
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

I think for a new ship creator this is a nice piece of work. There's no clutter, the shape's there, and everything seems about right. I would recommend the fraxy thrusters and changing to SW for the matter, but it is also recommended that you cover up the ship's core.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Yeah, that would have been fairly good pre-CE for a first ship.
We've basically been through two revolutions since then though. (BSFCE, then TSA)
seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiya »

Needless to say, that was hardly my first one.

THIS is the first one I did:
I actually changed the colors to make it easier to see. The basic shape is off a lego construct I did quite a few years ago.

This is proof that I am not above breaking things:
Its shape is also the precursor to the Ascension.

I keep trying to make fighter craft, the best I have managed is this heavy fighter.
don't let the shields fool you, the core has only 50 hp and is pretty open. That said, it is fast enough to get behind ships and do some decent damage.

And finally, the bigger brother of the Ascension. Which I actually started the same night I made my first post. I didnt want to post it until I had a chance to look at it fully awake.
Just kidding, it is a SW version of the ascension. I got my screenshots wrong. I do not like what the front end looks like and I need to figure out something better to do with the middle than the internal glows.

*edit* got the wrong screenshot there.
My name isnt from Saint Seiya. I have never seen the show and never plan to.
Jokarun
Commander
Commander

Post by Jokarun »

I like the non-SWA styled one better than the SWA styled one... the colours don't fit the glows in the latter...
I don't know about you; But I generally don't store games in RAM.
~~Take a cookie~~
J.
seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiya »

Proper SW version of the Ascension. This is not really meant to be used as an ingame ship, but more as a "how nice can I make it look" one. The color is negotiable since it is just a nice neutral color and is not shaded yet. Also, there are a few spots, like the neck, that need some more work. I am debating if I am actually going to arm this or not. I have the feeling I would need to make some custom weapon sprites if I did.

First, its travel form:

And its battle ready form. Note, the red sections will be tied to an aegis generator eventually. The generator will be in the parent of the energy blades as well as the blades having a life of 1 and should go up immediately after the generator goes.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

as well as the blades having a life of 1 and should go up immediately after the generator goes.
you have heard of fake aegis right?

now do the wings actually move out ingame? cause that would add to its sweetness
naysayers will be shot
seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiya »

Doogie12 wrote: ...
you have heard of fake aegis right?

now do the wings actually move out ingame? cause that would add to its sweetness
All the glows you see are fake aegis. I have the actual piece that creates it alpha'ed out to avoid the crappy looking ones on my first attempt.

And right now, the default is for the wings to be folded out, but I do have them setup to be able to fold in. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get them to fold in when the main gun, the big green spot, does not have a target and then fold out when it does. As I said, I am learning as I go. Having modded for RA2, Homeworld 2, Supcom, and who knows how much else, makes it a lot easier to learn new stuff.

And a screenshot of the maingun. Just because I want it to be pretty doesn't mean I won't give it teeth to play with on occasion. So yes, the green glow is not just there to be a green glow.

Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

May I direct you to TSA-Styled Weapon Sprites?
They compliment the sections much better than stock weapon sprites. :D
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Having them fold out with the main weapon having a target, and in when it doesn't can lead to broken animations, if not set for an instantaneous folding out, so it usually pays to avoid this type of animation, also it would fold in and then out again every time it killed an enemy.

It might pay to use them as a one off trigger for several seconds after the ship is deployed.
seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiya »

I think I am going to leave the anim in as button activated. I will be something cool. Unless BSF allows you to do a toggle later that is.

Here is a LARGE gif of the packing up. I am leaving this as a url to save everyone on bandwidth.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee35 ... _beta1.gif

As a note, I know some parts look pretty bad while it is changing. I intend to fix that next. Also a few more parts will be added in.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Good Lord...you've like completely skipped your noob stage...congratulations...your ship is better then most of mine
naysayers will be shot
seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiya »

I want to get some feedback on a possible coloring change. Here is the most current form of the attack mode:

And the movement mode:

As you can see, there have been some very minor, but quite important changes to the movement mode. It looks a lot less like someone shot holes in it. See if you can pick out what else has been added.