My attempt at making a ship...

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Jokarun
Commander
Commander

Post by Jokarun »

Can I suggest you put your pictures in links? Its annoying to scroll down that much...
I don't know about you; But I generally don't store games in RAM.
~~Take a cookie~~
J.
shadowlayer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by shadowlayer »

Ok, I am working on my next hull. I haven't began coloring it, but I want to know how good this next hull is.

http://www.joebebus.com/haha.bmp

EDIT

Is this pretty good?

http://www.joebebus.com/lolz.bmp
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

shadowlayer wrote:Ok, I am working on my next hull. I haven't began coloring it, but I want to know how good this next hull is.

http://www.joebebus.com/haha.bmp

EDIT

Is this pretty good?

http://www.joebebus.com/lolz.bmp
Getting better. The coloring is still off. Try using just two colors at first.
shadowlayer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by shadowlayer »

Ok. First Im gonna put it through the Grinder Skirmage on BF. But Ill get to it. Any other sugestions? Im gonna upload it to my website (joebebus.com). Ill edit and post the like when Im done.

EDIT

Here is the link for the SB4 file:

http://joebebus.com/Tolkien.sb4

Here is the SHP file:

http://joebebus.com/Tolkien.shp
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Taking screenshots in shipmaker. You're doing it wrong. Refer to THIS THREAD.

*.bmp is a horrid format. It's fucktastically huge.
shadowlayer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by shadowlayer »

It doesn't work. Something with my computer I think. It never saves them.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

You might need to make an SMScreenshots folder if there isn't one already.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
shadowlayer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by shadowlayer »

Ok, Ill try that.

EDIT

Well that didn't work :roll:
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Do you have permission to write to said folder? That would certainly explain why screens aren't saving.
shadowlayer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by shadowlayer »

Hmmmm..... Thats an intrieging possibility... 1 Prob though. Microsoft doesn't have a chroot 707 command like Linux... I wish Game Maker games would run on Linux (natively not through WINE). I might try moving it to my Documents. OR... I am so stupid. Just right click and say "Run as Adminestrator"... LOL. Annnnnnd: IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT

Here is a pick of my new color scheme:

unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

You missed a deflector.

And it makes me feel a little green.
But that might be the 8 cookies I just had...

EDIT: Nvm, it's just highlighted.
Last edited by unsunghero10 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lurk more
shadowlayer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by shadowlayer »

unsunghero10 wrote:You missed a deflector.

And it makes me feel a little green.
But that might be the 8 cookies I just had...
What do you mean by I missed a deflector? There are 2 on there... Please explain.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

You can hit "p" to hide the parenting lines. Looks better for presentation.

I share the sentiment of it being a little too overwhelmingly green. Makes it hard to pick out the weapons from the hull as well as make the hull appear to have strange shapes. I never liked re-colorizing weapons in general. If you want to make the weapons less visible, try depthing them (w), which will allow you to cover them with other sections, or hiding them altogether (edit panel, set alpha to 0).

I feel the color scheme you had in the "lolz.bmp" would have been better if you replaced the dark blue with dark green, instead of making the whole thing green. Though some people can pull off having completely colorized ships, I find it's often easier to simply use neutral colors with highlights - there's less of a chance it'll look strange.
shadowlayer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by shadowlayer »

Ok. I think Im gonna start on my next ship, and Im aiming for a, uh, good one. Also I happened to discover something in the readme about my screenshot problem.
[WINDOWS VISTA USERS]

Note that you have to install the game to "C:\Users\Username\Battleships Forever\" (where Username is your username) or you may experience problems with the game.
Now, lets see if that baby runs on Fedora 11 with WINE!

EDIT

Awww. It works, but its as slow as h**l. Stupid embeded Intel graphics card...
shadowlayer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by shadowlayer »

Ok, I have a new fleet. I am working on more ships for it, and I am working on some custom pieces that I will call the "Crysis" pieces, but here I go:

The Crysis Fleet
The Crysis Organization is a rebel group of pirates/bountyhunters who are on whoever's side pays the most. They started as a civilian organization who modified their vessels to fight their enemies. They have ships that are mixes of Military, Civilian, Pirate, Alien, and their own custom parts.

From top left to bottom right:

Crysis 2

A renaissance of older, liquid fuel technology the Crysis 2 is a rather weak ship made of parts from scrapped NASA missions. With a Sabot Cannon as its main offensive weapon it goes rather fast when it gets up to speed, but its acceleration is horrible. And it can hardly turn, making it a very difficult craft to manuever.

Crysis 3

The Crysis 3 is one of the more advanced Crysis ships, featuring one deflector on its rear. This ship is the most powerful ship in Crysis.

Crysis 1

The Crysis 1 is a piece of junk piled out of Pirate, Military and Civilian parts.

Crysis Patrol Unit

The Crysis Patrol unit is based of an Alien core and some Alien technology. It has the best maneuverability and acceleration of any of the Crysis ships. It is rather lacking in interceptors though.

Crysis Interceptor

This defense platform is based of a ship hull, but has had all thrusters removed to make room for lots and lots of interceptors. This ship has no offensive weapons unless you turn his interceptors offensive.