Second BSF Beauty Pageant - FINALLY COMPLETE

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Second BSF Beauty Pageant - FINALLY COMPLETE

Post by Anna »

Well, ladies and gentlemen, here it is! The Second Slightly-More-Often-Than-Annual Battleships Forever Beauty Pageant! For those of you who missed the first one, it's basically a contest, with judges, to see who submits the prettiest ships. There's been a few minor changes to scoring, and there'll be one more judge than last time, so everyone read the rules. Fan Ships are still in a seperate category from Original Ships, because I'd prefer that Original Ships be judged on their own merits, and Fan Ships judged primarily on accuracy compared to the original.

The first two Categories are Original Ships and Fleets.
Original ships and Fleets are ships of your own unique design, and shall be judged on the following criteria:
--- Aesthetics: Aesthetics is the over-all attractiveness of the ship. Naturally, this is almost entirely subjective, but then again, most things are. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.
--- Originality: The more unique and original your ship design is, the higher your score shall be in this category. Note: An un-original concept can still make for an original ship. Many of the judges last time said that "Alien Ships are unoriginal", which was silly, since the specific design was very original. Big, hulking Terran ships are unoriginal too, yet they didn't give low originality scores to any of them.
--- Creativity: Creativity is similar to Originality, but focuses more on how the ship is constructed, and how pieces are used. An unorthodox or original use of ship pieces would score higher points in creativity. Innovation in terms of piece usage is key here. A ship can be very aestheticly pleasing, and very original, but still fall short in this criteria. The opposite is true. A creatively designed ship isn't always necessarily original or beautiful.
--- Functionality: This criteria not only regards how functional your ship is in play, but also how functional it appears aestheticly. If people look at your ship and think "that looks practical and functional", you'll probably score high points here. Ships with extra detail, reactors and the like, will probably score better than ships without.Note: If a ship is meant to be a derelict, for example, and looks as functional as a derelict would, then you cannot give it a low functionality score. Doing so is an obvious misinterpretation of this rule. Functionality is scored from 1-5 instead of 1-10.
--- Backstory: This criteria isn't strictly necessary, and you don't have to write a backstory for your ship if you desire, however, if you choose not to write a backstory, you will score an automatic zero in this category. Backstory is scored from 1-5 instead of 1-10.

The third Category in the competition is for Fan Ships.
Fan ships are ships from a science-fiction franchise or movie, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc, or a video-game series. Basically, a ship not of your own design, but instead a pre-existing ship that you recreated in BSF. The criteria for this section are:
--- Aesthetics: Same as above. If the ship is ugly, it will recieve a low score. 1-10
--- Creativity: Same as above. 1-10
--- Accuracy: How accurate the ship is to the original, in terms of appearance. 1-10
--- Functionality: How accurate the ship is to the original, in terms of weapons load-out and the like. If you make the Enterprise-E and arm it with nothing but Railguns and Tachyon Repeaters, for example, you'll score horribly here. 1-10

Judges can chose to give a score of 0 in a certain criteria, if they feel the ship is especially deserving of it, but for the most part, scores are being 1-5 or 1-10. There aren't many rules for this competition, but what few rules there are are as follows.

1. Ships must not have already been posted on this forum: This isn't a hard and fast rule, but is is prefered. I would rather that people create new ships for this competition, instead of just handing in old ones that they made in the past.
2. Judges cannot submit ships: This is an obvious one. Judges cannot also enter ships in the competition.
3. No plagiarism: This is an obvious one too, but I feel it needs to be stated anyway. Ships entered by you, must have been made by you. No exceptions. If you submit a ship made by someone else, and you're found out, you will be disqualified, on the spot, no questions about it. NO EXCEPTIONS.
4. Be Polite: If you're not one of the Judges, you do not judge anyone's ship. You do not make insulting remarks to other contestants, and you do not abuse the Judges, if they do something you dislike, or give you a bad score. Failure to comply with this rule will likely result in disqualification.

There are also rules for becoming and acting as a Judge:
1. Seniority: The first four people to ask for the job will get it, with a few exceptions. One of those is that, unless you've got a post count of at least 100 posts, you are ineligable. Sorry, but that doesn't seem unreasonable.
2. English: All Judges must be able to use proper spelling and grammar. Comments on ships in the judging phase should be at least two or three sentences long.
3. Getting the Job Done: If you will not be able to Judge the ships properly for any reason (i.e. school, work, a download or image filter that prevents you from testing the ships out, etc.) then do not apply for the position.
4. Making it Personal: Judges must be impartial. You cannot give someone a low score because you dislike them. If their ship is bad, score it on that, if not, score it appropriately, instead of decreasing the score because you dislike the person submitting it. Also, keep in mind that this is an aesthetics contest. Regardless of your opinion of ship power, you judge a ship by its appearance, not by how powerful its guns are. Weapon balance has NO place in this competition, so do not make judgements based upon it.

I think that covers everything. Questions can be posted here, or sent to me via PM. Ship entries are also posted here, along with an image (preferably in .png format), and a download to a .shp file. If you want to be a Judge, post in this thread. The first four people to ask, who meet the requirements and weren't judges in the last competition, will be accepted. Ship entries are open until the 12th of January.

Good luck, one and all!
Last edited by Anna on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Anna

Post by Anna »

--- Competition Entrants ---

Original Ships:
--- Velvet Hammer II by Lizzie [Download Link]
--- Ananke Sparrow by derekiv [Download Link]
--- Broadsword by Giles [Download Link]
--- Heavy Cruiser - 01 by Machenoid Disqualified for Lack of Download
--- SDX-A 003 Superdreadnought by Siber [Download Link]
--- SGS Megaera-002b by GenericSS [Download Link]
--- Heaven's Last by Wilbky [Download Link]
--- Royal Aralonian Naval Ship Norien Elson by Aralonia [Download Link]
--- Geisberg Fortress by goduranus [Download Link]
--- Needle of God by Boba Fetuccini [Download Link]
--- Grim by Ulric Jorgensson Disqualified for Lack of Download
--- Ravana by Talhydras [Download Link]
--- Bia3 by Natch [Download Link]

Fan Ships:
--- Warning Forever Ship by Talhydras [Download Link]
--- Conestoga class starship by Syngyne [Download Link]
--- Victory-class Star Destroyer by goduranus [Download Link]
--- Beacon Core (Gradius V version) by Ixranin [Download Link]
--- Minbari Sharlin (Babylon 5) by Auriak [Download Link]
--- The Chmmr Avatar (Star Control 2) by error [Download Link]
--- Colonial Viper Mk. II by _Ti__ [Download Link]

Fleets:
--- New Terran Defense Force by M123 [Download Link]
--- Faladhi Fleet by Talhydras [Download Link]
--- Terran Battlefleet by Shenaldrac [Download Link]
--- New Eden Fleet by goduranus [Download Link]
--- Third Generation Aralonian Navy by Aralonia [Download Link]
--- BF-Pride class by Zeron [Download Link]
--- Dalvitan Authority Fleet by Siber [Download Link]
--- Iryian Navy by Fuiste [Download Link]
--- Schkrin Extrasolar Navy by Tsakara [Download Link]
--- Entomeda-Pax Armada by ranmafan [Download Link]

--- Judges ---
--- Anna
--- Arcalane
--- Chaos Theory
--- Himura.Kenshin
--- BoVinE
Last edited by Anna on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:56 am, edited 24 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Stickied.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Check list:
Seniority check
English: check (Aspell - for the horrible speller: double-check)
Getting the job done: check (I'm Home most of the week.)
Making it Personal: I'm impartial. Don't care if it is a lizzie monolith or a 5-post new guy. If I like it I like it. And I like almost anything.Except UBN... <_<

So the Problem...
2. Judges cannot submit ships: This is an obvious one. Judges cannot also enter ships in the competition.
I'll have to weigh this out...
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Anna wrote:The third Category in the competition is for Fan Ships.
Fan ships are ships from a science-fiction franchise or movie, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc, or a video-game series.
Just out of curiosity, can that include Kirby or Final Fantasy?
Anna

Post by Anna »

TheBlueEcho wrote:
Fan ships are ships from a science-fiction franchise or movie, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc, or a video-game series.
Uh... well, if you want to build a battleship based upon a ship in either Kirby or Final Fantasy, sure... I wouldn't really suggest it, but you can do so, if you'd like to.
Quality Control Enforcer
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Anna wrote:
TheBlueEcho wrote:
Uh... well, if you want to build a battleship based upon a ship in either Kirby or Final Fantasy, sure... I wouldn't really suggest it, but you can do so, if you'd like to.
It will probaly score low because it is not Sci-Fi.
Talhydras
Commander
Commander

Post by Talhydras »

Hey, I'd like to throw my Warning Forever ship into the Fan Ships category.

Available for DL here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... F_Ship.sb2

And in .shp form here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... F_Ship.shp

(Shameless self plug)
Some screenies are here, along with a suitable (though massively unfinished and kinda crap looking) target: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 4773#14773
Last edited by Talhydras on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

I'd like to submit the Velvet Hammer II.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... onitor.shp

Haven't even posted the ship up before now, so no back story yet.
And I'm not going to post up a SB2 file for it.
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

Well, I've been inactive for a while so it looks like I don't quite meet the judging requirements this time around. I suppose maybe I'll throw something together after finals are done with, or maybe just sit this one out.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Lizzie wrote:...And I'm not going to post up a SB2 file for it.
Good thing to, otherwise we'll have 100 wonkafide velvet hammers.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

Okay, I'll post the final version of my Sparrow Here
Here is a picture:

Here is a picture showing my parenting:
Anna

Post by Anna »

Well... things are coming along nicely. I do need some Judges, though.
Quality Control Enforcer
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

I already have what I'm going to build planned out. Still have to build it. It's gonna be grand.

I would use shipmaker 3.0 BETA, but it still has the depth glitch.
AWARDS:
[i]Most Innovative Shipmaker[/i]
[i]Shipmaker With Most Utility/Balance[/i]
[i]Most Annoying Member[/i]
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

I'd judge again if you could make an exception and if people didn't think my judging last time was horrible. No worries if you can't though.