HorseMonster Spaceships

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

HorseMonster Spaceships

Post by HorseMonster »

So I downloaded the game the other day and since it's pretty cool I thought I'd come to here.

You guys don't appear to have a newbie introduction thread or forums, and that's good because on boards that do nobody ever actually reads newbie introduction threads and newbie introduction forums are just filled with threads made by people expecting to be fondly greated by people who just don't give a shit.

So yes, I thought that the best thing to do would be to post some spaceships.

Here are some spaceships that I made, they are kind of meant to resemble aesthetically exaggerated real-world spacestations, being constructed of discreet modules and having large, easily visible thrusters, they are also meant to show a clear design lineage panning out over the course of about a century with each design getting more "practical" in game terms as time goes on whilst also getting gradually less "realistic". I use quotations there because we are talking about a 2D computer game about spaceships here.

Here are Spaceships:

Yuxko Type patrol ship

The earliest armed interplanetary spacecraft in the canon that I am using. The large gree sections are propellant tanks.

Plukcicon Type Attack Craft

The first ship to attempt to implement armour systems, also equipped with long range missiles with better guidance systems, has an additional armoury section so that it packs more of a punch. The major disadvantage of this design is that due to its long body and armoured front it's turning ability and acceleration are both awful. That and it looks like a penis.

Oboloion Technology Demonstrator

Ships designed to be heavily armoured are more massive then unarmoured ships, which means in order to achieve the same levels of acceleration they must expend more reaction mass, it is for this reason that the Oboloion introduces more propellant tanks than rpevious ships, also, to prevent damage to the propellant tanks they are connected to the ship by a newly designed armoured section. The Oboloion is also the first ship to feature laser armament in the form of a single rapidly pulsed laser emitter.

Yubiliodus Type Attack Craft

A new attack ship fully implementing the new technologies and design concepts introduced in the Oboloion. Armed with a dual pulse laser turret and a missile section the Yubiliodus was, at the time of its construction, the most heavily armed ship ever constructed. Parts of the armour on the propellant tank connector section were removed to make room for additional attitude control thrusters, giving the Yubiliodus improved turning capability compared to older, similarly sized ships.

Thumilopilios Type Attack Craft (refit)

Not actually a new design, the Thumilopilios is an upgrade that was applied to the Yubiliodus to extend their service life. The Thumilopilios upgrade replaces the Yubiliodus' missile battery with an additional pulse laser turret and replaces the old flak turrets with point defence lasers, the Thumilopilios also features better armour placement than previous ships.

Chukamillio Type Heavy Attack Craft

After the profound success of the Thumilopilios type a demand for a larger craft in the same vein was made apparent, the result was the Chukamillio. The Chukamillio features three dual pulse laser turrets and a heavy guided missile rack. The mass of the craft did however warrant the addition of large, dedicated RCS sections in order for it to maintain maneuverability, though this does have the interesting effect of making it able to turn without having to rely on directed thrust from the main drive.

I think the last two or maybe three are much better than the rest, personally.

What do you think, how can I make them better and where should I go from here?
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

well they kinda looks like the space station

Missing the solar panels though.

try making the modules a little more detailed.
Last edited by Noctis on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

They look like space stations because they were intended to.
Here are some spaceships that I made, they are kind of meant to resemble aesthetically exaggerated real-world spacestations, being constructed of discreet modules and having large, easily visible thrusters, they are also meant to show a clear design lineage panning out over the course of about a century with each design getting more "practical" in game terms as time goes on whilst also getting gradually less "realistic".
Anyhow, they're pretty good for first ships and certainly look fairly unique. I haven't seen too many "modern spacecraft" inspired ships.
Veronw
Commander
Commander

Post by Veronw »

They definitely give a sense of modular construction, I like them a lot, they aren't overarmed or overpowered either..
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Ah... Like that one guy before that made modular ships you've inspired me to try out making some modular ships of my own.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

It is encouraging to see so many generally postitive responses to my first post.
Noctis wrote:well they kinda looks like the space station

*Image Removed*

Missing the solar panels though.

try making the modules a little more detailed.
My other idea was this, perhaps you will like this one a bit more.

praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

PLEASE, download link!!!
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

To be honest, I liked the style more without the solar panels. You would hope that a warship would have better sources of power than solar energy - but they could look good on transport and civilian variants.

The current day modular style is pretty cool though... but I did prefer the traditional BSF style than the last couple.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Those aren't solar panels, they are radiators.
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

The newer one is much cooler in my opinion. Just the conversion to SW style makes it much more realistic looking. Try converting the others.

The real strength of the original ones was that the small parts fit together so well and looked really nice, but were still a little empty for my tastes. Converting them should make them just right.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Two more ships in the previous style.

Because someone requested it I'll have a download for all three up shortly.

EDIT: Here is your download link
Last edited by HorseMonster on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

After I made a bunch of spaceships in the previously demonstrated style I felt sad, because as far as I am aware there have been no attempts by anyone to make spaceships in a similar vein, as in making them resemble existing space-thingies so there is nothing interesting to fight them against. So I threw together some new sections and now we have this.

What do you think? Should I make more ships in this vein or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

HorseMonster wrote:After I made a bunch of spaceships in the previously demonstrated style I felt sad, because as far as I am aware there have been no attempts by anyone to make spaceships in a similar vein, as in making them resemble existing space-thingies so there is nothing interesting to fight them against. So I threw together some new sections and now we have this.

What do you think? Should I make more ships in this vein or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Problem is/was that there are/were no sections in this style up until now. That said, it might be interesting to see some fleets of these guys duking it out. You should probably release your sections. ;)

Speaking of which, you should probably check out Se7en's SW-ized weapons, since the stock styled ones don't really fit on the new style.

In any case, they strongly remind me of Outpost 1/2, and they look rather neat. Realistic, but not overly so.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

They're really well done and nice looking, but they're not... I'm not sure how to say this. They're not really aesthetically interesting or pleasing. They're like space-stations/satellites combined with modern day rockets. And while that's a really unique concept for that sigh, and you did it really well, it's just not really... pretty.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

I really liked the style of the first batch of normal-styled ships - I really think you lost the originality when you shifted to the SWA styled sections. As Anna points out, they are pretty boring :/
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]