Natan's Minifleet Project

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

natan_j
Commander
Commander

Natan's Minifleet Project

Post by natan_j »

Still unnamed, pending storyline development.
Full Download

--Ship stats will be re-done later--

Comments and criticism welcome, and if you'd like to make another fleet balanced to this one, just pm me.
Last edited by natan_j on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:22 am, edited 9 times in total.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267]Ships of the Imperial Tul'tharian Navy.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878]Minifleet Project.[/url]
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

Nice and simple ship, there is some great detailing too. for eleven sections, not bad at all. Try to put the same idea into larger, more powerful ships.
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

I love small, detailed ships! This one is great, and you can expand on the theme easily. I hope you intend to make a fleet out of this.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

That's one small and sweet ship. Great work. :D

MastaerCheef Happee
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

when you say 'Terran' destroyer, do you refer to Terran from StarCraft, or some other Terran?

That is an incredibly awesome ship for a ship that size. can't wait to see more.
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

Terran
"of or pertaining to the planet Earth," 1881, in science fiction writing
Dictionary

it's not really a term you have to use in reference to anything in particular...

Ontopic- very nice ship. great use of doodads, and it feels very intricate while still being simple (:?) at the same time. looking forward to the rest of the fleet.
natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

Yeah, it's just a working name right now, as I'm still working on the storyline and such, and that's the general style I'm going for; blocky, jury-rigged, and neutrally colored.
Glad you guys like it so far, I'm working on more ships, and for this fleet I'm focusing on making new designs by use, not by size, so there won't be one ship of each size ranking like so many other fleets.

I do have a corvette-sized vessel done, but is currently still being balanced, so no dl yet.
This is about as small as the ships will get, the biggest being about 2-3 times bigger than the destroyer. I know it's hard to see at 100% zoom, but they look quite good in-game.Maybe I'll post some action shots later.

As for the armament of these ships, larger ships have the capability to power strong shielding systems, as well as the weaponry that can pierce said shielding. So larger ships will focus on taking down each other with their beam cannons, while smaller vessels try to overpower enemy shields with crippling amounts of incoming fire. Pulse cannons are used for blanket fire, while missiles make for good shield-piercing and seeking weaponry. The effects of shielding stacks (the shields being point beams), so groups of shielded ships will stick together for protection, as well as protecting other unshielded ships.
I'm quite happy with how the combat has turned out so far, and I encourage you to try an even match of destroyers, you vs enemy AI, just to try the combat system. Strategy actually has an effect in battles, which I am also quite happy with. Comments on how the ships look are great, but I'd also appreciate tips on the combat system, balancing nitpicks, etc.

Here's hoping I finish this! :D
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267]Ships of the Imperial Tul'tharian Navy.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878]Minifleet Project.[/url]
natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

Bah, no replies? Oh well, got a bunch of corvettes done:
Corvette:

Heavy Corvette:

Light Corvette:

Missile Corvette:

I'll update the first post with the downloads tomorrow, after I check for the usual mistakes. Until then, comments please?

Oh, and I've got an action shot:

Notes to myself on ship classes:
Corvette - smallest capital ship class, cannot support shields or heavy weaponry
Frigate - small capital ship class that can support shields and heavy weaponry, but just barely, so usually equipped with only one or the other.
Destroyer - smallest class able to power both heavy weaponry and shielding, though specialized roles may sacrifice one for more of the other.
Cruiser - larger than a destroyer, main focus is on shielding, as it is lighter than heavy weaponry, granting more mobility.
Battleship - heavy capital ship class, carries large amounts of shielding and heavy weaponry; are very expensive and rarely seen.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

I love it! They're small, cute, and nearly stockbalanced, a rarity these days with the penisbricks and hundred-mile-long Terrorships these days. They look hella fun to play with :D
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

natan_j you are a freaking genius. I take my hat off to you. :D
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

*clap* *clap* *clap* *whistle*

that is all.
Admiral Evars
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Admiral Evars »

An awesome ship, but "almost stockbalanced"? I had no problems wiping out Nagaship V3 with just the destroyer, no sections destroyed.
In space, no one can hear your spaceship's hull being blown into little, tiny, bits.

(Except you. But then, you're about to be dead.)
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Admiral Evars wrote:An awesome ship, but "almost stockbalanced"? I had no problems wiping out Nagaship V3 with just the destroyer, no sections destroyed.
Hey, that's what it said on the tin; not my fault I got it wrong. Is it can be DL tiem nao?
natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

Yes, it can be dl time, top of first post for the link.

About the balancing, I had scaled down HP and damage ratings by a factor of 5 to help balance with AD's new fleet, so now it's much more stock-ish balanced. Enjoy. :)
Thanks to everyone who posted, it's nice to have replies instead of silence for a change.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Aren't they adorable?