Assault the Mothership 2: Team BETA discussion

Various custom ship tournaments go here, along with old encounters.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Yep, unless those frigates have good pd, they get owned by missles in the proper numbers. (especially coming in from differnt directions)

Idea for fleet placement- Natch up front, followed by the slower pummelers. The other close range DPS ships next with better speed, in the rear the Mothergoose 2. Who will overtake all ships, but Natch's and fire her volley of Goslings to keep the big Mother's flak distracted. Natch distracts the Mother, I distract her pd with gosling fire. The rest pummel her to death.

Comus wrote:A slightly modified version of the venerable Rao-class battleship:

Rao III-G

Battleship

Core - 500 HP (0 points)
Max Speed - 1.3 (13 points)
Accel - 0.04 (4 points)
Turning - .56 (7 points)
Sections - 24 (12 points)
Extra Sec HPx8 (8 points)

Hull Subtotal - 44 points

Pointbeams x4 - (8 points)
Pulsar x 8 - (32 points)
Deflectors x4 - (16 points)

Weapons and Mods Subtotal - 56 points

Total - 100 points

Opinions? I'd post a D/L, but the sever is glitching for me at the moment.

Remove 3 speed, two sections, and one deflector.
Add two more pulsars.

Or remove 4 speed and one Deflector, add 2 pulsars.

More firepower the better.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

I notice that ships of the same speed tend to cluster up into a group. Maybe we should use this to our advatage?
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

No no no.

We want to surround the ship, and attack it from all sides, so it can't raise deflectors, and spends more time turning if it destroys one of our ships.

Right?
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Well, we have two groups of ships, with relatively the same stats, so they cluster and defend each other. Either the MS goes for the flankers and gets it butt ripped off or it goes for the brawlers and gets its insides shredded by Lancets.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Yeah, but if they cluster, that means weapons like Tachyon Repeaters will be more effective, since they can hit multiple targets.

And I believe deflector failure would be quite simultaneous for the ships, anyway.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

If you stuff everything to the gills with flak AND stack all your ships, tacs and projectiles mean nothing.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

If you start off three ships on one side, then four ships on the other...they'll split off to each side of there target. Natch's ship starts in the middle front.

M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

Anarki wrote:Yeah, but if they cluster, that means weapons like Tachyon Repeaters will be more effective, since they can hit multiple targets.
Yep, that happened when I tested my HBP ships against the old mothership. They all formed into a massive ball, got shredded by the megatachyons, and then got even more shredded by the parts blown off by the megatachyons, causing the ships to explode. Which sent even more shrapnel out, killing all of the survivors. :cry:
Comus
Commander
Commander

Post by Comus »

I hope the real mothership 2 doesn't have as many flak cannons as the one we're testing with. We'll never get a shot through.
Mr_Wizard
Commander
Commander

Post by Mr_Wizard »

Thats actually one of the main reasons I think Alpha Team had so much trouble with first mothership. The could get past the massive amount of laser PD the test ship had, but the real mothership could stop a lot of their fire power with just 8 flaks.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Mr_Arch_Wizard/transpdiscovery.gif[/img]
Kalanosis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kalanosis »

I'm testing my latest design now. I've made a bombardment battleship with HP of about 1500.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Sounds promising, can't wait to see it.

Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

If the alien ship has flak, then maybe it's a good idea to switch to railgun lancet bombardment - strip the mothership of it's weapons.
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

I tested my ship against the test mothership.

Why the hell do the ships turn their turrets and fire at the damn aegis'd sections?! They blew off the centre aegis'd sections, then started attacking the ones on the sides, even though there was a huge opening in the middle of the ship - straight to the core! :evil:

My ship would have won if it hadn't kept on attacking the damn aegis. :x
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

The downfall of beamer designs, scatters seems to work against multiple sections if your looking for more of a spread effect. Not really sure what to suggest beyond that.

If the alien ship has flak, then maybe it's a good idea to switch to railgun lancet bombardment - strip the mothership of it's weapons.
Upto everyone else, I think I'm going with the new Mother Goose. That or making a more effective Tac spitter. Either ship will serve the team well, with the strategy (s) we have going. Goose distracts PD, and pummels from afar. Tac spitter brings serious offense to the mix. Not sure in which direction I'll head just yet, still waiting on each members entry so I can see what were lacking if anything.