Repost: Non-monitor custom fleet combat challenge

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

goduranus
Captain
Captain

Repost: Non-monitor custom fleet combat challenge

Post by goduranus »

To facilitate myself and fellow forum members to learn from each other, improve ship designs, and develope fleet engagement tactics. I propose a friendly, simulated, fleet engagement challenge open to fellow forum members with fleets roughly balanced to my own. You can pick any formation of your ships you like, given that you think your fleet is roughly balanced against the one I post. The fleets do not have to be of equal number. I would also appreciate if you could post some pictures that capture the flow of the battle.

Please use 4000X4000 or larger maps, or fleets might not have enough space to deploy and maneuver. The longest ranged weapon in my fleet has a range of 2000(that single moded beamer on the Karl Beam artillery), and you should set the Maxrange in game settings to a bigger number if you find that long ranged ships are not firing. Please also use AI control for both sides for fairness.

You can throw in any fleet you think is rough balanced to this. However, no stations or really big monitors for now.

I will use the following fleet:

2 Tiger Battleships Upgrade I
1 Tiger Battleship - Railgun variant Upgrade I
2 Panther cruisers
2 Karl Plasma artillery cruiser
1 Karl Long range beam artillery cruiser
1 Kirin Carrier
2 Werewolf Destroyers
2 Wolf Railgun Artillery Destroyers
3 Hound Attack Boats
4 Raptor-upgrade Advanced fighter[ Replace with 4 basic fighter - Viper EMP]
4 Thunderer-upgrade Advanced bomber[ Replace with 4 basic Cobra Lancer]
1 Repair ship(in Utility Ships folder)
2 Hydra Distraction drones(in Specials folder)

Roughly arranged in this formation:

17th Combined Regiment awaiting simulated combat challenge

EDIT: I've tried Raptor and Thunderer against myself, and they seem insanely hard to fight off without monitors, so unless you really want to, don't use Raptor and Thunderer. Replace them with 4 Viper EMP and 4 Cobra Lancers from the basic fighter folder.

Edit: Enerbrian ships make really good fight against these.

click my sig to download my fleet.
Last edited by goduranus on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
sarnas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by sarnas »

Hey, me and the great people at www.tauonline.org were thinking of making a rating system.

So far it includes for every 2 sections (Not abltative armour) you may have one weapon, and certain weapons have a negative modifier to speed and turning, but this is just for us.

(IF you want to read and see more, here is a direct link to the topic http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=54812.0 th15 knows of us, but if this linking breaks any rules, just let me know)

So, can we get like, a download link of your fleet?
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Damn you! I dreamed of this to happen, but your ships are far too small (or have too few sections) for my tastes :(

*goes into his corner and starts crying*
goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

@ sarnas. Hi there, my fleet isn't balanced against according to any rules, they're rough made to balance against other people ships. We have other people making rules for competitive matches as well, you and your friends are welcome to reference them.

Here's the penny arcade tournament, they just finished a 1v1 tournament, and are moving on for a mothership assault type game.
Click

click my sig to download my ships.
Last edited by goduranus on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

EDITED: Damn you and your ninja edits :P
goduranus wrote:Here's the penny arcade tournament, they just finished a 1v1 tournament, and are moving on for a mothership assault type game.
Now thats an awesome idea.
Last edited by Kaelis on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

Kaelis wrote:Damn you! I dreamed of this to happen, but your ships are far too small (or have too few sections) for my tastes :(

*goes into his corner and starts crying*

Bigger ships tend to be harder to balance, and a proper fleet of them arranged in battle formation tend to have the game slowed to a slide show. With just small ships like these, I am already down to 17 fps, and I haven't added enemy ships yet.

But you're welcome to fight these if you like

Krator, Fleet in a Can

Geisberg Fortress

Kaelis wrote:EDITED: Damn you and your ninja edits :P
lol
sarnas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by sarnas »

I'll take 5000 of my fighters against all you've got... and lose...

My fighters are small (Small core and two small wings for looks) and have a pulse gun with 2 reload and 3 damage. Yeah... they don't do m uch, but they make the game look cool.

I'm working on a fleet for this right now.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

2x County-A CA
1x County-C CE
4x Town-A CS
3x Town-B CE
3x Town-C CR/G (or whatever the hell my missile ship designation is)

That should be good. I don't operate any destroyer-type vessels at the moment, I'll replace the Town-Bs with them if required
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
_Ti__
Commander
Commander

Re: Repost: Non-monitor custom fleet combat challenge

Post by _Ti__ »

goduranus wrote: Edit: Enebrian ships make really good fight against these.
Interesting, Ill prepare my Navy for some 8 fps fights tomorrow
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2315][b]ENEBRA COLONIAL NAVY[/b][/url]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/_Ti__/ECNsig.jpg[/img]
goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

Like I said above, I'm gonna trade Raptors out for Vipers and Thunderer for Cobras, because I think Raptors and Thunderers are too hard to shoot down.

I'm also nerfing the Hydra Distractor boat a bit.
Fuiste
Commander
Commander

Post by Fuiste »

WARNING TO ALL THOSE 56K'ers OUT THERE! LOTS AND LOTS OF PICS INCOMING!

Well anyways, I accept thyne challenge to a fleet battle, though I think I underestimated the NEN... You shall see. These 14 images were captured from the simulation of an engagement between NEN 17th combined regiment and the Iryian Strata battle group.

Without any further adieu...

Yeah, I waay underestimated the power of your ships there mate. Though I think my Litanies need some serious nerfage... 'thought no deflectors and minimal hull would be enough, but they still dominated the battle for my side. Oh well.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Dang, that was entertaining. I definately gotta make a few-piece fleet, despite my prejudice :)
Last edited by Kaelis on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeron
Captain
Captain

Post by Zeron »

Ima makin one right now, I can't wait to see the next few battles!
Fade-in,fade-out
goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

That was some great action. I wonder what happened with the last couple of ships there, did the Litany manage to turn the tide of battle?
Fuiste
Commander
Commander

Post by Fuiste »

I think it was two parts, one being the Litany's power, but also, In the end, Iryian forces were only being chased by a tiger and a few destroyers, all of which were pretty badly damaged. This low number of ships allowed the Litanies to concentrate fire from 2 directions, circumventing the deflectors of the Tiger. Then, when the Tiger and the destroyers were gone, no other ships were within AI range, and singe both sides were AI controlled the fight was a sort of stalemate, with heavier losses on the Iryian Side.

EDIT: I might also add that despite its appearence, the Litany does NOT have continuous fire blasters. They are 6, 20-clip, 5-damage gat blasters with 250 degree arcs.