New Ships of Seraphim Industries - Updated 08/03/08

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

The beam layering effect goes especially well with green. I feel a rip-off around the corner.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Master Chief wrote:The beam layering effect goes especially well with green. I feel a rip-off around the corner.
You do know that's been around for ages, don't you?
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

BoVinE wrote:
Master Chief wrote:The beam layering effect goes especially well with green. I feel a rip-off around the corner.
You do know that's been around for ages, don't you?
I know. But it's just that the green is soooo aesthetically appealing. For some reason.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

I know that you ARE the best shipbuilder here, but In my opinion, some of your ships, mainly the last one, the one with the beamcannon, seem to lack detail. Seriously, look at where the "wings" end, there is a big gaping area of black there with no detail. Also I think that the white section 4's on the wings look a bit weird. And, repetition on the main cannon, looks bad.

Other than that, most of your ships are great, although some of them have some (literaly) rough edges, mainly the astral light. Some of the places on the hull look jagged and rough.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Commodore111 wrote:I know that you ARE the best shipbuilder here, but In my opinion, some of your ships, mainly the last one, the one with the beamcannon, seem to lack detail.
Sometimes too much detail overburdens a ship and makes them look cluttered.
Seriously, look at where the "wings" end, there is a big gaping area of black there with no detail.
That was the idea. The whole point of the outlining technique is that I can leave large portions of the hull blank and it doesn't hurt things, or make them look unnecessarily cluttered. That said, there's probably something cool I could've done there that I missed.
Also I think that the white section 4's on the wings look a bit weird.

They're slightly off, yes.
And, repetition on the main cannon, looks bad.
No, it doesn't. Perhaps you think it does, but one row of one section does not constitute "excessive repetition", and I think it looks fine. I've used it ever since September or October of last year. Please, tell me another way to get a long, even, smooth barrel without repetition. Section 4 works much better for it than Section 22 or any other section. If you don't like it, I genuinely do not give a rat's ass.
Other than that, most of your ships are great, although some of them have some (literaly) rough edges, mainly the astral light. Some of the places on the hull look jagged and rough.
All the jagged parts on the Astral Light were either intentional, or largely unavoidable, within the boundaries of the shipmaker and what it can do.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

Anna wrote: Sometimes too much detail overburdens a ship and makes them look cluttered.
Not if you do it right.

That said, there's probably something cool I could've done there that I missed.
:D

and I think it looks fine. I've used it ever since September or October of last year. Please, tell me another way to get a long, even, smooth barrel without repetition. Section 4 works much better for it than Section 22 or any other section.
You could just not do a smooth barrel and try to get something different.
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Commodore111 wrote:Words
Facepalm.

Commodore, you have no idea of what you're talking about. To prove it, why don't you take those suggestions and build a ship. He's done the barrel fine, and he fucking knows how to do detail.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Heh. Slice.

Uber-beam is definitely not an understatement.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

It plowed straight through not one, but two Vernatio Deus. The third was only saved by its shielded cannon mount.

Damn that is a Über beam.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

DoubleThink wrote:
Commodore111 wrote:Words
Facepalm.

Commodore, you have no idea of what you're talking about. To prove it, why don't you take those suggestions and build a ship. He's done the barrel fine, and he fucking knows how to do detail.
I'm pretty sure that he both knows more what hes talking about than you do, and has built plenty of ships. Also, I think that Anna is capable of both taking criticism and defending his work when that criticism isn't accurate. Stop channeling your avatar.

The repetition on the barrel isn't excessive, nor did he say it was. Its a bit plain compared to the detail on the rest of the ship, but then its a BIG FUCKING BARREL. By the time you get to examine that area firsthand, I don't think it matters much.

Just out of curiosity, what did you do to the beam besides the obvious wankage on the damage? How many beams did you have to layer for that effect? I like the isolated reactor, good weakness... Now I gotta try this out to see if thats its only weakness or if it turns slowly... As always my favorite part of your ships is the red accenting
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

IIRC there are eleven beams, each doing 1k damage. This means that unlike the Earthshaker's purplebeam (for example), it is less effective against lots of small pieces; but if it can focus them onto a single large section then it can break though.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Well, from the looks of it, it went through all the little pieces on the side of two Vernatio Deus just fine. :P
Anna

Post by Anna »

Droid wrote:It plowed straight through not one, but two Vernatio Deus. The third was only saved by its shielded cannon mount.
No, it wasn't. :lol: I just took the screenshot at that time. It tore right through Veneratio Deus #3 in less than a second afterwards.
Commodore111 wrote:You could just not do a smooth barrel and try to get something different.
Thank you for proving my point. :roll: I wanted a smooth barrel, dipshit. The whole ship is a giant motherfucking beamcannon. That's kind of the point.
Just out of curiosity, what did you do to the beam besides the obvious wankage on the damage? How many beams did you have to layer for that effect? I like the isolated reactor, good weakness... Now I gotta try this out to see if thats its only weakness or if it turns slowly... As always my favorite part of your ships is the red accenting
Eleven megabeams with 1k damage each was what I used to get the layering effect. The ones closest to the center are more clustered together, and the further out they go, the more spread out they are, with the outer-most two on either side shaded light-green and dark-green respectively.

It's quite slow in comparison to other SIUS ships of equal size (the Cu Chulainn, for example), but compared to the norm, its speed and turning abilities are probably about average or slightly above average for a ship of its size.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

Another new ship.

The X25 Laevateinn-class Beamcannon has been released into service. Unlike the X24 Balmung, this ship has weak armour and is very poorly shielded, and it's beamcannon is approximately six times weaker. However, on the upside, it is very fast, highly maneuverable and quite cheap to build. It is best fielded in packs of 3-6. Other than its main cannon and its point defense system, it has no other weapons.

Download the Laevateinn.

The Laevateinn's beamcannon is a scaled-down version of the one on the Balmung.
Quality Control Enforcer
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

I like this one more than the previous super beam ship. Its alot more concise as a composition and the barrel isn't as distracting. But I'm a minimalist so that's just preference(pay no attention to my BSG thread).

However, I'm curious as to your reason why you made that super stretch circle piece in the middle. I think its fuzzyness detracts from the rest of the ship which is fairly sharp and contrasty.
Don’t worry it has airbags.